Hello, I am Commander Gray Horse of the Alabama Oathkeepers Militia. I have thought a lot about getting my Ham radio license over the years and have finally decided now is the time to do it, after seeing how this pandemic could have possibly broke down the phone and cell phone service and the internet! I am not a computer or communications expert at all and I need help! I just bought two of the Baofeng UV 5R III radios and the programming cord and cd to do it with my computer but wanted to get my license before I even programmed them to fight off the temptation to use them! LOL. I am very familiar with radio proto call but do not know how they work, etc. It is my desire to set up a base station and have all of my unit members to get a radio so we can stay in touch . Now, can somebody that has Ham Radio experience with base stations, antennas, boosters and all the goodies contact me and start me on the beginners track? I know I have got to get the technician license, general and then the xtra license and know I have to contact a license group to take the tests. I need to know a local group in Madison county, Alabama and where to get the best study materials for the tests, online and hardback from and the title of the publications and website! Please contact me at [email protected] Thank you.

Edited by OATHKEEPERS , Alabama unit
Mispelled word

I am not an expert, But I can tell you this, if you want a decent start at learning anything in todays world.... YOUTUBE !  I promise you the information you are looking for is already on youtube, just do a general search of, how to __________ ham radio, and something is going to pop up which will lead you down the rabbit hole 

10 hours ago, OATHKEEPERS , Alabama unit said:

Hello, I am Commander Gray Horse of the Alabama Oathkeepers Militia. I have thought a lot about getting my Ham radio license over the years and have finally decided now is the time to do it, after seeing how this pandemic could have possibly broke down the phone and cell phone service and the internet! I am not a computer or communications expert at all and I need help! I just bought two of the Baofeng UV 5R III radios and the programming cord and cd to do it with my computer but wanted to get my license before I even programmed them to fight off the temptation to use them! LOL. I am very familiar with radio proto call but do not know how they work, etc. It is my desire to set up a base station and have all of my unit members to get a radio so we can stay in touch . Now, can somebody that has Ham Radio experience with base stations, antennas, boosters and all the goodies contact me and start me on the beginners track? I know I have got to get the technician license, general and then the xtra license and know I have to contact a license group to take the tests. I need to know a local group in Madison county, Alabama and where to get the best study materials for the tests, online and hardback from and the title of the publications and website! Please contact me at [email protected] Thank you.

Start here to learn about studying for your Tech License: http://www.arrl.org/shop/Ham-Radio-License-Manual/     I'm all studied up and ready to take the test, but seeing as how our tyrannical governor is prolonging the quarantine,  I'm sure test sites will be cancelled and rescheduled at a much later date.  Good luck!

Use this time to study general class as well. Not that much harder and a lot of the same info. Extra is a little different story though.

Grey Horse- I sent you an email on this, check your spam folder!

Quick question, would it be fair to assume that the only reason to license ham radio enthusiasts is to generate more income, and not so much as wanting to educate people in the history behind the device ?

8 hours ago, GLCsector3295 said:

Quick question, would it be fair to assume that the only reason to license ham radio enthusiasts is to generate more income, and not so much as wanting to educate people in the history behind the device ?

the fee's for license barely pay for administrative cost. What "income" are you referring to ?

look what happened to the CB band when they deregulated the band, it turned into a   sh...show.

when something is 'free and easy' society will abuse and crash it, like public housing with broken windows .

Generate income for who? The FCC dos not charge for an amateur radio license.  The reasoning behind licensing Amateur Radio has a lot to do with the frequencies one has access to, many times very close to military and commercial frequencies. The license is proof that the operator has demonstrated knowledge and proficiency in understanding the rules and operation of their equipment as pertains to their license class. CB radio is a good example of what an unlicensed band can become: Operators on those frequencies often use modified radios or amplifiers to boost their signal to hundreds of watts, but only 4 watts by is allowed by law. There is also little enforcement and the language often encountered on CB is horrendous, definitely not for kids.

1 hour ago, Dav Harzin said:

the fee's for license barely pay for administrative cost. What "income" are you referring to ?

look what happened to the CB band when they deregulated the band, it turned into a   sh...show.

when something is 'free and easy' society will abuse and crash it, like public housing with broken windows .

It turned into a sh..show?! CB and Freeband are lit, constantly active. Ham seems dead, especially the formerly popular 2m and 70cm bands. Every now and again you'll hear the repeaters light up with talk about geriatric care or someone talking about their new J-pole. Forget about using encrypted comms or anything else that obscures message meaning - that's not permitted on ham bands. And hams are the biggest d...heads around, and will "self police the bands" on your butt for doing things like this.

I say not only skip ham, but avoid hams at all costs to stay outta trouble - just work CB, freeband, echo charlie, MURS, and/or FRS/GMRS. It's cheap, easy, no license requirements, and effective. 

PS: 11m propagation has been crazy the last few weeks - made many contacts over thousands of miles the last few weeks on less than 100W on 11m and freeband.

73's from 333 North Carolina!

40 minutes ago, David Fox said:

And hams are the biggest d...heads around, and will "self police the bands" on your butt for doing things like this.

40 minutes ago, David Fox said:

I say not only skip ham, but avoid hams at all costs to stay outta trouble - just work CB, freeband, echo charlie, MURS, and/or FRS/GMRS. It's cheap, easy, no license requirements, and effective.

Better that folks like you stay away from the Ham bands anyway. Most people not intelligent enough to pass the tests seem to have this attitude, so I get where you're coming from.

As far as staying "outta trouble", I won't do the Google work for you but there are many more instances of CB'ers being fined than hams, and quite a few GMRS violations as well. I see you list FRS/GMRS in your tirade, so apparently you aren't aware that GMRS also requires an FCC license  and costs $70.

1 hour ago, Tempstar said:

Better that folks like you stay away from the Ham bands anyway. Most people not intelligent enough to pass the tests seem to have this attitude, so I get where you're coming from.

As far as staying "outta trouble", I won't do the Google work for you but there are many more instances of CB'ers being fined than hams, and quite a few GMRS violations as well. I see you list FRS/GMRS in your tirade, so apparently you aren't aware that GMRS also requires an FCC license  and costs $70.

Yeah, Google it - you'll find like 5 cases in the past 20 years of a CBer being fined. Just don't cause TVI, do dumb stuff like rebroadcast radio, stay away from hams, and you'll be fine. Hams are always bashing 11m folks until skip rolls in, then they join in with their CAPS/MARS-modded HF rigs running illegal like everyone else. 

PS: Great resources for patriots trying to setup comms https://amrron.com/

As I said in my first sentence. If only being able to communicate over radio for 5 miles or so (unless the magical skip comes into play) is your thing and you so vehemently are set to defend it, go ahead. Skip is determined by the sunspot cycle and atmospheric conditions such as E-layer and ducting. When "skip" is active for 11 meters, it is for a good part of the amateur bands as well. I have never known a ham to switch to AM mode 11 meters when FM SSB is available, with tens of thousands of frequencies to choose from. I actually talk all over the world and never have to wait for "skip", because there are so many bands allocated to Amateur Radio and there is usually always one of them open.

As far as "running illegal", I can output 1500 watts PEP on any of the HF bands I am licensed for legally. I don't really know but 1 ham who has a MARS modded radio, but he is an Army MARS operator since the 70's.

Sorry you've obviously been troubled by a ham. We are generally a community that tries to help others by experienced based advice, training, and community service. I have worked on many CB's for friends, tuned CB antennas, and installed CB radios for people. I don't have a hatred for CB radio, I just choose more efficient ways of communicating electronically. I also choose to stay away from CB because of folks like you who are ill informed yet broadcast their ignorance to the world, and seem proud of it.

14 hours ago, Megatron said:

Ham people are typically dorks who freak out over people not getting a sticker to get permission to use the airwaves. 

So, businesses, police, fire, TV and movie production, taxi's, hospitals are all populated by dorks as well? They all have a "sticker" to operate on their segment of the airwaves. They also will freak out if you trespass on their frequency.

As for ham, at least the "sticker" keeps out  the riff-raff.

Edited by Tempstar

2 hours ago, Tempstar said:

So, businesses, police, fire, TV and movie production, taxi's, hospitals are all populated by dorks as well? They all have a "sticker" to operate on their segment of the airwaves. They also will freak out if you trespass on their frequency.

As for ham, at least the "sticker" keeps out  the riff-raff.

This is exactly the type who makes ham radios not worth it.

Get the equipment and don't bother with general or tech .  Learn to use it and have fun.  The FCC has no funding to hunt people down 

On 4/19/2020 at 11:35 PM, OATHKEEPERS , Alabama unit said:

You are on the right track. There's a lot to respond here. My wife and I are General class hams. My call sign is K9ILL and my wife is KD9ILL. Google us.  There are FREE websites where you can take practice tests.  www.hamexam.org is one of the better ones. You won't have the same tests all the time, they will be random. Keep track of your scores and when you get your average up to 85%... GO TAKE YOUR TEST.    Your Baofeng radios will work up to 4 or 5 miles but if there are repeaters near you, you'll be able to talk county wide. I looked online and there are a lot of repeaters in Madison county. Another "MUST HAVE" website is:    WWW.Repeaterbook.com.   My email is [email protected]  Email me and I'll give you my phone number.     OBTW:  If you bought your radios for a SHTF situation, you won't need a license to transmit if it's an EMERGENCY situation.  I would say a SHTF would certainly be an emergency. Email me.  Thanks and good luck.

27 minutes ago, Megatron said:

This is exactly the type who makes ham radios not worth it.

Get the equipment and don't bother with general or tech .  Learn to use it and have fun.  The FCC has no funding to hunt people down 

I agree. I'm a general class ham and have never heard of a "sticker"  You are correct. The FCC stopped enforcing CB and ham radio traffic years ago.  Ham radio has it's own snitches. They are call Auxiliary Observers, by the FCC.   They are so called "hams" who report you for not giving you call sign every ten minutes or not having a license. If anyone transmits without a ham license, NEVER let anyone know who you are. Even your best friends will turn you in.   

17 hours ago, Megatron said:

Ham people are typically dorks who freak out over people not getting a sticker to get permission to use the airwaves. 

What is a "sticker"?  Do you mean a ham "TICKET"?

18 minutes ago, Mrbooker said:

I agree. I'm a general class ham and have never heard of a "sticker"  You are correct. The FCC stopped enforcing CB and ham radio traffic years ago.  Ham radio has it's own snitches. They are call Auxiliary Observers, by the FCC.   They are so called "hams" who report you for not giving you call sign every ten minutes or not having a license. If anyone transmits without a ham license, NEVER let anyone know who you are. Even your best friends will turn you in.   

Exactly but go ahead find a low use frequency and dont clogged it up and nobody will care.

The ticket was just a joke about the tech and general licences. 

I never seen such a group of people who get upset over the rules like ham people.   They wonder why its dead.

wow this got lit fast,

i only said generate income, because I assumed that the licensing  was some kind of fee that went to the FCC, basically another form of a Tax. I don't have any issue with licensing , and learning how to properly use something in general.

but for me, in todays world, i would be surprised if a regular class on how to use a ham radio properly, is no different than what one can find searching online via youtube or other places online, making a normal avenue for being licensed obsolete .

To me, it would seem like clicking a button that said, did you watch this video on youtube that shows the history of the ham radio and how to properly use it, and dont be a jerk, to be just as effective as the process to get a license.

That is just me though ! I like to figure things out on my own, goes with my video games, and what ever, the instructions are always looking right at me, and i say no thanks , and i either figure it out , or i break something or get frustrated before reading instructions.

On 4/24/2020 at 8:23 AM, Megatron said:

Exactly but go ahead find a low use frequency and dont clogged it up and nobody will care.

The ticket was just a joke about the tech and general licences. 

I never seen such a group of people who get upset over the rules like ham people.   They wonder why its dead.

It ain't dead. MOF the prepper and militia movements have done a pretty good job of reviving it among younger people for the last decade or two. The reason they get twisted panties about the rule is because most of them remember the day when CB required a lisence, the bands weren't a cesspool back then.  It's actually a pretty good example of how the population can control itself instead of relying on the .gov to do it.

20 minutes ago, Skillet said:

It ain't dead. MOF the prepper and militia movements have done a pretty good job of reviving it among younger people for the last decade or two. The reason they get twisted panties about the rule is because most of them remember the day when CB required a lisence, the bands weren't a cesspool back then.  It's actually a pretty good example of how the population can control itself instead of relying on the .gov to do it.

Eh....I listened in Enough and the topics never go far.    The bofang craz sure I suppose buying up a ton of 5 watt handhelds are good for a mile or so.  That doesn't interfere with people. 

On 4/22/2020 at 11:39 PM, GLCsector3295 said:

Not to my way of thinking. The Licensing entityis the Federal Communications . It is financed by the Gvmt so the moneys for license are few. I guess it would make a good Christmas Dinner or something......