MCP34

Starting a group. Any advice?

Some local residents in my neighbourhood and I want to start a group. We're not really calling ourselves a Militia at this point. More of a "community watch" I guess. The problems here locally are not too out of hand yet. At least not in our actual neighbourhood. But in recent days, we are starting to get whispers of activity here. People in the community are starting to notice graffiti more than usual for one thing. And my next door neighbour's wife showed me a picture of some at her work place where it stated "burn the whites. it begins". This could just be some punk kids starting trouble because they think it is funny. Or it could be the beginnings of something more sinister. Not sure. I have also heard from a person at work that someone on his street actually has an Antifa flag on his porch. Again, it could be nothing. Or it could be something. There's several more examples I could talk about too. Regardless, it's never a bad idea to have a community come together for defense of each other. But I have never been involved in anything like this before. Right now, there are only 4 of us, and we are having our own pseudo meeting tonight when we are going to be together for a cookout. I know it's kind of a vague question, but does anyone out there have any tips for beginners in organizing this stuff? How do we 'recruit'? Is going door to door a good idea? Sending out flyers maybe? Social Media? Should we even try to get other members at all unless one of us personally knows them? Many of you have been into this a lot longer than us cherries have. Any advice at all of any type would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

@ MCP34 I am currently trying to organize a militia myself. I am going to start a light foot unit. It is very structured and organized, which I like. But I think before I start recruiting, I will start with people I already know and trust. Then, once we get going, we can start adding outside people. I will need to figure out some sort of a vetting process though.

It’s not a bad idea to stick with people you know and trust. Until you have more people a community watch is a good way to get things rolling. Then if you can find more like minded individuals have someone already from the group can vet them and get them rolling. Think in terms of “cells” I’m all for a militia but in my opinion what’s most effective right now are small organized groups that actually go out and patrol the streets of your neighborhood and generate a positive image. People in your community will beginning noticing that you’re actually doing something about the situations. More food for thought..smaller groups can operate differently than a traditional organized militia in terms of the public eye and law enforcement if ya catch my drift.

Congrats on taking the first step. The very first thing you need to do is make sure everyone is on the same sheet of music.  Once you all have hammered that out then the next step should be an area study, Sam Culper at Forward Observer has a good course and book for working through that, and make sure you include the human aspect of it. Then do what basically amounts to a mission analysis, i.e. what kind of situations and people are you likely to encounter as a threat? What capabilities do you need to counter that threat. What skills do you need to support those capabilities? A lot of good comes form just sitting down with a map and wargaming possible scenarios, i.e. if destructive rioters are coming from this area what would be the best way to counter that threat? And make sure everyone is up on the current state defense of self, others, and property laws. Until things go totally south and the law goes out the window that is going to drive your Rules of Engagement (ROE).

Don't try and drink from a firehose., take baby steps at first. And don't try to reinvent the wheel, there's plenty of good simple sound pre-existing tactics, techniques, and Procedures (TTPs) that work well. With small teams I advise people to focus on the fundamentals: shoot, move, communicate, secure, sustain, survive.  Look for qualified instructors with real credentials if you need outside training. Build individual skills first and then use those to support collective skills.

8 minutes ago, Skillet said:

Congrats on taking the first step. The very first thing you need to do is make sure everyone is on the same sheet of music.  Once you all have hammered that out then the next step should be an area study, Sam Culper at Forward Observer has a good course and book for working through that, and make sure you include the human aspect of it. Then do what basically amounts to a mission analysis, i.e. what kind of situations and people are you likely to encounter as a threat? What capabilities do you need to counter that threat. What skills do you need to support those capabilities? A lot of good comes form just sitting down with a map and wargaming possible scenarios, i.e. if destructive rioters are coming from this area what would be the best way to counter that threat? And make sure everyone is up on the current state defense of self, others, and property laws. Until things go totally south and the law goes out the window that is going to drive your Rules of Engagement (ROE).

Don't try and drink from a firehose., take baby steps at first. And don't try to reinvent the wheel, there's plenty of good simple sound pre-existing tactics, techniques, and Procedures (TTPs) that work well. With small teams I advise people to focus on the fundamentals: shoot, move, communicate, secure, sustain, survive.  Look for qualified instructors with real credentials if you need outside training. Build individual skills first and then use those to support collective skills.

Well said excellent post

I have a Manual on starting a new group if anyone is interested. I salute you for taking that first major step. Stick with those you know.

Tennessee Commander

Captain of the 19th Tennessee Infantry

1 hour ago, Rev.E. said:

I have a Manual on starting a new group if anyone is interested. I salute you for taking that first major step. Stick with those you know.

I am interested in a manual on starting a new group. Thought I would post here instead of direct messaging to encourage others to take action.

2 hours ago, MCP34 said:

Some local residents in my neighbourhood and I want to start a group. We're not really calling ourselves a Militia at this point. More of a "community watch" I guess. The problems here locally are not too out of hand yet. At least not in our actual neighbourhood. But in recent days, we are starting to get whispers of activity here. People in the community are starting to notice graffiti more than usual for one thing. And my next door neighbour's wife showed me a picture of some at her work place where it stated "burn the whites. it begins". This could just be some punk kids starting trouble because they think it is funny. Or it could be the beginnings of something more sinister. Not sure. I have also heard from a person at work that someone on his street actually has an Antifa flag on his porch. Again, it could be nothing. Or it could be something. There's several more examples I could talk about too. Regardless, it's never a bad idea to have a community come together for defense of each other. But I have never been involved in anything like this before. Right now, there are only 4 of us, and we are having our own pseudo meeting tonight when we are going to be together for a cookout. I know it's kind of a vague question, but does anyone out there have any tips for beginners in organizing this stuff? How do we 'recruit'? Is going door to door a good idea? Sending out flyers maybe? Social Media? Should we even try to get other members at all unless one of us personally knows them? Many of you have been into this a lot longer than us cherries have. Any advice at all of any type would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

This is completely new to me also. My advice is use your 'Spidey sense' or intuition when dealing with unknown people. My wife has amazing insights into people that I carefully consider while I make my own decisions. Her intuition has helped tremendously in all types of situations. Intuition is really just using the unconscious part of your brain. For example, if someone seems too eager to risk their life and limb when joining your community watch group, ask yourself why? 

Author of the topic Posted

Wow! Such solid advice from you guys. Thanks so much! We were rained out from our cookout. But in a way that was better. We were able to really put some things together. One of my cousins happened to be there too. And he and his wife are both interested in helping out. That's 6 of us so far. We'll be talking in the coming days on how to start community patrols and such. And I'll be using the advice I'm learning here to supplement. Again, thanks everyone!

23 minutes ago, MCP34 said:

Wow! Such solid advice from you guys. Thanks so much! We were rained out from our cookout. But in a way that was better. We were able to really put some things together. One of my cousins happened to be there too. And he and his wife are both interested in helping out. That's 6 of us so far. We'll be talking in the coming days on how to start community patrols and such. And I'll be using the advice I'm learning here to supplement. Again, thanks everyone!

That’s great !

you guys will be steps ahead from most other people in the area 

Freedom 🇺🇸

10 hours ago, O sleeper said:

@ MCP34 I am currently trying to organize a militia myself. I am going to start a light foot unit. It is very structured and organized, which I like. But I think before I start recruiting, I will start with people I already know and trust. Then, once we get going, we can start adding outside people. I will need to figure out some sort of a vetting process though.

Very important MCP34 word of mouth, people you or other trusted people know. Don’t let in a Trojan horse 🐴 

Proceed with caution in this area as it’s hard to vet in this type of war

🇺🇸

I started one in December of 2002. We had a good run (seven years).

http://champaigncounty.tripod.com/

Advice for starting a group? Keep egos to a minimum. (Including your ego.) Focus on learning and honing skills, not politics. Think of it more as an educational initiative, and not as "Let's form a commando group!" Emphasize communication and movement over guns/shooting. Recognize bad apples and purge them from your group.

On 7/4/2020 at 10:04 PM, 20thRegiment said:

Very important MCP34 word of mouth, people you or other trusted people know. Don’t let in a Trojan horse 🐴 

Proceed with caution in this area as it’s hard to vet in this type of war

🇺🇸

The most valuable thing I learned in our militia group was this: I learned who I could trust. That's more important than anything else.

Posted (edited)
On 7/4/2020 at 11:38 AM, MCP34 said:

SMH.....JOIN A ESTABLISH GROUP INSTEAD OF STARTING ANOTHER GROUP.

Edited by Brigadier General Addy, JP

Brigadier General Addy, J.P.

Ohio Minutemen Militia State Commander

Former Marine Sgt

2000-2006

On 7/4/2020 at 11:38 AM, MCP34 said:

WHY DON'T YOU JOIN A ALREADY ESTABLISHED GROUP INSTEAD OF STARTING ANOTHER ONE OF MANY GROUPS IN OHIO

Former Marine Sgt

2000-2006

11 minutes ago, Brigadier General Addy, JP said:

WHY DON'T YOU JOIN A ALREADY ESTABLISHED GROUP INSTEAD OF STARTING ANOTHER ONE OF MANY GROUPS IN OHIO

Maybe they're like me. There are a fair amount of groups in Missouri, but the closest one is an hour to an hour and a half away. So I am going to start one close to me.

47 minutes ago, O sleeper said:

Maybe they're like me. There are a fair amount of groups in Missouri, but the closest one is an hour to an hour and a half away. So I am going to start one close to me.

SEND ME A TEXT AT 740-649-9697

Former Marine Sgt

2000-2006

4 minutes ago, O sleeper said:

No sir. I'm in Missouri. Sorry for the confusion. But I am starting a unit around where I live.

still text me....i can help.....

Former Marine Sgt

2000-2006

Author of the topic Posted
1 hour ago, Brigadier General Addy, JP said:

SMH.....JOIN A ESTABLISH GROUP INSTEAD OF STARTING ANOTHER GROUP.

I'm looking into that. For now, this community watch thing is basically very local. It's for my actual neighbours who share streets and intersections here to get organized. The crime rate was getting bad here before. Now with the panic and other things going on, the crackheads have become more brazen. My country, not just my little city, is in trouble. I do want to get involved on a bigger scale. I was looking at one militia group in my actual county. But it appears that they haven't posted on their facebook page for a year or so. Anyway, the search is on for a group I feel I can fit into. I'm a former soldier, but approaching 50. I'm not sure if that means much. My health isn't bad (well, not THAT bad anyway), and I am well-supplied. But some of the younger guys might feel weird about having a geezer on their six. I'm sure I'll find my place if I keep searching though. Thanks!