The AK for SHTF - Why I Switched

Have an Adam's Arms gas piston ar and it performs just as reliably as the ak, 500 plus rds per session without any stopages. Impingement ar starts having function issues after 235 rds. To think that POS is military issue, mind blowing.

Guest Jon H
1 hour ago, Megatron said:

Meh

The ak is ok just rather use a ar15.   

I just got my first one and love it! It was on the rack in a store in Havasu a couple months ago and I figured I better get it. Ammo is a lot cheaper and actually available since it is the most prolific firearm in the world. I am learning more about the firearm with AK operators Union podcasts.  https://shop.akoperatorsunionlocal4774.com/main.sc

1 minute ago, Jon Hall said:

I just got my first one and love it! It was on the rack in a store in Havasu a couple months ago and I figured I better get it. Ammo is a lot cheaper and actually available since it is the most prolific firearm in the world. I am learning more about the firearm with AK operators Union podcasts.  https://shop.akoperatorsunionlocal4774.com/main.sc

They both have served for a long time.   Ammo is impossible to find for either platform. 

“If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn’t thinking.” – General George S. Patton

Guest Jon H

I'm still learning and figuring out the AK platform but it sure seems like a lot of fun plinking. I don't think it is a super accurate firearm but very reliable and affective for self defense or offence if needed. I'm just a plinker or target shooter but I am very proud to own such an historic weapon and will continue learning and adding on to the rifle with what ever I can to make it better. 

I’ve had a lot of aks and I love them. I like aks tremendously more than AR-15s. I only have NATO aks now, which are superior to Combloc Cal. Aks in every way but accessibility.

AR-15s are the most accessible firearms in America for militia purposes and very reliable too. If your DI AR-15 only shoots about 235rds before you encounter malfunctions then you need a better AR-15. No matter what people say budget AR-15s are not “jUsT aS goOd”.

1 minute ago, Mountain Bear said:

I’ve had a lot of aks and I love them. I like aks tremendously more than AR-15s. I only have NATO aks now, which are superior to Combloc Cal. Aks in every way but accessibility.

AR-15s are the most accessible firearms in America for militia purposes and very reliable too. If your DI AR-15 only shoots about 235rds before you encounter malfunctions then you need a better AR-15. No matter what people say budget AR-15s are not “jUsT aS goOd”.

Ill put a 500 dollar ar against the bravo or pricy name brand ones.

My money is they both run about the same. 

“If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn’t thinking.” – General George S. Patton

I've run both platforms. I like my AR's better. Lots more customizing available. More common parts. Cheaper to manufacture.
I will not discount the AK as it is a very proven and rugged platform. I've never felt the need to purposely fill either platform or any platform with mud and debris just to find out.
I will say that I really do love the PSL (Dragnov) rifle. I've won a few friendly long range competitions with it.F_zK6YLBnPC9bolNYymacw1Efo_aMqEUcBNg1kuUxnd7DaPRCnZ7QlTojDZAxbCYplrBmNz-pMSKV0JnjtSJfN9LIztvD_qLjI-3paDK9j6TvTDl1hd4OJMhDaT0CvCjhtBwg4AZejB1ClPdQvnu8Scw9K4os1DevvQ8duDDPl2gxMjlfEcz9VF1VoMojubDZiMypIPuN6ENYtmNgjsCkR2uog1xsLkb0XSjCiQ47S2fYjQmaaAPgBjGWrm1QyGOVb-ABxg9-gLHCeV3k9dT2yEy-UPH_t5t-aDUoprkEEyU4_uQMu3Z-Pn_z-ptngf2mGhFwNqyANxiRc-Vnu5QlnuoEkvLa2kF0dUMGeN4ckgK-LWaPZCrlz-B3U5F2RKw769n0LxSnSkQ6A3fwVLCqzrRfJYmZ2sbQa1p6oA_e36ZjJHmWjwaLuIUJFvf2LcCEy3okkgHFbZiIilOixPnsIIA8DLvvysmscTPzP79T5kFfAbauM6AjSCFS3zRrU9FPIl0qDSIX3xoRpo0mDI2iGq9OsMoCqSu4Gjc4uwX0zOBNGc2oZo1VasMPsYdI9aBioo4OH0CsWyEZLxCueJ2yIrq0O0Ydube6Y0FGxJDjt9KxPSkqhySSlvqPsbLQHrV1rMfGgonvseYn8GuGcv5tUhGlDGSpfWRgosxJtxmWW3PcRzYg-IHsAqeUwXw3Lw=w758-h568-no?authuser=0

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Grey Fox .338 said:

I've run both platforms. I like my AR's better. Lots more customizing available. More common parts. Cheaper to manufacture.
I will not discount the AK as it is a very proven and rugged platform. I've never felt the need to purposely fill either platform or any platform with mud and debris just to find out.
I will say that I really do love the PSL (Dragnov) rifle. I've won a few friendly long range competitions with it.F_zK6YLBnPC9bolNYymacw1Efo_aMqEUcBNg1kuUxnd7DaPRCnZ7QlTojDZAxbCYplrBmNz-pMSKV0JnjtSJfN9LIztvD_qLjI-3paDK9j6TvTDl1hd4OJMhDaT0CvCjhtBwg4AZejB1ClPdQvnu8Scw9K4os1DevvQ8duDDPl2gxMjlfEcz9VF1VoMojubDZiMypIPuN6ENYtmNgjsCkR2uog1xsLkb0XSjCiQ47S2fYjQmaaAPgBjGWrm1QyGOVb-ABxg9-gLHCeV3k9dT2yEy-UPH_t5t-aDUoprkEEyU4_uQMu3Z-Pn_z-ptngf2mGhFwNqyANxiRc-Vnu5QlnuoEkvLa2kF0dUMGeN4ckgK-LWaPZCrlz-B3U5F2RKw769n0LxSnSkQ6A3fwVLCqzrRfJYmZ2sbQa1p6oA_e36ZjJHmWjwaLuIUJFvf2LcCEy3okkgHFbZiIilOixPnsIIA8DLvvysmscTPzP79T5kFfAbauM6AjSCFS3zRrU9FPIl0qDSIX3xoRpo0mDI2iGq9OsMoCqSu4Gjc4uwX0zOBNGc2oZo1VasMPsYdI9aBioo4OH0CsWyEZLxCueJ2yIrq0O0Ydube6Y0FGxJDjt9KxPSkqhySSlvqPsbLQHrV1rMfGgonvseYn8GuGcv5tUhGlDGSpfWRgosxJtxmWW3PcRzYg-IHsAqeUwXw3Lw=w758-h568-no?authuser=0

Nice Rhineland stock

• Like 2

Had a little Russia vs. USA rifle match. The young man I'm shooting against it a savant with a scope and I could never beat him until I found his weakness....
Open sights. The kid can hit a quarter at 800 yards with a scope, but with open sights he couldn't make it past 200 yards.
The game we shot here was 6 rounds walked out from 100 yrds to 400 yrds and back
Rifles used:
Me: Russian PSL in 7.62*54R
Him: M1 Garrand in 30.06
Score:
6/6 me
3/6 Him

He though there was something wrong with his sights. I grabbed his rifle and hit 400 on open sights with every shot. 🙂

• Winner 2
Guest Jon H

Thanks for all the feedback about the AK. I think I have the iron sights figured out and can hit targets at 100 yards "10" steel "standing position without support.  I was able to get wolf 122 grain ammo for a low price a few weeks ago at I think Bulk Ammo or Ammo Man (both have been great in this crazy time) and have been purchasing more at a much higher rate and fewer numbers. I am seeing prices of more than $1.00 per round for 556 and 9mm in the last few weeks. 

I make Home Depot boxes that I get for about $1.50 each and turn them into two large targets. I made a template of a figure and use flat black paint. I set them up with a pvc pipe with a tee and set the cardboard target on one side and hang a clay target on the other side. I drive in a concrete stake and set the pvc onto that and set up 6 or 8 targets at different locations and use that as a run and gun.  The clay pigeon targets get the Mossgerg 500 and the card board targets get the 9mm or NOW will get the AK.

I can't wait to get out there and practice with my new favorite tool. AK211906753_homedepottargets.thumb.jpg.5d19414273e4dc9e26b2fab1e8c6c071.jpg

1 minute ago, Megatron said:

The ak sights are a weak point.

Check out 9 hole review for some good ak information 

I like em personally but they definitely do not hold a candle to M14 or M1 Garand sights. There’s a few peep sight replacements.