Jerry T

North Carolina city approves reparations for Black residents

USA Today 7-15-20

ASHEVILLE, N.C. – In an extraordinary move, the Asheville City Council has apologized for the North Carolina city's historic role in slavery, discrimination and denial of basic liberties to Black residents and voted to provide reparations to them and their descendants.

The 7-0 vote came the night of July 14.

"Hundreds of years of Black blood spilled that basically fills the cup we drink from today," said Councilman Keith Young, one of two African American members of the body and the measure's chief proponent.

"It is simply not enough to remove statutes. Black people in this country are dealing with issues that are systemic in nature."

The unanimously passed resolution does not mandate direct payments. Instead, it will make investments in areas where Black residents face disparities.

REPARATIONS: How much would the US owe descendants of enslaved people?

"The resulting budgetary and programmatic priorities may include but not be limited to increasing minority home ownership and access to other affordable housing, increasing minority business ownership and career opportunities, strategies to grow equity and generational wealth, closing the gaps in health care, education, employment and pay, neighborhood safety and fairness within criminal justice," the resolution reads.

What is systemic racism? Here's what it means and how you can help dismantle it

Increasing generational wealth should be the focus, supporter says

The resolution calls on the city to create the Community Reparations Commission, inviting community groups and other local governments to join. It will be the commission's job to make concrete recommendations for programs and resources to be used.

Councilwoman Sheneika Smith, who is Black, said the council had gotten emails from those "asking, 'Why should we pay for what happened during slavery?'"

"(Slavery) is this institution that serves as the starting point for the building of the strong economic floor for white America, while attempting to keep Blacks subordinate forever to its progress," Smith said.

Councilman Vijay Kapoor, who has often split with Young and Smith on police and budget issues, said he supported the measure for moral reasons. But he said skeptics could look to the "practical reason": data showing showing large disparities between African Americans and other Asheville residents.

"We don't want to be held back by these gaps," Kapoor said. "We want everyone to be successful."

The council allowed an hour of public comment on the measure. Many who were not able to speak before the vote waited for another hourlong comment period afterward, pushing the meeting late into the night. Most were in support.

Rob Thomas, community liaison for the Racial Justice Coalition, which led the push for reparations, thanked the council.

"This is a really, really good gesture as far as the foundation of what we can build," Thomas said. "The potential of what can come out of this document is amazing."

Increasing generational wealth — something African Americans were deprived of through economic and regulatory discrimination — should be the focus, he said.

It was also important that the county's government join, Thomas said, to ensure issues weren't lost between the county and city.

The Buncombe County's Board of Commissioners is not clearly behind the reparations measure, though it has a 4-3 Democratic majority.

I want reparation for loss of companionship because a great uncle died at Normandy in 1944, fighting in the war (I was born in '66). [Hope you detect my sarcastic mocking of such a concept].

Now if there has been an intentional deprivation of opportunity and rights, then that needs to be remedied, by all means. But to think that this generation is owed for what long dead generations have done, is absurd.

In other words, they plan to raise taxes and use those funds to grease the palm of certain organizations and connected individuals.

Per the article:  The unanimously passed resolution does not mandate direct payments. Instead, it will make investments in areas where Black residents face disparities.

Weather most of you like it or not, there is a legal precedent set to dole out restitution payments and settling a lot of these issues. With that said, it is complex and if most all of you leaders and thinkers do not organize and sort out the public relations, the history, the formula for payment, and identification of relatives, with thorough documentation, than the libtards and the Commies will have their day... and then the payments will not be remembered and we will not have any sort of moral high-ground anyways.

Above all else; this is about honor, truth, and reconciliation and the narrative must be taken away from the Commies or they will score a political victory while giving the country an economic defeat.

Right off the top of my head:

(40 acres and a small 2-door diesel truck) x (the number of adult African male slaves at the end of the Civil War)

minus

(The insurance value of a soldier's life) x (the number of dead due to the Civil War)

The land can be given because the US govt owns quite the surplus very easily, the vehicle can be bid on to get the lowest cost and highest quality for all, the money can be given in exchange for school or productivity using the GI Bill as a template because that was in keeping with the original spirit of the declaration. The process must be thoroughly documented and let people say what they need to say weather that is a sincere apology, an issue taken, or a partnership on what to do with someone's portion and payments.

ALL payments will go to ADULT MALES ONLY! This part is non-negotiable!

Also, when partnered with wanton deregulation of business and industry, and shuttering 3-letter organizations, this with produce a God damn economic miracle the likes of which the country has never seen before... and we need that more than even all of you think right now and to establish a much better posture against foreign adversaries...

21 minutes ago, Ovrclockd said:

Weather most of you like it or not, there is a legal precedent set to dole out restitution payments and settling a lot of these issues. With that said, it is complex and if most all of you leaders and thinkers do not organize and sort out the public relations, the history, the formula for payment, and identification of relatives, with thorough documentation, than the libtards and the Commies will have their day... and then the payments will not be remembered and we will not have any sort of moral high-ground anyways.

Above all else; this is about honor, truth, and reconciliation and the narrative must be taken away from the Commies or they will score a political victory while giving the country an economic defeat.

Right off the top of my head:

(40 acres and a small 2-door diesel truck) x (the number of adult African male slaves at the end of the Civil War)

minus

(The insurance value of a soldier's life) x (the number of dead due to the Civil War)

The land can be given because the US govt owns quite the surplus very easily, the vehicle can be bid on to get the lowest cost and highest quality for all, the money can be given in exchange for school or productivity using the GI Bill as a template because that was in keeping with the original spirit of the declaration. The process must be thoroughly documented and let people say what they need to say weather that is a sincere apology, an issue taken, or a partnership on what to do with someone's portion and payments.

ALL payments will go to ADULT MALES ONLY! This part is non-negotiable!

No.

You act like this is not going to happen anyways on different terms, despite the evidence that can be presented and updated in real time.

This is pride and culture getting in the way of the solutions and their implementation by the right people. I saw the same thing overseas between nations, fighting forces, civilians, etc...

Author of the topic Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Ovrclockd said:

You act like this is not going to happen anyways on different terms, despite the evidence that can be presented and updated in real time.

This is pride and culture getting in the way of the solutions and their implementation by the right people. I saw the same thing overseas between nations, fighting forces, civilians, etc...

What are you and your family willing to give up so the score is even? Will you give up your job, home, land or pay extra in taxes? It will never end.  Will you be happy to see your neighborhoods turned into an inner city shit hole? Will you be happy when your son or daughter are told to clean the shoes of a protester who wants retribution for slavery? These left wing city's have given them a "right to protest" yet thats not enough. They burn down buildings and attack anyone who looks different than them. They can not be reasoned with and have a proactive conversation!  Take a look at the news and see what to expect if they get the smallest inch. 

Edited by Jerry T

A dink city can pass this trash... but, at the end of the day they have to collect the revenue to do it.  They won't be getting it from the state.  They won't be getting it from the federal level.  They can't print their own currency.  They're merely going to tax their community of 89k people.  Businesses will close and move.  Tax payers will move.  

It's economic suicide.  And they know it.  As I said above, they're pushing feel good bills knowing that they can funnel some cash to some people they want to make some money.  The black population of Asheville won't receive any tangible benefit.  In fact, they will likely suffer more due to folks/businesses pulling out of the community.

The only way something like this ever gets passed on a State or Federal level is with 1 party control.  

1 hour ago, Jerry T said:

What are you and your family willing to give up so the score is even? Will you give up your job, home, land or pay extra in taxes? It will never end.  Will you be happy to see your neighborhoods turned into an inner city shit hole? Will you be happy when your son or daughter are told to clean the shoes of a protester who wants retribution for slavery? These left wing city's have given them a "right to protest" yet thats not enough. They burn down buildings and attack anyone who looks different than them. They can not be reasoned with and have a proactive conversation!  Take a look at the news and see what to expect if they get the smallest inch. 

Ironically I'm looking for a job, do not own a home, do not own land, and am exempt from taxes for now... You act like a structured and citizen-lead reconciliation has even been tried but it hasn't... Again, there are different factions to be identified and separated and dealt with in different ways and to paint such a broad brush saying that the people that were throwing the bricks are all of them is pretty foolish because not only were they in the minority but there were and are actually militia that went out to protect the protesters and the businesses. This is all considering that there are millions of dollars going into supporting suspended chaos in countries a la Color Revolutions...

I have more skin in the game than most all of you and it's on paper, going through the appeals process to get to the Supreme Court.

Most of you have a deep-seated belief that you actually own your own homes just because you pay for it on a monthly basis but that is not true, same with your vehicles and maybe land.

The same thing has been done for the past 30+ years, over and over again, do not expect a different result or a conclusion to the country's festering matters.

I am going to say no way to this!!  You give ANY group money for bad stuff that happened to their ancestors a long time ago in this country — you will be paying EVERYONE that lived here during the 1700 and 1800s. Literally everyone!!!

Now if you want to donate your $$ for scholarships for minorities or low interest loans then that’s on you; but take it from me— kiss my butt!!!

2 hours ago, Ovrclockd said:

Ironically I'm looking for a job, do not own a home, do not own land, and am exempt from taxes for now... You act like a structured and citizen-lead reconciliation has even been tried but it hasn't... Again, there are different factions to be identified and separated and dealt with in different ways and to paint such a broad brush saying that the people that were throwing the bricks are all of them is pretty foolish because not only were they in the minority but there were and are actually militia that went out to protect the protesters and the businesses. This is all considering that there are millions of dollars going into supporting suspended chaos in countries a la Color Revolutions...

Citizen-Lead Reconciliation?  That's cute.  Spend a lot of time trying to reconcile with Commies?

1 hour ago, Ovrclockd said:

I have more skin in the game than most all of you and it's on paper, going through the appeals process to get to the Supreme Court.

Most of you have a deep-seated belief that you actually own your own homes just because you pay for it on a monthly basis but that is not true, same with your vehicles and maybe land.

The same thing has been done for the past 30+ years, over and over again, do not expect a different result or a conclusion to the country's festering matters.

2 hours ago, TIMK1975 said:

I am going to say no way to this!!  You give ANY group money for bad stuff that happened to their ancestors a long time ago in this country — you will be paying EVERYONE that lived here during the 1700 and 1800s. Literally everyone!!!

Now if you want to donate your $$ for scholarships for minorities or low interest loans then that’s on you; but take it from me— kiss my butt!!!

No you won't...

2 hours ago, RevRifleman said:

Citizen-Lead Reconciliation?  That's cute.  

That's honorable...

2 hours ago, Travlr_45 said:

Im going to add my name to the “ HELL NO “ list!  This will only serve to open the flood gates.  The left is bat crap crazy! Screw’em!

The flood gates are already open... You might as well find the closest geographical piece of history and melt it right along with any old books.

1 hour ago, Jerryt said:

Ok Rambo. 

I am only Rambo in the courtroom because every court date I have had scheduled so far, when I actually step into the the room, there is only my lawyer, the administrator, and the judge. When I look to my left and my right, not a single civil rights organization or representative is present in the room to support me; not the NRA, not BLM, not a local police department, not a single businessman, concerned citizen, or journalist...

I am only here because the generation above me has utterly failed...

Evidently, the media is trying to keep this quiet. I have not seen this story until now. I am fed up! What will it take for Americans to decide to put an end to this type of stupidity. It seems to me that no matter what these people do to us. we do nothing about it. The time will come when it will be too late! Everyday brings our country closer to being transformed into a place that our families will be left with nothing. The goal of these people is to take what belongs to the white man. They intend to either kill us or breed us out of existence. Let's tell it like it is! Being politically correct and afraid we will offend someone will be our downfall!