Sign in to follow this  
Dav Harzin

Badlands Fieldcraft: Opinion: Self sufficient survival examples from history as a template for modern day survivability

Badlands Fieldcraft: Opinion: Self sufficient survival examples from history as a template for modern day survivability

This originally appeared over at Badlands Fieldcraft. Got training for the next phase in all this? -NCS

Last year, NCScout penned an excellent article over at his blog about using the frontiersmen of the past as a model for the modern day survivalist. I thought it was a great article and I encourage you to check it out, as well as all his other excellent articles. I’ve had similar ideas myself, and I’d like to add my own thoughts as well.

The idea really started to take hold when I was considering the logistics and skills required for conducting patrols, particularly long range “over the horizon” patrolling. The kind of patrolling that a group would conduct to detect and deter threats as early as possible in order to keep them well away from whatever it is they want to secure.

This is different from more localized security, for instance to secure a homestead or town. Localized security is a different job, requiring a different approach than that of a long range patrol. Both can be very draining to those conducting them, but one major difference is the lack of support and skills required to conduct the long range patrol.    ......

https://www.americanpartisan.org/2020/06/badlands-fieldcraft-opinion-self-sufficient-survival-examples-from-history-as-a-template-for-modern-day-survivability/