Sign in to follow this  
fixer

The Unpatriotic Patriot Act - anti-constitutional

topic for discussion , how the patriot act is anti-constitutional

The USA PATRIOT Act is an Act of Congress that was signed into law by President George W. Bush on October 26, 2001. With its ten-letter backronym (USA PATRIOT) expanded, the full title is "Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act of 2001".

US Constitution (Bill of Rights)

Amendment IV: The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

USA Patriot Act

Freedom from unreasonable searches: The government may search and seize Americans' papers and effects without probable cause to assist terror investigation.

Amendment VI: In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the state and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense.

USA Patriot Act

Right to a speedy and public trial: The government may jail Americans indefinitely without a trial.

Amendment I: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

USA Patriot Act

Freedom of association: To assist terror investigation, the government may monitor religious and political institutions without suspecting criminal activity.

Amendment VI: ... to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense.

USA Patriot Act

Right to legal representation: The government may monitor conversations between attorneys and clients in federal prisons and deny lawyers to Americans accused of crimes.

Amendment I: Congress shall make no law ... abridging the freedom of speech ...

USA Patriot Act

Freedom of speech: The government may prosecute librarians or keepers of any other records if they tell anyone the government subpoenaed information related to a terror investigation.

Amendment VI: ... to be confronted with the witnesses against him ...

USA Patriot Act

Right to liberty: Americans may be jailed without being charged or being able to confront witnesses against them. US citizens (labeled "unlawful combatants") have been held incommunicado and refused attorneys.

Rand Paul is a major anti-patriot act advocate he has been quoted referring to it as an "illegal spy program" , early in the presidential debates Rand Paul teed off on Chris Christy multiple times, Chris Christy supports the Patriot Act , he was governor of New York on 9-11 so he is very passionate about his support on the patriot act to try to find terrorists before they attack, he over looks the violations this act has made on law abiding americans that are anti-constitutional in nature.

Here’s Paul statement in full:

“I have fought for several years now to end the illegal spying of the NSA on ordinary Americans. The callous use of general warrants and the disregard for the Bill of Rights must end. Forcing us to choose between our rights and our safety is a false choice and we are better than that as a nation and as a people. “That’s why two years ago, I sued the NSA. It’s why I proposed the Fourth Amendment Protection Act. It’s why I have been seeking for months to have a full, open and honest debate on this issue— a debate that never came. “So last week, seeing proponents of this illegal spying rushing toward a deadline to wholesale renew this unconstitutional power, I filibustered the bill. I spoke for over 10 hours to call attention to the vast expansion of the spy state and the corresponding erosion of our liberties.

“Then, last week, I further blocked the extension of these powers and the Senate adjourned for recess rather than stay and debate them. “Tomorrow, we will come back with just hours left before the NSA illegal spying powers expire. “Let me be clear: I acknowledge the need for a robust intelligence agency and for a vigilant national security.

“I believe we must fight terrorism, and I believe we must stand strong against our enemies.

“But we do not need to give up who we are to defeat them. In fact, we must not.

“There has to be another way. We must find it together.

“So tomorrow, I will force the expiration of the NSA illegal spy program.

“I am ready and willing to start the debate on how we fight terrorism without giving up our liberty.”

“Sometimes when the problem is big enough, you just have to start over. The tax code and our regulatory burdens are two good examples.”

“Fighting against unconditional, illegal powers that take away our rights, taken by previous Congresses and administrations is just as important.”

“I do not do this to obstruct. I do it to build something better, more effective, more lasting, and more cognizant of who we are as Americans.”