Skillet

Firearms safety, it's always relevant.

First off, I don't believe in such a thing as an 'accidental discharge'. If the thing goes boom with very few mechanical exceptions someone did something wrong.  Whether new to firearms or have handled them your entire life I'm going to give you a tip; Before it comes out of the case stop yourself for a minute with no distractions and review the basic rules of firearm safety. That gets you into a safety mindset from the start and helps avoid complacence.

This is the result of a well seasoned former mil guy that has been shooting pretty much his entire life, what we would normally consider a highly competent shooter. In this instance he failed to check the weapon (an AK) to ensure it was clear and on safe almost dropped it, catching it by the trigger as it was headed for the floor. He got lucky that it missed bone,but he's going to have some nerve, ligament, and soft tissue damage that will plague him for the rest of his life. Complacency kills. 

image000000(5).jpg

Would by chance " HE " this " well seasoned military guy "  is you ?

An hear me out.

this is like walking up to a female one has known for a while, and being like, um so, what would you say, if a guy you knew, that you have been friends with for a very long time, told you, that he has a crush on you. An then say, BUT IT ISN'T ME.

Or how on the show COPS,

Cop pulls someone over, an we see this one play out, sir, is this your meth that I literally just found in your back pocket, response, UM no Officer , someone this is someone elses pants, i just borrowed em.

Okay all kidding aside, hope your leg gets better soon, I mean " your friend ".

An also,

how about a spoiler warning next time. or patch the wounds up first. nearly had me puke on my key board.

Plus everyone knows if you drop your rifle, you flail your arms in the air like a maniac , and scream and run away before it hits the ground.

Author of the topic Posted

Not me that's for sure. I' got my ass kicked at 7 for violating safe handling and ever since it's stuck in my head, plus I quit shooting my AKs a while back since they have quadrupled in value.  I've seen professional trainers (including a former D boy) get sidetracked and make a mistake, he's still go tthe hole in his truck door to prove it,. The bottom line is it doesn't matter how much experience or training you have you're not immune if you become too complacent. There's tons of horror stories out there about self inflicted GSWs, and believe it or not most of the ones I have read over the years are not new shooters but folks that have been shooting for a while.

That made you wanna puke? That is a fairly clean GSW. Wait till the fun starts and some of the stuff you'll see makes that look like a playground scratch.

41 minutes ago, GLCsector3295 said:

Would by chance " HE " this " well seasoned military guy "  is you ?

An hear me out.

this is like walking up to a female one has known for a while, and being like, um so, what would you say, if a guy you knew, that you have been friends with for a very long time, told you, that he has a crush on you. An then say, BUT IT ISN'T ME.

Or how on the show COPS,

Cop pulls someone over, an we see this one play out, sir, is this your meth that I literally just found in your back pocket, response, UM no Officer , someone this is someone elses pants, i just borrowed em.

Okay all kidding aside, hope your leg gets better soon, I mean " your friend ".

An also,

how about a spoiler warning next time. or patch the wounds up first. nearly had me puke on my key board.

Plus everyone knows if you drop your rifle, you flail your arms in the air like a maniac , and scream and run away before it hits the ground.

18 minutes ago, Skillet said:

Not me that's for sure. I' got my ass kicked at 7 for violating safe handling and ever since it's stuck in my head, plus I quit shooting my AKs a while back since they have quadrupled in value.  I've seen professional trainers (including a former D boy) get sidetracked and make a mistake, he's still go tthe hole in his truck door to prove it,. The bottom line is it doesn't matter how much experience or training you have you're not immune if you become too complacent. There's tons of horror stories out there about self inflicted GSWs, and believe it or not most of the ones I have read over the years are not new shooters but folks that have been shooting for a while.

That made you wanna puke? That is a fairly clean GSW. Wait till the fun starts and some of the stuff you'll see makes that look like a playground scratch.

Yep it is a very clean wound. Many are much uglier than this. I see worse on a consistent basis. 

4 minutes ago, GLCsector3295 said:

well rats.

But that does remind me of this; that i think i originally saw back in the day on Tosh.0  But the Irony, and how everyone is just standing around going, wtf.

https://youtu.be/vfONckOPyaI

There's more than one instance of LEOs having NDs inside a classroom. I occasionally run training on my range for local LEOs and have seem some really scary weapons handling,, the one ND I've had on my range was a seasoned SWAT officer, who but by the grace of the almighty didn't hit anyone. 

Posted (edited)

it is rather odd, when it happens, but i imagine for the people it happens they in the end become more mad at themselves because they know they should of knew better than to do what they did.

The idea of live fire training the Army always made me nervous, I had always heard of accidents, an thankfully I never had to participate in any, other than once in basic training, they called it a buddy set, buddy move, where you go in one direction, an one fires while one moves to the next cover position and pretty much ya leap frog from one position to the other. tho the other position was at a diagonal so you weren't running in front of the guy firing.

I think I have some in person major blood loss in my life maybe, twice, I can't stand it,  I can't stand giving or having blood drawn. forget it. administering first aid is not for me.  

Edited by GLCsector3295

12 minutes ago, GLCsector3295 said:

it is rather odd, when it happens, but i imagine for the people it happens they in the end become more mad at themselves because they know they should of knew better than to do what they did.

The idea of live fire training the Army always made me nervous, I had always heard of accidents, an thankfully I never had to participate in any, other than once in basic training, they called it a buddy set, buddy move, where you go in one direction, an one fires while one moves to the next cover position and pretty much ya leap frog from one position to the other. tho the other position was at a diagonal so you weren't running in front of the guy firing.

I think I have some in person major blood loss in my life maybe, twice, I can't stand it,  I can't stand giving or having blood drawn. forget it. administering first aid is not for me.  

Well drilled elements and clear signals all the way down to the buddy team is the key to safety on dynamic ranges.  It really gets fun when you mix mounted weapons system like Bradleys into the game on things like Table XII where you've got an entire platoon on the range at once.