Wisconsin Resident here, looking to organize a state-wide militia with the intention of not only activism but also the readied deployment and mobilization to vulnerable areas of the state in times of crisis (for everything from natural disasters to the violence we are seeing now). 

Im looking for ideas, resources and overall advice in completing this task. Any information is greatly appreciated and welcomed. 

WELCOME!  Check the state militia forums link on the landing page for your state, area code militia link  or tab and click on the Map tab to find people near you to connect with. 

https://www.mymilitia.com/forums/forum/8-networks/

https://www.mymilitia.com/area-code-militias/

https://www.mymilitia.com/membermap/

"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.” ― Mark Twain

"I prefer dangerous FREEDOM over peaceful SLAVERY" -Thomas Jefferson

"Si vis pacem para bellum" - Every wise warrior there ever was.

lfr.jpg.91d35fb0dbad2fa6e5cc5b2544ce55d5.jpg

lfr.jpg

10 hours ago, JJones92 said:

Wisconsin Resident here, looking to organize a state-wide militia with the intention of not only activism but also the readied deployment and mobilization to vulnerable areas of the state in times of crisis (for everything from natural disasters to the violence we are seeing now). 

Im looking for ideas, resources and overall advice in completing this task. Any information is greatly appreciated and welcomed. 

Here's something I wrote in response to a similar request:

Starting out, when there is no miliita unit in your area.

What to do?  Two possibilities, which are not entirely mutually exclusive.

(1) Depending on your personality and circumstances, start a group yourself, assuming conditions are right for it.

(2) Take part in the national militia movement,  while preparing the ground for a local group at some point in the future, if it doesn't look feasible to start a group now.

I've been in a situation like yours ... a long time ago, and with rather different political aims ... but I faced the problem of starting a group from scratch, and in circumstances where most seed would be sown on stoney ground.  Nonetheless, I managed to build a group of 15 people.

I'm writing a paper on this, which I will try to circulate among  the militia movement for comment and criticism and suggestions.

Here's a brief outline of it:

0. A note on security.  First names only; ProtonMail account as your contact details.

1. Getting started: reconnaissance of the local political terrain: where are people who are likely to be sympathetic?

----- 1.1 Political Party Local Organizations: Republican clubs, Libertarian, Constitution Party;

----- 1.2 Veterans groups: American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, Vietnam Veterans of America;

----- 1.3 Gun Owners: shooting ranges, gun shops, gun clubs.

----- 1.4 Other: Eagle Forum, announcements on conservative/libertarian/gun owners websites.

----- 1.5 Looking for likeminded people via national militia groups and websites: MyMilitia.com, ModernMilitiaMovement.com, Oathkeepers, III%ers, etc.

Each of these has to be approached in a different way.  Commercial groups, like a gunshop or shooting range, will require a personal approach:

conversation with the owner or manager, telling him what you are aiming to do -- and, in a low-key way, how it might benefit his business. He may know people who would be sympathetic. In future, you may want him to take low-key notices of your events ... say, keeping a stack of small leaflets announceing a meeting on his counter, or even putting a poster in his window, or keeping a stack of 'business cards' with your contact details.

Don't ask such a favor the first time. Most businesses want to avoid controversy, which will normally lose them more customers than it will gain.

[How to approach veterans' organizations; how to approach local political groups; notices on websites...]

2. Establishing a presence in local media via comments and letters to the editor.  Talk radio. Public meetings.

------ How to write a good comment; how to write a good letter to the editor; phoning in to talk radio; speaking from the audience at a pubic meeting.

3. Your first public event.

------3.1 When to have it. Ideally, after you already have a functioning group, even if it's a small one you have built through one-to-one, low key work.

----- 3.2  Publicizing your efforts. This means generating publicity aimed at being seen by people you have never met:

---------------- Press releases, how to write a professional one;
--------------- Posters, designing effective ones; lamination; thumb tacks; staple hammer; Scotch tape; dated, vs indefinite; Where to put them up.
--------------  Tabling
--------------  Door to door

-------------- Leafletting

----- 3.3 What kind of public event?

---------- A 'meeting': Outside speaker; local speaker; community discussion; debate; film (video);
---------- A class: firearms safety, The Constitution Explained [class series]; first-aid training; other: training exercises
---------- A celebration: Fourth of July, Memorial Day, Veterans Day, other.  Co-sponsorship?

----- 3.4 Mechanics of events
---------- Acquiring premises: desirable features: centrality, parking, amenities.
---------- Working the meeting': Security; meet and greet; get names and contact details; clean up; follow up.
------------------Dealing with Disruptors.  (Importance of intelligence on the opposition.)
---------  Post-meeting publicity: photos, short report, for local media.

MORE TO COME:

Activities;

member retention;

the psychology of participation;

vetting new applicants;

liason with LEO;

dealing with unsuitable personalities;

diversity;

horizontal specialization;

vertical division according to committment;

the importance of a mailing list;

cultivating local journalists;

responding to events;

dealing with money issues;

getting members on to specialized training courses: first aid, communications, marksmanship;

security;

political education;

co-sponsoring patriotic holidays -- 'soft' publicity;

You can get a lot further in life with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Author of the topic Posted
23 hours ago, Doug1943 said:

I've been in a situation like yours ... a long time ago, and with rather different political aims ... but I faced the problem of starting a group from scratch, and in circumstances where most seed would be sown on stoney ground.  Nonetheless, I managed to build a group of 15 people.

I'm writing a paper on this, which I will try to circulate among  the militia movement for comment and criticism and suggestions.

Thank you for your wisdom and experience. I have started the process of building my own group. I am sure that as things progress much of what you have given me will be of much use. I appreciate it greatly!