Sopater

Militia Insignias

What insignias should the various members of the militia of the several states try to obtain? Should there be something on a national scale, state scale, batallion/county scale, or should there be insignias that are unique to small groups and fire teams? I don't think that we should be loaded down with a miriad of patches, but I think we need to identify who we are and show unity. What do you all think?

According to the Geneva Conventions and the Laws of Land Warfare, even militias should wear uniforms and distinctive unit patches. That being said, the Lightfoots wear the Molon Labe patch, others use their own. Being that most militias are not in any way unified nationally, its entirely up to your unit's discretion.

My suggestion, if you are in a militia, wear a rank, your state's flag(subdued), a distinctive unit patch, name tape and State Militia tape. These being worn in their normal positions. Name tape going on the chest over the right pocket, State militia tape over the left pocket, Rank on each collar lapels or the center of the chest (depending on what style of uniform you are wearing), unit patch on the right shoulder, state flag (subdued) on the left shoulder. In the center of your patrol cap, utility cover, or boonie cap you should also wear your rank.

• Like 1

How big is a "unit"? Woud that be a small 3-man team or would it be a squad or platoon size group? Maybe I'm getting too much into particulars, I don't know.

I guess, what I'm asking is, would it be foolish to design our own patches for our small, 3-man team when there is no larger unit in my area?

I like all your suggestions, whiskey6, and agree 100%. Now I'm just trying to decide what our "distictive unit patch" would look like.

Thanks

when it comes to militia, we are the UNORGANIZED militia, which means we are not actively serving our state or the President(Commander in Chief) {US Constitution Article 2, Section II, Clause 1}. As such, we technically are not a military unit. We are clubs, for lack of a better term, that train together for the potentiality of having to serve in times of crisis. How large your club is and what deserves a distinctive patch is purely subjective. The intention of most militia groups is to be called up and serve together, but that may not be the case. If you are called up as a group, and already have your own patch, your militia may or may not be allowed to keep it. If all you have around you are three members banding together to train, and you are not associated with another militia, go ahead and make your own patch. Look at the patches of the US Army for examples of what is already or have been worn. Avoid making duplicates of them, but rather use them as a basis for your own.

• Like 4

Whiskey6's answer brings up an interesting topic. What kind of process could allow the unorganized militia to be requested for state service, and whom they would be held accountable to?

• Like 1

Seen a website that seemed to address this issue, i'll try to find it and the website and share it..

Calling up the Unorganized Militia comes in two areas. The State and Federally. Both may have the authority to do so. In Louisiana, it falls under the Revised Statutes in section 29. Federally, it falls under title 10 of the US Code, if I remember. Depending on who calls you up and why, will likely dictate how they will handle it.

The patches are up to you and your immediate team. "Unit" is whatever size you want. For us it's a Year long commitment with required attendance and having competed all basic M.E.T.L.(Mission Essential Task List) training. When you meet the standard you get "Patched".

• Like 4

when it comes to militia, we are the UNORGANIZED militia, which means we are not actively serving our state or the President(Commander in Chief) {US Constitution Article 2, Section II, Clause 1}. As such, we technically are not a military unit. We are clubs, for lack of a better term, that train together for the potentiality of having to serve in times of crisis. How large your club is and what deserves a distinctive patch is purely subjective. The intention of most militia groups is to be called up and serve together, but that may not be the case. If you are called up as a group, and already have your own patch, your militia may or may not be allowed to keep it. If all you have around you are three members banding together to train, and you are not associated with another militia, go ahead and make your own patch. Look at the patches of the US Army for examples of what is already or have been worn. Avoid making duplicates of them, but rather use them as a basis for your own.

I disagree with several points you made here.

• Like 1