Gun Store Employee here: Dust off your "rare" guns

"It's sold out, and we don't know when more is coming"

Odds are you've heard that a lot if you didn't stock up on 9mm before 2020, same goes for .223/5.56 and .22lr. I've had to say that more times than I can count, because I'm a range officer at a gun store/indoor range, and spend about 75% of my time at work explaining to people who own either close to, or exactly, zero rounds of ammunition, that we don't have a single solitary round of shitty steel-case 9mm to sell them for their precious glock. It's all gone, and when it does appear it doesn't last long. To a lesser extent, almost all "common" calibers are very unlikely to be in stock anywhere you look. I have not seen a box of .38 special, or .357 magnum for sale in weeks. .380 is slim pickings and out of stock far more often than not. We got our first shipment of .40 caliber and .45 in ages last week, and both were sold out by the following day, and this isn't a little corner store: This is a large and well managed gun store, located in a fairly small town. We have over a million dollars in weapons and ammunition back-ordered from manufacturers with no ETA because the demand is outpacing the supply by a frankly ridiculous margin. If we don't have it: it's a safe bet almost nobody has it.

Being behind the counter 40 hours a week is a good way to see what stays in stock, and what vanishes quick. Two weeks ago my store got a shipment of 70,000 rounds of 9mm, and we were sold out within 4 hours, WITH a box limit on customers.  That was the last time we received 9mm ammo, everybody walking in looking for it since then has gotten the same answer: It's sold out, and we don't know when more is coming. It could arrive tomorrow, or we might not get it until next year.

On the other hand, I have a stack of a few thousand rounds of .32 ACP sitting on the counter, heavily discounted, because it's been in stock for over a year and even today nobody is buying it. We have three 32 ACP pistols in the used handgun display case right now, at this very moment, which means that any of the hundreds of people walking in complaining about how they have literally zero rounds of 9mm and "Can't even protect their family" (I've heard that line at least 5 times this month), could pick up a functioning handgun and a few hundred rounds of ammo for like 300 bucks total. It's not ideal, sure, but a loaded .32 is going to do far more good than an empty 9mm. I'd not be surprised if a lot of people own a 25 or a 32. Can't find ammo for your AR? If you've got yesterday's AR, the M1 Carbine, 30 carbine ammo is abundant, and while we're talking about 30's: 30-30 ammo is practically expiring on the shelves, and in the vein of cowboy guns: we have enough 45-70 to reenact the Spanish American War in the front parking lot. Just the other morning I had a customer lamenting the fact that he couldn't find ammunition for any of his guns (5.56 and 9mm, never kept any at home, just bought it at the range when he wanted to use them), then when antiques were brought up, he mentioned he had an M1 Carbine he inherited from his grandfather. WELL HOLY HELL KIDDO, WE HAVE ENOUGH 30 CARBINE AMMO TO STORM NORMANDY.

Joking and ranting aside, the point of the post is this: If you don't have ammo for the best, newest thing, why not dust off those old antiques you maybe inherited or haven't shot in a decade or two? Even if they aren't perfect, they're far better than nothing, many were effective military weapons in living memory, and some of them are so easy to find ammo for it isn't even funny.

• Like 4
  • Winner 1

Yea, the ammo situation is getting out of hand. All I have in this world is a .40 and a 12G. I've come to the conclusion that I may not make it in a drawn out gun fight. Probably not gonna happen outside of my own mind, but, ya never really know. 

I've been buying cheap and stacking deep since the 80s. @ Saiga308snipe .31 a round? I bought a few dozen Norinco spam cans at 3 cents a round years ago. It might be time to sell some of that, LOL.

30-30 here is pretty scarce. Amazingly .308 and 30-06 is fairly plentiful. Handgun ammo of any caliber is scarce, forget 9mm. A lot of guys around here are working on their long range game for the time being with hunting calibers like .243 and .270.    

• Like 1

What's available is going to change from place to place. My store has more 30-30 than we know what to do with, other places might be short. The point of the post is if you don't have any ammo for your modern guns, don't ignore the older guns that you can get ammo for at your local gun store. Have a look at your local store and see what's in stock. I see a lot of people coming into the store saying they don't own a single bullet who probably have old guns that work around that they could load up today.

Edited by RZiggy
  • Like 1

With Williams receiver peep sights you can hit a groundhog at 100 yards. With the plastic encased (sabot) 30-30 round you can be accurate at 200 yds. The 22-250 can take out crows at 200 yds. A good.hollow point ina 25 Auto is said to be one of the most lethal at.short range. Two uncles qualified in the army with M1 carbines, bulkseyes at 500 yards every time. The 45-70 is accurate, with a 500 grain bullet, or bigger, at over 900 yards. A black powder .44 is about equivalent to a .357, especially the Colt Dragoons and Colt Walkers, which can handle up to 60 grains.of powder...

I own many guns of different calibers And projectI’ll types and I can honestly say the funnest and most accurate is my $100 Mossberg Plinkster. With 8 mags and 5000 rounds of 22lr. its also the most economic by far. 1-2 MOA zeroed at 100 yards using Wolf match grade.

Think you missed the point Saiga.  The point of the post is to point out some calibers are available but the common ones aren't.  I haven't seen 9mm, 7.62 combloc, .223/5.556mm, .45, or .40 on the shelves since the "pandemic" started.  The only rounds on the shelves are the uncommon calibers.  Hell, I haven't even seen any .30 carbine on the shelves since the riots picked up steam.  That is a caliber that is always in high demand in my area.  I think the days of cheap 7.62 are gone.  At least until we can pick it up from no longer moving "mobile resupply pods".

• Like 1

The bastards mostly operate at night.....if daylight shooting a 204 Ruger is ideal plus no one will be able to match it to anything for it explodes.  400 pound boar hog at 200 yards, head shot, dead!

5mm Remington Magnum....bad.

22 Hornet...bad.

218 Bee....bad.

351 Winchester at 100 yards...bad.

30 caliber M1 Carbine great close quarters good, 30,000 WWII Paratroopers who jumped 6 hours before the D Day Landings can't be wrong.

Model 8 Remington 35 caliber, really bad.

For unit snipers there are other great rounds that can still be had.  

Airborne!

257 Weatherby Magnum with Steiner 4 x 16...really bad.

With these medium calibers, with speed, and longer range bolt action cartridges, do yourself a favor and put a good quality scope on them.  There are a lot of used German Zeiss and new Minox, Shott Glass, from E. Germany, that do very well.  Trijicon also makes a wonderful scope, the one with the tritium.  Kahles is another German scope that is great for sniping.  In the 82nd, in Vietnam, our snipers used a 10x Lyman All American, good scopes.  I have one in a straight 6x.  They were made here but quit making scopes about 4 years after the war.

Leupold and Nikon do good also.

Kill a commie for mommy!

@ RZiggy i like you, your funny. by any chance how much is the 32 and can you ship it? i just got a 32 zastava and i need some more ammo... really i need mags but they are out of stock or 40 bucks. By the grace of god i managed to find some 5.56 the other day at a gun range in the town my mother lives in, ironically its bigger than mine. came back with 120 rounds, including 40 rounds of green tip. It was less than 75 cents a round to, but not by much. Also, i would have a m1 carbine, but for some reason in my area of north Florida they are all expensive. 

Edit: i  should mention i only bought the zastava BECAUSE it was in 32, because i can actually find 32 ammo. It will kill you just as dead.

Edited by young patriot
  • Like 1

Jason from San Diego. Saw this shit coming for years now. LMFAO now when I think back to all those that thought I was a dumb shit for wanting to reload 9mm and 223/5.56. Even when California was lining up its background checks for all ammunition purchases people still disagreed. Now I cant even find cases on the ground in all of the shooting places that I know of in the county. I would know, I helped pick them up, picture below. Nothing is left!!!

IM CAPITALIZING THIS BECAUSE IT'S A GRATITUDE PRAYER.

THANK YOU SIR, WHOM EVER YOU ARE, AT THE SPORTSMAN'S WAREHOUSE, DOWN THE POWDER ISLE, IN YUMA ARIZONA. THANKS FOR TAKING A DECENT AMOUNT OF YOUR TIME TO EXPLAIN THE HORNADY MANUAL TO ME, FOR NO ONE ELSE COULD OR WOULD. BECAUSE OF YOU, EVERYONE IN MY FAMILY HAS THE AMMO THEY NEED. 

Jason 

Non military looking to help.

20201024_061402.jpg

Good luck taking a shot over 200 yards in a suburban or urban environment where the bulk of the conflict is likely to happen.  

Everyone is a sniper in their imagination.  Good luck getting a clear ID on a moving target in a populated environment and taking a shot beyond 200 yards.  I'd argue that the overwhelming majority of engagements in a modern civil war scenario will take place within 50 yards.  The Commies aren't going crunching through the forests or hiking the countryside to find you and your cache.  They have zero incentive to do that.  30 carbine will do that job just fine.  

I think I saw someone lamenting the only thing they had was a shotgun.  Walk around your property and actually assess the realistic max range (furthest point you can actually see without any obstruction from land features) you'd need to cover to defend your property.  I have a lot of dense tree cover surrounding my property... longest shot realistically I'd have to take defending my property is 200 yards.  You can easily cover 50 yards with shotgun and slugs.  

• Like 1

shotgun....3inch or 3 1/2 inch buckshot....bad

I agree, RevRifleman is on point.  Most of this will be close quarters stuff but there will some longer shots if things really get out of hand and I feel it will up north.  When these marxists try to burn down the smaller, redneck, towns they will have major problems.

• Like 1

As stated before, everyone is a sniper in their on mind for sure, but engaging in actual urban combat will require efficient 20 to 50 yard accuracy.  In other words you will have to look your adversary in the face at some point.  Shotguns will serve you well in these ranges.