Jump to content
AvidC

Let's talk gear!

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone. My last conversation about Communication Equipment had some great discussion and information, even found people within our area that have broad experience (hint, hint). 

 

Now let's talk another important area... Hearing Protection! What kind of hearing protection do you all use when target shooting? Does it interfere with your rifle stock? Is it easy to put on, take off? Can you hear your radio (coms) while you have it on? Anyone have experience with combat style hearing protection? 

 

I'm looking forward to some answers here as I use the typical over the ear style muff, but I've had to raise my optic on my rifle to accommodate the muff hitting the adjustable stock (standard buffer tube with Minimalist butt plate). If I had to use a different rifle in a pinch my hearing protection would be nullified. 

 

What do ya all think? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Author of the topic Posted
11 hours ago, Dav Harzin said:

yep , I have the same prob with muffs with a AR stock...so the cheap ear plugs for now.

I use the orange ones that you can pick up at a big box store, they work pretty good and are comfortable. Have you ever tried the insert plugs that allow you to hear then noise cancel? Posted a pic of ones I've been thinking of trying out. 

Screenshot_20200516-090621_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AvidC said:

I use the orange ones that you can pick up at a big box store, they work pretty good and are comfortable. Have you ever tried the insert plugs that allow you to hear then noise cancel? Posted a pic of ones I've been thinking of trying out. 

Screenshot_20200516-090621_Amazon Shopping.jpg

 

I've used a lot of different hearpro including Peltors but I always go back to these. FYI they are comms tube compatible and the impluse noise reduction works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Author of the topic Posted
11 minutes ago, Skillet said:

 

I've used a lot of different hearpro including Peltors but I always go back to these. FYI they are comms tube compatible and the impluse noise reduction works.

Great info! Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AvidC said:

Great info! Thanks! 

 

If you decide to go with them do your research and make sure you get the right size the fist time. Also some people can't stand in ear protection, If you've worn the .mil triple flange type these are kind of like that but have a little bit of a curve to the flange which makes them a bit more comfortable. If you use a comms tube and trim it down make sure you leave enough slack for full head movement or it'll pull on the plug and irritate the crap out of your ear. After the first day of wearing them the ring chaffed the inside of my earlobe a bit. Blistex in the tube fixed that right up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Author of the topic Posted
13 minutes ago, Skillet said:

 

If you decide to go with them do your research and make sure you get the right size the fist time. Also some people can't stand in ear protection, If you've worn the .mil triple flange type these are kind of like that but have a little bit of a curve to the flange which makes them a bit more comfortable. If you use a comms tube and trim it down make sure you leave enough slack for full head movement or it'll pull on the plug and irritate the crap out of your ear. After the first day of wearing them the ring chaffed the inside of my earlobe a bit. Blistex in the tube fixed that right up.

 

Fantastic!! Thank you!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...