LetFreedomRing

Pistol Input Needed

A lot of manufacturers don't list the type of steel or finish on their slides.  I'm looking for some specific characteristics in an automatic pistol and seeking suggestions.  

Must meet all criteria below:

9 mm

Stainless steel slide with a very durable finish / coating.

Alloy or polymer frame.

Barrel length between 3.25 to 3.75 inches.

Capacity between 12 to 15 rounds in the magazine

Prefer quality night sights or at least replaceable sites for adding them.

No manual safety

DA/SA with decocker or striker fired with safe action trigger.

So far I am liking SIG P229 and M11-A1 variants but the barrels are slightly longer 3.9 inches and they are slightly heavier over all than I would prefer.

Author of the topic Posted
11 minutes ago, Skillet said:

What's your price range?

Well I am considering SIG P229 / M11-A1 but they are slightly longer barrels and heavier than I would really like so under $1000.  

The 229 and M11-A1 are going to be the closest to your criteria. I carry a 229 pretty regularly and you won’t notice any difference.

There’s also the Cz999s and EZ9s as well.

Why stainless steel? Blued and nitrided finishes work fine.

10 hours ago, Mountain Bear said:

The 229 and M11-A1 are going to be the closest to your criteria. I carry a 229 pretty regularly and you won’t notice any difference.

There’s also the Cz999s and EZ9s as well.

Why stainless steel? Blued and nitrided finishes work fine.

R.U.S.T.  Yah I know there are plenty of good coatings to stop it but on an EDC pistol you eventually get holster wear and once the coating starts to wear off, if it is anything other than stainless steel underneath it becomes a rust magnet.  Also pistols with stainless steel slides tend to have stainless steel parts in their trigger groups which can be another rust magnet spot on an EDC gun, especially when carrying inside the waistband.  I don't want to spend 20 minutes every day having to wipe down my EDC.  Years ago I carried the M&P 9C which had a stainless steel slide and trigger group.  It was great in almost every way, I never had any problem with rust on it but I just didn't like that hinged trigger of theirs.  I like the looks and specs on the newer CZ P-10 S but after checking with the company found that although they nitride coat the slide on that model isn't stainless steel.  I'll probably end up going with a SIG M11-A1 even though it is slightly longer and heavier than I would like, but thought I'd throw it out here to see if anyone else knows of any other pistols that hit all the things I am looking for.   

18 hours ago, LetFreedomRing said:

R.U.S.T.  Yah I know there are plenty of good coatings to stop it but on an EDC pistol you eventually get holster wear and once the coating starts to wear off, if it is anything other than stainless steel underneath it becomes a rust magnet.  Also pistols with stainless steel slides tend to have stainless steel parts in their trigger groups which can be another rust magnet spot on an EDC gun, especially when carrying inside the waistband.  I don't want to spend 20 minutes every day having to wipe down my EDC.  Years ago I carried the M&P 9C which had a stainless steel slide and trigger group.  It was great in almost every way, I never had any problem with rust on it but I just didn't like that hinged trigger of theirs.  I like the looks and specs on the newer CZ P-10 S but after checking with the company found that although they nitride coat the slide on that model isn't stainless steel.  I'll probably end up going with a SIG M11-A1 even though it is slightly longer and heavier than I would like, but thought I'd throw it out here to see if anyone else knows of any other pistols that hit all the things I am looking for.   

I’ve never had a problem with rust on my carry guns and they’re all black nitrided finish. I’ve carried them hiking from climates like Georgia during the summer to Michigan in the winter IWB with 3-6 month intervals between the last preventative maintenance session, depending on the last shooting session. What matters is the type of preservative you use not how often it’s applied. 

Use CLP or synthetic motor oil and it’ll be fine.

I'm considering the CZ P-01 with the alloy frame as a possibility for my new EDC.  I contacted Cajun Gunworks to see what options are available on their customized CZ P-01 pistols.  The barrel is 0.05 inches longer than the 3.75 I originally specified above, but close enough and the slides on these are made out of stainless steel.  If I don't go with the Cajun Gun Works CZ P-01,  I'm thinking the SIG M11-A1 with some aftermarket Trijicon HD sights will be most likely.

CZ P01 Cajunized