• The Definitive Militia Resource - Forum, Groups, Directory, Maps, Gallery and More...
Hello Guest,
Have a membership? Please LOG IN.
Need a membership? Please REGISTER.

The Monthly Focus Forum

Discussion in 'The Monthly Focus' started by fixer, May 6, 2017.

1. fixer

fixer Chief Architect

Jan 28, 2016
    Captain
    Perry Co. Regiment
    State:
    OH

Once a month we will present a topic for the community to focus on. It is our intent that everyone share videos, photos, articles and everything they can about the specific subject matter.

Together we can teach and learn and by the end of the month everyone will be more proficient on the topic at hand.

These topics will range from training methods and competencies from the sites main avenues medical, tactical, survival to specifics on certain firearms and weapons.

Only staff members can start new threads in this forum to prevent attrition. To submit a subject for consideration just contact any staff member. You can also post a new thread at any time in the appropriate forum on the site.

Everyone (but guests) can post replies in this new forum and we appreciate everyones involvement.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  2. FarmerJohn

FarmerJohn Advisor

Apr 29, 2017
    State:
    NY

So, how about we start taking suggestions for next months focus? Anyone got any ideas? Ive got one to start the ball rolling. Decontamination. (Scenario) Your living in the middle of hotzone. Your home is set up to keep out particulates. When leaving amd returning, how do you decontaminate before entering? If you have a nbc suit, (i see alot of army surplus specials, ive got one myself) where do you take it off, what do you do prior to removal, if its the only one you have how do you prepare it for reuse. If you have a foyer in your home, how can you set up an area to decontam. In etc what makes me choose this, i live near indian point nuke plant, its the most dangerous plant in the country and its come close to melting down twice because of faulty systems. Ive got nbc gear, plus disposable tyvec suits but i have no idea what to do when returning from a hot area into a clean one. Or how to maintain the suit to keep it ready for reuse. Im assuming you dont just hang it up and climb back in it? Someone told me those suits are only good for 6 hours. Even if thats the case, if you only have the one, what then?…............ok thats my suggestion. Anyone else?

3. fixer

fixer Chief Architect

Jan 28, 2016
    Captain
    Perry Co. Regiment
    State:
    OH

Was thinking water purification and collection as fire/water are essentials?

decontamination is a good one too , would be intereted in learning more about exposure and the use of iodine to protect tyroids as they are most subjectable to radiation

iodine is very interesting its used for alot of things people don't realize like fuel

search wikipedia for iodine and you will be surprised what you learn ... it comes from a rock

what ever the topic ill be involved either in learning or sharing ;)

FarmerJohn likes this.
  4. whiskey6

whiskey6 Administrator

Apr 16, 2016
    SGT
    State:
    LA

I am all for the basics and work towards the more advanced topics

FarmerJohn likes this.
  5. FarmerJohn

FarmerJohn Advisor

Apr 29, 2017
    State:
    NY

Yeah that sounds like a good one being the two skills are tied so closely. Ill have to check that out about the iodine. When you say used for fuel do you mean in fuel or as fuel?

6. Donald G. Hunter

Donald G. Hunter Odie 1

Jul 5, 2016
    State:
    CA

Triiodide is also a pressure sensitive explosive...

horsemn likes this.
  7. Donald G. Hunter

Donald G. Hunter Odie 1

Jul 5, 2016
    State:
    CA

I spent part of my career being a staypuffed marshmallow man, so, I can advise on decontamination. If we decide on that topic. I also believe that potassium permanganate and glycerin would be the best thing to have as a resource. The 2 mixed can start a fire and a small pinch of the potassium permanganate will make water safe to drink.

horsemn likes this.
  8. horsemn

horsemn Edit title in your profile

Jun 29, 2016

I vote water purification.

Will333 likes this.
  9. Will333

Will333 Sympathizer

Jul 4, 2016

Decon ingress, egress is a rigid, methodical, step by step subject, definitely an important one (in my humble opinion). Tenting the inside of one's house with thick plastic sheets taped together gets a little involved in explaining. If you aren't prepared for it, and run out of plastic sheets, water or Iodine tablets, it/ you wont have the problem for very long.
    I haven't been here long, so I don't know how many take this all seriously. I know I do, and I'm not the only one.
    From a little observation... I 'see' that the need is around the rules of 3's. 3 min without air (how to prepare), 3 days w/ out water (how to prepare), 3 weeks w/ out food (how to prep), 3 hours exposed to adverse severe elements (how to deal), etc. A documented PDF method/solution that can be shared/ referenced. Doesn't seem like most consider redundancy; 1 is none, 2 is 1, etc.
    Of course I'm the newest of new guy's and obviously haven't had much time to observe and analyze the forums and strings. Just my 2 cents worth.
    I'm here to learn more tactical engaged ground movement tactics and collusion between multiple friendly squads in the field, even if it is just diagramming. But I recognize all useful learning is valuable and welcome.

Donald G. Hunter and horsemn like this.
  10. Donald G. Hunter

Donald G. Hunter Odie 1

Jul 5, 2016
    State:
    CA

You forgot 3 hours without shelter....usually no one counts 3 minutes, if you aren't good for that one it's to late anyway.

horsemn and Will333 like this.
  11. Will333

Will333 Sympathizer

Jul 4, 2016

Yep, I did. It was late, and I was in an hurry...

Donald G. Hunter likes this.
  12. Donald G. Hunter

Donald G. Hunter Odie 1

Jul 5, 2016
    State:
    CA

I understand totally, I've done that!