Dav Harzin

Training in Plain Sight

Training in Plain Sight

Running around in camo facepaint, a bandana tied around your head and in full battle rattle can get you some strange looks, the cops called on you for “suspicious behavior” or pop up on someone’s radar for their Red Flag Laws.  There are outdoor activities that can keep your battlefield skills honed that will draw no attention to yourself and some are easily disguised as family outdoor activities. I competed in my first Rogaine race this year and really liked it.  A Rogaine race is a long distance Orienteering race and is also a timed event.  The race I competed in was a 10 hour race and I traveled over 14 miles locating orienteering checkpoints along the way.  The race activities began by issuing a topographical map an hour before the race by the race director.  You as a solo racer or as part of a team are to study the map, determine your route to the plotted checkpoints.  The only gear I used for navigating was a 1:24,000 topo map and thumb compass, no GPS was allowed. All participants were required to carry a list of gear for emergencies.  Prior to the race date, I had brushed up on my land navigation skills and was glad I did since these are perishable skills.  As I raced, I kept thinking this was very similar to the land navigation I did in the military. These events would be excellent training for interested in preparedness, as part of your bug out training and for your security team. 

I have listed a few races and other activities to be considered that you, your family and your team can use as a part of your training cycle.    ....

https://www.americanpartisan.org/2020/04/training-in-plain-sight/

I've done a few of these and was really disappointed with a radio orienteering race I participated in. It ended up to the point where everyone was pretty much gaggled up in a cluster following the signal,. If you decide to participate in one ask the even organizer if there are multiple start points, the more the better.

I just thought of another one.

To train for, where on a battle field, you dash, low crawl, jump, etc., from one cover to another, remaining visible for no more than 3 seconds or so, and stay behind any given cover no longer than needed (someone from the infantry can explain better), advancing toward the objective. You can practice that as a game of a kind of hide and seek with your dog. Dogs love games, and it'd be productive for both of you.