ROFCB Commander

Leadership 101: DID I SHAVE MY LEGS FOR THIS?

Today is Day Six of the twenty-day "Leadership 101" series I'll be posting. This series expresses my thoughts on some topics important to the successful leadership of a local unit, and asks other unit leaders to post their thoughts, ideas, and experiences on the same subject in hopes that together we can help those who are starting from scratch with unit-building.

Today's topic--"Did I shave my legs for this???".

For those of you who didn't catch the reference in the title of this piece, it is a laugh line that stems from a woman who's experiencing a really bad date. Shaving one's legs is a pain, at least according to my wife, and if it can be avoided, it is. So when a woman shaves her legs for a date that turns out to be awful...well, you get the idea.

As the leader of a local Militia unit, the last thing on earth you want any member, whether a new recruit or a returning participant, to think is "did I shave my legs for this?"

Meetings are boring. Necessary on occasion, but boring. Don't have too many "meetings". When you do, find ways of livening them up. Giveaways are a great tool. Games of chance (where legal) are, too. At the very least, have a short video (with some exciting elements) planned to break up the monotony.

Training, on the other hand, is fun. However, it can be painful and, if improperly presented, embarrassing. NEVER allow your membership to feel as if they are inadequate. NEVER allow others within your unit to talk down to someone who is genuinely trying. NEVER EVER allow someone who can't afford the best equipment to be made to feel inferior to someone who can. I'll take fifty farmers with pitchforks over one Johnny Tacticool any day of the week and twice on Sunday; that farmer is truly committing himself and his life to the cause. Can the same be said of the guy who wants to show off his new toys?

With regard to training, you'll be dealing with people for whom the most strenuous activity in life for the last twenty years is locating the remote. If you expect them to suddenly turn into Johnny Weismuller (look it up) and conquer all manner of physical challenges, you're overreaching. If they suffer too much pain (or worse, humiliation) they won't be back. Sure, we all want a field full of Rambos, but we aren't going to have that ever. What we can have is a field full of guys who eat one too many quarter pounders on occasion--or one Rambo, one Rambo wannabe, and Johnny Tacticool. Which would you be happier with?

Make your training accessible. Push for excellence, but within reason. Make it just tough enough, and remember that one size doesn't fit all. This isn't eighteen year old Marine recruits, it's the FATHER of eighteen year old Marine recruits. Or the mother. Or the GRANDFATHER. Plan accordingly.

And your unit can't be all meetings and training. Wanna know how to keep things hopping, and recruitment high? Host a bowling night. Take one of your "training sessions" and play paintball instead. It would be worth renting all the equipment to do so, for fun but also for the opportunity to put some of  your military tactics (fireteams, etc.) to the test. Instead of a typical meeting, how about holding a short meeting on a local battlefield, where you have the opportunity to also learn some history? Invite a local guide, historian, professor of history, what have you. Spend some time learning about the ordinary people who became extraordinary heroes (Joshua Chamberlain at Gettysburg comes to mind). Learn about the events that made us America. Regain the pride in our country that our kids are missing--and then teach it to them.

How about a day at the pool? Group discounts are available, and it opens opportunities for short trainings to develop water skills. A day flying model airplanes, or drones? Tell me that can't come in handy when the shit hits the fan. Training AND fun--that's how you keep people coming back, and not feeling like they shaved their legs for no good reason.

These activities, or these additions to your training regimen, are the job of your Morale Officer to coordinate and plan. This is why you choose an enthusiastic, creative person for this role. Never underestimate the importance of this position, or the activities that your Morale Officer suggests. This is how you build your ranks and keep them coming back for more. It's how you build camaraderie and cohesiveness within your unit. And most importantly, it's how you build a sense of brotherhood...vital if the time ever does come that they need to count on one another for their very lives.

it's also how you build community within your community--also vitally important. These are the activities that put you and your organization out there, demonstrate that you're just "normal" people who do "normal" things, and show your community how open and "not crazy" you really are. Take pictures, do news releases, invite the press. Use the opportunities you have to self-promote, all while having fun and giving your members reason to keep coming back.

If your unit is all about tromping through the woods with guns, you're badly missing the boat (and that's why it's the same five guys all the time, at least two of whom are bat-shit crazy). If you want to get out of that same-old same-old, remember that comms can also mean "communities". Don't just appeal to Rambo; you'd be surprised what GRandPo can do, if you give him the chance and don't alienate him from the start.

Tomorrow we'll talk about "The Digital Warrior".

I'm considering pushing for a war time leader and peace time leader. The war time guy would focus on training and would lead in battle but the peace time leader would be elected and focus on recruiting and community building 

civiliandefenseforce.org

Some one must lead, when others will only follow! 🇺🇸 

Author of the topic Posted
2 minutes ago, Cb85 said:

I'm considering pushing for a war time leader and peace time leader. The war time guy would focus on training and would lead in battle but the peace time leader would be elected and focus on recruiting and community building 

That's one approach. My vision sees the "peacetime leader" in overall command--think George Marshall or Dwight Eisenhower--but who puts the "wartime leader" in command of the training for the top-tier fighters of the group. Fully 80% (or more) of a unit should never see a simulated, let alone real, battlefield. The true fighting force should be the elites. Everyone should have the opportunity to train in self-defense, handguns, and perhaps even rifles--but learning to shoot when necessary, versus learning to function as part of a fire team...well, that's a stretch for most people. With enough ordinary citizens involved, though, we can funnel the very best to the military side of things, while keeping the rest working on the skills and activities they're good at. And I'll take some fifteen year old in a trailer gathering my intel, or a fat guy who flies drones every weekend who positions himself well back of the front line but gets me battlefield looks or (use your imagination) "other" uses for drones...they're just as important as the guy who can lay a two inch group at 300 yards, in my book.

2 minutes ago, ROFCB Commander said:

That's one approach. My vision sees the "peacetime leader" in overall command--think George Marshall or Dwight Eisenhower--but who puts the "wartime leader" in command of the training for the top-tier fighters of the group. Fully 80% (or more) of a unit should never see a simulated, let alone real, battlefield. The true fighting force should be the elites. Everyone should have the opportunity to train in self-defense, handguns, and perhaps even rifles--but learning to shoot when necessary, versus learning to function as part of a fire team...well, that's a stretch for most people. With enough ordinary citizens involved, though, we can funnel the very best to the military side of things, while keeping the rest working on the skills and activities they're good at. And I'll take some fifteen year old in a trailer gathering my intel, or a fat guy who flies drones every weekend who positions himself well back of the front line but gets me battlefield looks or (use your imagination) "other" uses for drones...they're just as important as the guy who can lay a two inch group at 300 yards, in my book.

Yes I agree. And the 80% arnt scary so the community isn't terrified. And if the "other guys" have a vote for their leader I believe that would further encourage the community to be involved because they have a say in the direction of the group. The larger numbers would be a deterrent to tyranny if the tyrants know the militia has community support 

civiliandefenseforce.org

A local group could call themselves a name other than militia. But serve the same purpose something that evokes the same ideas... maybe modern minute men M3 or something.

it'd be similar to III% so it be recognizable to the existing structure but unknown to the general population.

civiliandefenseforce.org

Just now, Skillet said:

That title 🤣

Lol I know.  But we definitely need to change the branding on militia.  If we don't it will be a constant hinderence.

civiliandefenseforce.org

My project has settled on a title that covers all the bases, I think. The whole project isn't quite ready for public consumption yet, but it's only a few days away. I've been working pretty tirelessly on it for the better part of two weeks now. With luck, it is met with enthusiasm...but we'll see.

Guest Krissy
Posted (edited)

Outstanding post, Commander! From a grandma patriot in Colorado, I'm loving this series. Its bringing our chalienges as leaders, into a much-needed, real world focus. Many great insights about the tactical side of the situation.

It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out, but one thing is for sure. We all need to he getting our butts in gear. We're already losing ground and to the point where I'm wondering if we could possibly go down without a fight! I mean, what's it going to take for us to really engage the enemy? Forced vaccination? Internment camps? By then it could be too late.

Praying for our country, our leadership and a peaceful and just resolution...but standing with you, my fellow patriots, in preparing for the worst. Can't wait to read your next article on the "digital war." Perhaps we will find that we are still in the psyops/electoral/spiritual stage of the war?

Edited by Krissy

Guest Krissy
Posted (edited)

@ Cb85 Excellent idea, sir! What if we were to take a page from your previous comment, and instead of calling our groups militias, calling them "community building" groups? Who could take issue with community building, right?

Edited by Krissy

The overarching idea is to bill ourselves as a civic organization dedicated to defending our communities. There are many ways we can do that, but it's important that defense be part and parcel to it without falling back on the "militia" aspect. Bear in mind that there is nothing inherently wrong with militia; in fact, from an historical standpoint we'd like to eventually restart that conversation legislatively. But as it stands now, the concept of militia was killed in 1903 and hasn't existed since. Moreover, the label has been tarnished by missteps on the part of existing (and former) units and members who didn't take messaging into account when they were starting--and who've either allowed, or participated in, the smearing of the label since. This isn't to say they meant to, or even that they had a lot of control over it; in many cases, they did not. But no matter the reasons, the outcome is the same--Militia is a word with a negative connotation in too many people's minds; people who's support we need if we want to grow and thrive as we prepare for the battles ahead.