Jump to content
David Little

What are your strengths and weaknesses?

Recommended Posts

I would suggest that in addition to planning ideas, we post our strengths and weaknesses.  That is to say what we can and are unable to do.  I don’t mean that someone on the team who is broken and distorted cannot be a valued member.  Also many come to the team lacking combat, survival, prepping or field craft skills.  They too are a valued asset.  Some come with little skill but make up for it in heart and willingness to serve and survive.  

For me I’m a 100% Disabled U.S. Army Retiree.  So, can I hump a 100 pound ruck like back in the day?  Well, probably not but I can still shoot, move and communicate.  I’m not as strong as that young soldier I used to be decades ago but I’m a hell-of-a more savvy and smart.

 

So, I think this is a great forum to get started.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m in my upper 40s so I don’t move as quickly as a 20 something anymore. I’ve spent a good part of my life outdoors hunting, fishing and primitive camping. My medical training is primarily emergency/trauma care. I’ve had 20+ years of firearm training to include rifle/carbine and handgun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, David Little said:

I would suggest that in addition to planning ideas, we post our strengths and weaknesses.  That is to say what we can and are unable to do.  I don’t mean that someone on the team who is broken and distorted cannot be a valued member.  Also many come to the team lacking combat, survival, prepping or field craft skills.  They too are a valued asset.  Some come with little skill but make up for it in heart and willingness to serve and survive.  

For me I’m a 100% Disabled U.S. Army Retiree.  So, can I hump a 100 pound ruck like back in the day?  Well, probably not but I can still shoot, move and communicate.  I’m not as strong as that young soldier I used to be decades ago but I’m a hell-of-a more savvy and smart.

 

So, I think this is a great forum to get started.

 

How you get the 100 percent? 

 

I agree we should do the best within our ability.  For myself the 30s out do the 20s.


“If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn’t thinking.” – General George S. Patton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm 35, 80% disabled Army Vet, 1 yr in Afghanistan, 2yrs training recruits @ FT. Knox, I was a platoon armorer (have my own tools and can work on anything from .50 cal down to a beretta), I'm also a certified firefighter and EMT. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

50 year old Navy vet here (still dealing with VA for some disability for the lack of cartilage in my knees). I was a Quartermaster in the Navy (for you Army guys that's not supply but ship navigation). Definitely not as fast as I was 30 years ago. No training in small unit tactics/field craft, but have been shooting most of my life. I work in the engineering/architectural field (degree in Architectural Technology), and a masters degree in Military History. So my strengths are more towards the operational and planning side, but definitely willing (and looking) to learn field craft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Author of the topic Posted
12 hours ago, Megatron said:

How you get the 100 percent? 

 

I agree we should do the best within our ability.  For myself the 30s out do the 20s.

In September 2008, I was assigned to the Headquarters 82nd Airborne Division as the Director of Battlefield Assessments. We were preparing to takeover command of Regional Command East.  OPTEMPO was pegged to the max and we were jumping every month.  In March 2009 I jumped on Sicily DZ in 23 knot winds.  Thirty soldiers including myself jumped in that first pass.  All thirty were injured, with sixteen seriously injured.  I landed on the hard compacted dirt of the Sicily DZ FLS.  I sustained a Severe Traumatic Brain Injury .  I did not deploy with the 82nd.  I was transferred to the XVIII Airborne Corps on the other side of Ft Bragg.  I made a decent recovery in a year and made it back on jump status before deploying to Iraq in December 2010.  While I was assigned to Camp Victory BIAP Palace, I made a trip to FOB Union III in March 2011.  During my stay, an IRAM land forty feet from me and knocked me down and out.  Yep, another S-TBI.  The concussion subsided and I remained in Iraq.  Two months later I was involved in RPG initiated Vehicular Far Ambush on Route Irish going from BIAP to the Baghdad Green Zone.  Again, another TBI.  On my return from Iraq in December 2011, I spent another year in neurological therapy. On 31 January 2013, I was retired with the Obama RIF after 24 years in the Army.  Before retirement, I consulted with the DAV.  I signed over my medical records along with a power of attorney and let them work their magic with the VA.  Ten months later, I was granted 100% Permanent and Total designation.  Well, after all that all that I’m ok.  I’m mind is still writing checks my body can’t cash and I’ll then feel it the next day.  I still miss being on jump status, so I live vicariously through my son who is assigned to A Co 1-505 IN, 3BCT, 82nd Abn Division.

 

”Well, that’s all I’m gonna say about that”

 

Stay Frosty My Friend

 

Airborne All the Way!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Author of the topic Posted
11 hours ago, Scout2011 said:

I'm 35, 80% disabled Army Vet, 1 yr in Afghanistan, 2yrs training recruits @ FT. Knox, I was a platoon armorer (have my own tools and can work on anything from .50 cal down to a beretta), I'm also a certified firefighter and EMT. 

80% disabled....  Keep on working the 100% request.  Try using the DAV or the VFW.

 

Being an armorer is a great skill set.  Is that an Ordnance  MOS?  I could learn a lot from you.

 

 I was an EMT/Fireman1 20 years ago as well.  It takes a lot to maintain your skills and certifications.  Good on you brother!

 

AATW!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Author of the topic Posted
4 hours ago, USN1970 said:

50 year old Navy vet here (still dealing with VA for some disability for the lack of cartilage in my knees). I was a Quartermaster in the Navy (for you Army guys that's not supply but ship navigation). Definitely not as fast as I was 30 years ago. No training in small unit tactics/field craft, but have been shooting most of my life. I work in the engineering/architectural field (degree in Architectural Technology), and a masters degree in Military History. So my strengths are more towards the operational and planning side, but definitely willing (and looking) to learn field craft.

Understanding Leadership and Planning is half the battle.  I believe everyone on the team should get a chance to lead.  You never know when you need to step up and lead.  My military leadership experience taught me that to be a good leader, you need to be a good follower, humble and respectful of the team.  As a leader I often found myself knowing one inch deep over a football field, where someone like a Chief Warrant Officer would know a thousand feet deep.

 

You have a great Architectural Engineering skill set.  A Masters Degree studies in Military History is a great skill to understand our past failures so that we don’t repeat it.  It is my guess that you’ve learned to open your mind to numerous planning needs.  

 

Patrolling tactics, techniques and procedures (TTPs) can be taught to anyone who keeps an open mind and a willingness to learn.  

 

Know your strengths and limitations.

 

Keep a Weather Eye Sailor

 

AATW! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, David Little said:

80% disabled....  Keep on working the 100% request.  Try using the DAV or the VFW.

 

Being an armorer is a great skill set.  Is that an Ordnance  MOS?  I could learn a lot from you.

 

 I was an EMT/Fireman1 20 years ago as well.  It takes a lot to maintain your skills and certifications.  Good on you brother!

 

AATW!

I actually dont wanna get 100% I work as an Over the road trucker and make more than if I was 100%. I was a 19D with SAM31 qualification have both military and civilian certificate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Author of the topic Posted
14 minutes ago, Scout2011 said:

I actually dont wanna get 100% I work as an Over the road trucker and make more than if I was 100%. I was a 19D with SAM31 qualification have both military and civilian certificate. 

Got it.  19D Cavalry Scout.  “Death before dismount” & “If you ain’t CAV you ain’t S#%T!”.  

 

Keep on truckin’ and stay safe brother!

 

AATW!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strengths: US Army vet with an expert rating on all weapons touched. Basic ground combat, NBC NCO experience, basic survival training. Massive heart, patriotism, motivation & drive.

 

Weaknesses: Out of shape (haven't exercised or hit a gym in many years), slightly overweight (cardio is a huge issue), money is tight so no uniforms or weapons and may need to borrow gas money on meet ups. I'd say these are major barriers.


General Brad W Harris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strengths:  Relatively book-smart when it comes to history, guerrilla warfare and the militia. Moderately physically fit. I would say i am extremely motivated and passionate about the militia and gun rights. Likely would be classified as radical on the loyalty scale. Low income but low bills too so i am making progress in building my kit and supplies. Also a good people person all in all. 

 

Weakness: Young and inexperienced, not as fit as i should be. Not many connections or even life experience due to young age. I likely have many misconceptions about war and survival, as well as very little field experience, havent even been camping. Probably would be considered by peers as too gung-ho. Im sure ill think of more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Fed up
3 hours ago, young patriot said:

Strengths:  Relatively book-smart when it comes to history, guerrilla warfare and the militia. Moderately physically fit. I would say i am extremely motivated and passionate about the militia and gun rights. Likely would be classified as radical on the loyalty scale. Low income but low bills too so i am making progress in building my kit and supplies. Also a good people person all in all. 

 

Weakness: Young and inexperienced, not as fit as i should be. Not many connections or even life experience due to young age. I likely have many misconceptions about war and survival, as well as very little field experience, havent even been camping. Probably would be considered by peers as too gung-ho. Im sure ill think of more. 

The first step to learning is knowing and excepting your short comings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm 61 years old, and a software engineer. I have extensive civilian tactical training, a great family in both Dunn and Raleigh. Yup, I'm older and don't move as I did when 20. But, I'm intelligent; very talented in software engineering; tenacious; and committed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...