• The Definitive Militia Resource - Forum, Groups, Directory, Maps, Gallery and More...
Hello Guest,
Have a membership? Please LOG IN.
Need a membership? Please REGISTER.

2017 August Focus - Mobility

Discussion in 'The Monthly Focus' started by fixer, Aug 2, 2017.

1. fixer

fixer Chief Architect

Jan 28, 2016
    Captain
    Perry Co. Regiment
    State:
    OH

this months focus will be mobility i have recently added a dual sport road legal adventure bike to the stables

$5900 out the door for a vehicle that will carry me 6' 230lbs to 60mph in 4th gear with 2 gears left, and travel off road on the narrowest of pathways getting 74mph with a 150mile range , went with honda due to 6000 mile service interval and fuel injection. its a 2017 crf250L , i also own a honda 420 rancher, a awd bmw car and a 4x4 nissian titan , and a camper

the military deuces are very affordable at around $6500 has anyone looked into them?

i feel im pretty prepared
    to bug out or bug in and a big part of that is mobility ,

how mobile are you?

tell us all about it...

IMG_4472.JPG IMG_4495.JPG IMG_4497.JPG IMG_4498.JPG

2. whiskey6

whiskey6 Administrator

Apr 16, 2016
    SGT
    State:
    LA

I have three modes of transportation. By car, by bicycle, and my trusty LPCs.

3. Rick F

Rick F Cannon Fodder

Jul 27, 2017
    State:
    PA

getting my knees done in 2weeks, after recovery I plan on getting a bicycle.. other than that i have 2 4x4 vehicles.. plan on carrying the bike in the bed of my truck for emergencies..

25 miles one way to work makes for a long walk....

4. Tracey Smith

Tracey Smith Jr. Patriot

Aug 1, 2017
    Applied, but no confirmation to ky 3%
    State:
    KY

Not thinking of being forced off of the grid. Not sure the wife or I, either one could survive the roughings. Plan on bugging in as plan one, but to get home or a bug out case? I drive an f250, 7.3 turbocharged diesel with 8' bed and manual 6 speed tranny. Very well maintained and real thrill. Pushing, pulling, or hauling, this thing is a beast.

fixer likes this.
  5. Sarge

Sarge American Patriot

May 5, 2016

Well my primary is a Ford pick up/a topper, V6/5 speed. Makes a good camper for 2.
    For back up I have an M 170 (CJ6) Front line ambulance which can sleep 2 and an M38A1 jeep.
    Then just for the hell of it I have a couple of motorcycle/side car combis and a trailer to haul one of them behind any of the above. I could actually tow a jeep behind the PU and a trailered combi behind that if needed.
    I've also got 7 or 8 GI 5 gallon gas cans if needed.
    Sarge

Tracey Smith likes this.
  6. Tracey Smith

Tracey Smith Jr. Patriot

Aug 1, 2017
    State:
    KY

You know, I really can't wrap my head around bugging out. To where? If we had a HQ, compounds, a rally point to mount up and strike from or defend? I have over 40 firearms and pushing 7000 rounds, which would I take or leave behind? I couldn't take'em all cause I have to balance the grub and food and equipment. Bugging in is the only reasonable choice for me.

Chris-the-plumber likes this.
  7. fixer

fixer Chief Architect

Jan 28, 2016
    Captain
    Perry Co. Regiment
    State:
    OH

bugging out has a ton of perspectives

in reguards to firearms , in my opinion if you can only have one it would most definatly be a semiauto 22lr like a marlin 60 tube or a ruger 10/22 magazine. 22lr is the apocalypse ammo you can find it anywhere and with low report you wont be giving up your position, it will work for hunting and defense and requires low maintenance

Chris-the-plumber likes this.
  8. fixer

fixer Chief Architect

Jan 28, 2016
    Captain
    Perry Co. Regiment
    State:
    OH

important to note all long term bugging in at some point will be come a bugging out situation once supplies reach a "can travel" level

9. whiskey6

whiskey6 Administrator

Apr 16, 2016
    SGT
    State:
    LA

When it comes to deciding what you leave vs what you take, its individual to each person/group. Ideally, you would want to prepare now to have a plan of where to go, how to get there (w/ multiple routes), what to take, and why to go. I carry an everyday carry bag, my vehicle has a get home bag, and I have a GOOD bag. What I carry for the different aspects each have their purpose towards the goal of the gear. My everyday carry has things I use daily (a booboo kit, a water bottle, and some snacks), my get home bag has specific items to get me home, and my GOOD bag has what I need to go to my safe space.

The topic of this month is transportation, so lets focus on that. What are you looking for in your emergency transportation? I focus on three tiers of transportation, Everyday transport is my car, emergency times, I use the flexibility of a mountain bike, and ultimately, I have my boots. I plan for all three, should something occur. I know their limitations and how/when I would use them, or more specifically when I wouldn't use them. I live in an area that has a lot of canals/rivers/streams that can quickly limit where a car can go. I have my routes out to high ground, but the key is, I have plans and have reconn'd the routes.

Evaluate your own emergency transportation. What are your criteria? Limitations/capabilities of each mode of transportation. Lets here it.

10. Tracey Smith

Tracey Smith Jr. Patriot

Aug 1, 2017
    State:
    KY

I like the outlet of this thread, but lets breakdown the situation of events.
    1. Natural disaster in your area or such as what happened in Louisiana after the floods. People had warnings and time to prepare. Many failed, and criminals began to thrive in the absence of the law and emergency response, local governments battled the criminals by confiscating all firearms.

2. The liberal democrats attempt a coupe to regain control of the government, causing riots in most sanitary cities, and total collapsing of our infrastructure.

3. North Korea get their way, using their stealth sub, hits use with four nukes. Government survives, but WWIII just began, our forces are at full response, calling on volunteers, but inner country has become a battle zone in affected fallout zones.

4. China calls our deabt, America goes bankrupt over night. American currency is no longer worth the paper it's printed on. Total economical collapse.

Just a few cases i could bring together in my mind as realisms, we face today.

11. Chris-the-plumber

Chris-the-plumber Grumpy, but effective.

Jul 14, 2016
    State:
    South Carolina

Our vehicle situation is simple. Two trucks, nothing fancy. I can ride, but with kids it won't work for me. In the event of community cohesion, we have neighbors with horses. Short close patrols. Like I said, simple.

Tracey Smith likes this.
  12. BuryTheHatchet

BuryTheHatchet Administrator

Feb 24, 2016
    State:
    IA

I have three 4x4 trucks and people haulers ready to roll at any time. Two gassers and one diesel rig.

Tracey Smith likes this.
  13. BuryTheHatchet

BuryTheHatchet Administrator

Feb 24, 2016
    State:
    IA

I have no plans to bug out, but this scenario was asked of my local group...a large mob (over a dozen) of armed looters comes to your place. Think about when you would first observe them, and what your first reaction would be, then what your next plan of action would be considering the time you have available..
    My plan would be to evacuate any people out of the house (with everyone grabbing arms/ammo/ready to go bags) and into the surrounding cover while the dog distracts the attackers (until the dog gets shot). Then I would engage the attackers from a relative safe distance if possible or arrange a plan to ambush them on the way out of my property. The odds that every home could be defended from the inside against multiple attackers is quite slim. Looters would most likely set fire to your house from a side that you cannot see or defend against. Multiple point of entry into a home is going to be a huge issue unless you have a couple people to cover every door and window. The stark reality is that you will have to leave most of your property in the house for the looters to ransack and look through. Most of your stuff will be recoverable if you can turn the tables on the looters. It is best to plan multiple storage caches around your property and hidden storage points inside the house.

Tracey Smith likes this.
  14. Tracey Smith

Tracey Smith Jr. Patriot

Aug 1, 2017
    State:
    KY

Agreed, fire would come if they couldn't force you out. I think, you have the right idea, but I love 12 ga. Booby traps. They are really cheap, and legal to own. Then again, after a few of'em figured it wasn't safe to enter, they may very well still burn the place down.