Your Guide to Buying Body Armor - plus a test & review!

Your Guide to Buying Body Armor - plus a test & review!

• Like 1

"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.” ― Mark Twain

"I prefer dangerous FREEDOM over peaceful SLAVERY" -Thomas Jefferson

“Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other men, but a right that belongs to us by the laws of God and nature.” -Benjamin Franklin

"Si vis pacem para bellum" / "If you want peace, prepare for war" - Every wise warrior there ever was.

lfr.jpg.91d35fb0dbad2fa6e5cc5b2544ce55d5.jpg

lfr.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks.  Yes, this review was one that helped me decide to buy.

Reading stuff like Selco's Balkan war stories makes me think that most of the rounds will be from a ways away, so even III might be decent protection.  In Yugoslavia they were grabbing whatever steal they could find to lean up inside the car door after they got it.

• Like 1

https://www.ar500armor.com/spall-frag-tests

Found these armor frag videos after I went down a internet rabbit hole looking for my next purchase. Some people don’t trust steel plates and say a wearer can get killed by the deflected bullet frag/spall. I’d hate to see someone’s armor stop a bullet but they still get their jugular cut from shrapnel. 

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, Reservedfella said:

https://www.ar500armor.com/spall-frag-tests

Found these armor frag videos after I went down a internet rabbit hole looking for my next purchase. Some people don’t trust steel plates and say a wearer can get killed by the deflected bullet frag/spall. I’d hate to see someone’s armor stop a bullet but they still get their jugular cut from shrapnel. 

This is why when you buy steel plates, you need to pay extra for anti-spall coating build up.  The base coat is only good for rust proofing and is not for containing bullet fragments after getting hit.  A quality steel plate will be rated up to III+ and with built up anti-spall coating will easily stop 5 to 7 rounds plus their fragments before the anti spall coating gets blown out.  If you don't get the extra spall coating build up you will likely suffer some injury at least from spalling.  Everything is a trade off and you have to weigh the trade offs when making a decision.  If you get ceramic / poly it will be rated level 4 and a little lighter but it will take less hits than steel before it is no longer effective.  Also steel is generally less expensive which is another major consideration.  Ceramic armor deteriorates over time and with rough handling, steel doesn't.  You need to think about all of these things when making your choice in armor.

• Like 1
  • Cool 1
  • Winner 2

"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.” ― Mark Twain

“Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other men, but a right that belongs to us by the laws of God and nature.” -Benjamin Franklin

"Si vis pacem para bellum" / "If you want peace, prepare for war" - Every wise warrior there ever was.

lfr.jpg

I have a amor 500 level 3 Steel on the back of my plate carrier, And level 4 ceramic in the front. I wanted more protection in the front because I figured with a backpack and gear it would help stop a round, and I would hope to face my enemy when shot.

• Like 1

It will be a little thickness addition, but on top of the buildup layer for front plate I also bought a 3/8 thich plate of UHMWPE to help absorb the fragmentation.  I plan on velcroing them together tight with edge straps.  For back I didnt get the buildup thinking nothing is really hanging back there behind the plate to get hit with frags...unless i get Kim Kardashin's butt!!  ;)

All III+ rated supposedly.  And I went with steel due to no effective expiration date if cared for, can take MANY hits, and new plates in SHTF new world may not be available.

Edited by Raider45

I have IIIA+ steel plates with build up coating front and back. I would like to add something ceramic to the front to stop spal. I wonder if I could super glue some ceramic tiles to the plate or something? Having a piece of a handgun round fragment on that plate and hit me in the face or dick would fucking suck. LOL

36 minutes ago, White_Wolf said:

I have IIIA+ steel plates with build up coating front and back. I would like to add something ceramic to the front to stop spal. I wonder if I could super glue some ceramic tiles to the plate or something? Having a piece of a handgun round fragment on that plate and hit me in the face or dick would fucking suck. LOL

Spartan Armor and Tactical Scorpion Gear both make Spall Containment Sleeves that you can place steel plates in. Bear in mind... the more layers you add... the tighter the fit in your carrier becomes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, RevRifleman said:

Spartan Armor and Tactical Scorpion Gear both make Spall Containment Sleeves that you can place steel plates in. Bear in mind... the more layers you add... the tighter the fit in your carrier becomes.

Cool. I have a larger carrier. I will def check those out.

11 hours ago, RevRifleman said:

I've ordered systems from both of them and very pleased with service and quality for the price from both.  The trauma pads from Spartan Armor are way better then Tactical Scorpion though.  Of course they cost more as well.

• Thanks 2

lfr.jpg