Police, EMS, Fire, Ham radio Scanner

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 3/30/2020 at 10:39 AM, Guest Grey One said:

Some of the carriers also include the digital system.  I monitor NW Michigan and the Metro Detroit area.

https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/

But nothing better than having your properly programmed scanner, one of the best i have found out there is the Uniden BCD996T, it's a trunk tracker and has a near field feature which is real handy when you are physically close to the target transmitter. 

I gave up scanners after doing a ride-along two years ago. I saw first hand how anything juicy goes over the cell phone and not on the air. The Sgt. I rode with took every call that night over his cell phone, plus chit-chatted with his officers over it. May just be a thing in my AO, but made me realize how much I wasn't hearing on the scanner.

23 minutes ago, Tempstar said:

I gave up scanners after doing a ride-along two years ago. I saw first hand how anything juicy goes over the cell phone and not on the air. The Sgt. I rode with took every call that night over his cell phone, plus chit-chatted with his officers over it. May just be a thing in my AO, but made me realize how much I wasn't hearing on the scanner.

Scanners are very useful for understanding what is happening during an incident at least in the areas I monitor, the primary reason is at least here they want a record of what was said and by whom, so they just work incidents over the air most of the time on another channel and sooner or later a dispatcher will be assigned to that channel. 

Now some agencies are becoming impossible to monitor, the primary one being Florida's State Law Enforcement Radio System is one of them, it's a encrypted 800MHz EDACS digital system, all state agencies and a lot of local agencies have migrated to SLERS, so far no one has found a way to monitor SLERS.

At home I can monitor a lot of locals, some of which are on SLERS, but are out of the range of a SLERS site, then they fall back on their old VHF system, and a lot of fire departments are staying on their old systems because they cannot tone out units over SLERS, the encryption hose's up the tones too much.

So yea in some areas scanners can be quite useful and for non-trunking systems a Motorola HT 1250 handheld or a Motorola CDM 1250 for mobile of as a base monitor and both have excellent receivers and audio.