Rascaldees

How to Fight: Part V: The Gear

Alright ladies and gentlemen and those subscribing to neither nor it's time to discuss the question of equipment. I believe whole heartedly that militias should standardize. Right now, most militia I know of will have twenty different guns and calibers for twenty different fighters, soldiers, etc. This is a very, VERY bad idea as it means... well, many things. 

Firstly, a militia that has many varying calibers cannot share ammunition. That means that supplies are, in turn, harder to find since militia must search for many different calibers. On the positive side this means that it's unlikely a militia won't find ANY ammunition however it does mean any ammunition they find will only be useful for a relatively small percentage of their forces. It also means that magazines are harder to find since most guns have magazines meant for them (such as the AR-15 requiring the use of STANAG magazines). 

Secondarily a militia that uses many different firearms will not know the capabilities of one weapon to another. While it is true that all firearms throw a projectile at rapid speeds to do their damage it is likewise true that many firearms handle drastically different in regards to recoil, magazine count, rate of fire, effective range as well as of course the rarity of their ammunition. While a 30-06 will easily penetrate body armor it's also a fairly expensive and relatively rare caliber of bullet when compared to other more common calibers. Likewise it kicks much harder than a five-five-six NATO round and thusly shooters used to firing relatively rapid bursts of gunfire may find themselves at a disadvantage. 

Tertiarily militia that use different calibers and styles of firearms must in turn train members on these firearms. This can lead to a variety of training methods in a single militia which in turn complicates the training requirements and makes training larger groups of people much more difficult. For example the effective range of an AR-10 is near eight hundred meters at maximum effective range. The AR-15 however has a maximum effective range six hundred meters. The point here is this: do you train AR-10 users to shoot up to their maximum effective range and keep the AR-15 users trained to a lesser extent? Do you invest the time and effort and money into training an AR-10 user to shoot to that distance or limit their training to 600 meters? Note: I shoot out to 600 meters with a pretty nice optic and it's not easy; I use an AR-15. It's not impossible but it is not practical. The ranges mentioned here are purposefully inflated for demonstration purposes. 

In addition maintenance is an issue when different firearms are concerned. An AK-47 cannot take the same parts as an AR-15 and likewise an AR-10 cannot take the same parts as either of those rifles; the reverse is true in all three scenarios. While right now this is not an issue, during a conflict weapon maintenance can make or break a unit. In addition to putting more strain on already strained resources, this can cause undue stress on logistical supply lines which must now use many different routes in order to obtain these parts as well as the strain necessary to acquire those parts peacefully; much less through force. 

My recommended firearms are... in addition to the caliber and reason... 

Primrary Weapon: 

AR-15

The AR-15 is not an M4 however it does use a STANAG magazine which is used by many, many countries around the world including the United States. This means ammunition and magazines (assuming that the rifle is chambered in 5.56 NATO). I don't mind .308 calibers, 30-06 calibers and the like but due to practicality and logistical reasons I would use the AR-15. It's also easy to train on, fundamentally easy to shoot (to a degree) and can sustain a relatively heavy rate of fire for a semi-automatic weapon when accounting for heating and cooling properties of the weapon. The recoil is low which makes it perfect for new shooters who may be gun-shy and additionally can be bought relatively cheap which means that a larger number of them can be purchased BEFORE violence is necessary. 

Breaching Weapon: (not everyone in a the fighting portions of a militia should have these as they are almost mission specific)

Mossberg 500, Remington 870 or M4S90 Benelli for a shotgun

Any of these shotguns chambered in twelve gauge makes entering a room that much easier WHEN THE USER IS PART OF A FIRETEAM! Without a firearm; keep to the primary weapon. Blasting the hinges off of doors makes entry noisy but also extremely rapid. Shotguns, however, do not go through armor even with slugs loaded. Semiautomatic shotguns would be preferred to pump action shotguns or lever action shotguns however I prefer a pump action shotgun simply for the sake that they are cheap, readily available, easy to maintain and parts can be manufactured in a garage with the right know-how. 

Marksman Rifles: (not everyone in a the fighting portions of a militia should have these as they are almost mission specific)

M14 or AR-10

The .308 Winchester is a powerful and badass round that can go through most conventional level three body armors and will do significant damage to a level four body armor. Its ability to penetrate helmets and body armor as well as to punch out to extreme ranges makes it a spectacular rifle for long distance engagements and overwatch. It does have the drawback that .308 is relatively rare and expensive although the pros make up for the cons when it comes to using it as a specialized weapon rather than a primary rifle. Just as the AR-15 chambered in 5.56 can utilize .223 (making ammunition even less rare) these weapons can use both .308 and 7.62 NATO which can alleviate supply needs. 

Pistols: (I do not carry a handgun in my FIGHTING kit. I do conceal carry however)

M&P 9mm is a fairly cheap and reliable weapon with seventeen rounds in the typical chamber. Its sister model, the M&P 9mm Shield, is easily concealed even in a pocket and can be used quietly when combined with a suppressor and subsonic ammunition. All pistols are backup weapons and should never be considered a primary weapon for fighting other than self-defense situations. Their maneuverability does not make up for their lack of firepower, the lack of ammunition in a magazine when compared to a rifle as well as the weight of the weapon when used up close as a melee weapon. In the event of a jammed weapon or a lack of ammunition it can, however, still serve at least the niche role of providing cover fire when other calibers are unavailable. Most modern militaries use nine millimeter as their handgun calibers although most modern militaries are also phasing away from handgun usage aside from machine gunners due to their ineffectiveness on the battlefield and of course the cost to equip an entire army with them. 

Melee Weapons: 

2.5 pound mini-sledge hammer

This is a great tool for general purpose uses and of course doubles as a weapon to use up close and personal if for whatever a reason a firearm cannot be used instead. I do not carry a knife in my fighting kit for fighting; I carry one for the utility it provides because a knife is a useful tool. However stab-vests and body armor are more and more common which makes the knife obsolete. I do carry a bayonet which is more useful than the mini-sledge but that assumes I have time to mount the bayonet and of course that my bayonet is not compromised before hand. Maintenance on a hammer is exceptionally easy and finding a replacement hammer will never draw attention from hostile authorities. As stated before the bayonet (when mounted on a rifle) is a far more effective weapon than the mini-sledge but I prefer the mini-sledge because if the helmet of an opponent is struck the hammer may still break their neck, rattle the brain inside the skull or even potentially break bones. Granted; being in melee against an armored opponent is not an ideal situation but I also dislike the amount of edge alignment required for knife-fighting as well as the amount of skill necessary when compared to using a hammer which can be swung at almost any angle and still do significant damage. 

Thrown Weapons: 

Molotov Cocktails and grenades

If you can't figure out which grenades are more effective than others you need Jesus. But in all seriousness, anything works here although a Molotov Cocktail is exceptionally easy to make and body armor does not stop fire. They are easy to make and can be deadly in the right hands. However a Molotov Cocktail has a few problems; there is no stopping the collateral damage it can cause once the fire is on and is it an exceptionally messy weapon. Stealing grenades from fallen enemies is one tactic that everyone should employ as often as possible in order to increase their effectiveness but there is the problem with grenades because they are often stopped by even softer body armors to reduce shrapnel which is what makes grenades effective. Obviously things like smoke grenades have their uses and make marking easier for allied forces but these are niche and we're not in the business of discussing extra equipment that isn't a weapon on a topic dedicated to what weapons should be used. 

That concludes this segment. I hope you all learned something. Questions or comments to the... well, comment section. See you all in part six where we will discuss how to migrate a militia from one location to another.