tixan

My country is on the brink of civil war, looking for advice

Hello everyone. I just registered on the site and if I am violating some rules by opening this topic in this sub-forum please tolerate me.

Now, why I needed to register on this site...

First of all let me clarify that I am a Turkish citizen. I am guessing many people around here must be quite nationalistic/patriotic/... so I am putting it straight that I am not one of you guys.

I live in Turkey which currently goes in a terrible direction under an islamist government. Just tonight a bunch of barbaric hooligans attacked the crowd in a record store. The people were just trying to enjoy a gathering, listening music and having a few drinks. Events like this are becoming more and more normal in Turkey. And people like me, who are not one of the barbaric-backwards horde, are in real danger of being attacked on the street for the way we dress, talk, or even because our complexion and features are rather fair.

So tonight I found myself checking prices on fluteless weapons on the internet (they are easiest for a person like me to get here in Turkey). I just realized I know next to dick about weapons, self defense, urban fighting etc. I am truely worried for safety of mine and my loved ones.

I am open to any suggestions as to the upcoming terrible events in this country.

welcome to the site, you are in a unique situation relative to the common discussion here on My Militia.

by law we must advise you to educate yourself on your local laws and regulations as we are not permitted to suggest actions on your part that tho they may be within your legal right where we are, may not be where you are.

with that said i can only assume what your local compliance is based on your post because i am not an expert on every countrys situation ...

you seem to be in a very unpleasant situation,

are you looking for make shift ways to defend yourself?

Are you legally allowed to possess a firearm?

is leaving an option?

• Like 1

Thanks for your interest fixer, leaving the country is not an immediate option. I just want to prepare myself in terms of self defense, weaponry knowledge, issues of logistics, urban conflict environments etc.

As I stated the easiest way I can get a firearm is by purchasing a licensed fluteless. Those weapons are easier to get (in terms of licensing). I can also get pepper sprays, tasers, taser guns etc. My problem is I have always chosen to be a bystander by now therefore I lack knowledge on these matters. However, I am feeling that in my life time I will regret being a bystander if I keep being one.

So I am open to any advice, even those which could seem trivial for you bunch. Currently, Turkey is a lawful state disturbances like I mentioned in my original post are still the exception. But the same holds for the US (even more so I believe) that does not keep you guys from preparing yourself for the worst.

• Like 1

ok first of all we are here for your best interest, we exstend our hand to you with integrity and respect and will do what we can to help

you need to find like minded locals asap and meet regularly and have a plan we have many tools to coordinate your group

so start by finding locals who feel the same as you

we have over 700 guides, manuals and informative reading in the self-reliance institute

http://www.mymilitia.com/forums/self-reliance-institute-mm-sri.113/

here you can learn self defense , first aid, urban techniques and much more

you are permitted to download all the files you want for off line reference

Where in Turkey are you? Where is that in relation to the majority of the conflict?

• Like 1

You articulate very well. Surely you have like minded friends, whom you trust, that share your concern. You and your groups are targets under your government. Those hooligans you speak of do these things without fear of reprimand or retaliation. Few Americans would be able to relate to your fear and situation of constant oppression. This is the tactic of your foes. They want you to fear and leave. My advice is this... decide if you can take care of your family's needs where you are. Consider a safer location with other friends or family, or maybe a farther away exit plan. You are the best judge of your family's situation and safety. Develop a plan and a set of skills to keep you safe while away from home, a plan to get you back to home, a plan for staying in the home, and a plan for exiting your home. This is where a group of like minded friends is important. You can set up safe houses at each of their locations as well as any needed extra supplies. These places can be stops along the way or they can be short term stays until you determine if you can safely go back home.

Physically preparing is only half of the challenge. You need to decide what your level of mental preparedness is going to be. Being prepared will allow you to think more clearly and will allow better decisions when needed. You must decide if you have the will to physically hurt another being, and how far you are willing to go to prevent an attacker or group from reaching you or your family. This is perhaps the most challenging hurdle. Your faith may dictate the limits, or it may give you the determination to stop an attacker at all costs including sacrificing your life for your family's safety. Turning the tide of oppression in anyone's country only comes from two things: divine intervention, or bloodshed. I do not wish your situation upon anyone. As Americans, most of us have spent many generations away from this horror and constant fear you are facing. Please feel free to look at the resources we have here. Also, feel free to share your experiences. Many people refuse to believe what the real world situation is out there outside of our borders.

• Like 1

I am in Istanbul. Istanbul is the biggest metropolitan area in Turkey and it is like a condensed version of the whole of Turkey. Every ethnic, political, cultural group has its share in this big city.

Yesterday's event seems to have ignited a reaction on secular/westernized folks and they are organizing on social media as of now to give a response. That response might trigger much bigger events.

I thank you guys for your replies. I am checking out the sources you suggested.

• Like 1

Tixan, I feel for your situation. I have been following the shift Turkey has made from a moderate Muslim country to embracing more extreme ideologies. If I was you, I would look to moving out of Istanbul and look to moving to the Kurdish area to the south. They are moderates that managed for centuries not to get crushed under Islamic tyrants. Christian communities may be another option, but they are often slow at defending themselves, hence the slaughter of the Armenians and the Asian Minor Orthodox by Turkish regimes. If Turkey goes the way to the rest of the Middle East, even moderate Muslims will be persecuted and possibly executed.

I will link you my favorite source for preparing yourself for the times to come.

http://www.uscrow.org

I know your country has laws against many weapons that you are not allowed to possess. Turkey has those laws to make it easier for them to oppress their people. I advise you to consider what laws you are willing to continue following in order for you to defend yourself, your family, your friends, and maybe even preserve the country you are losing.

• Like 1

All the ideas here are sound Tixan. Believe the first to do would be to get like minded family and neighbors together. See who you trust, and let them trust you. Develop that network, and that way you can have a alarm system that would let you know

beforehand what's going down. Spread it out, have three or more, who can get three or more like minded people to protect each other and know what's going on around your neighborhood.

Wonder how he is doing? He is living the reality of what happens when citizens are left defenseless at the hands of evil regimes.

Hey @fixer. I am still around, still living in Turkey. Thanks for dropping a line. Sometimes I am worried all hell might break loose in Turkey if some critical thing ignites the hostility of different strata of the society towards each other. However, most of the time life is still bearably peaceful in Turkey (at least where I live).

I believe the sound option for me is to leave the country as soon as possible. A lot of people from secular-educated youth have already fleed the country as well as some people with considerable money. I am too weighing my options and working towards that goal.

• Like 1

Wow...a voice from the past returns. We feared the worst for you, my friend.

Any input on the current feelings of your people and leadership towards our Trump administration? Changes have definitely happened for the better in our country, but we remain vigilant as ever for those that want to take hostilities towards our Constitution and liberty.

@tixan glad to see you return, i as well thought the worst. When you last posted things got really bad around Instabul. Don't hear a lot about it any more. you were on the brink of a civil war. is that still the case today?

Do you have any like minded people around you?

@fixer "brink of civil war" might have been a little too much when I said it back then. I guess, it was an extra worrisome time for me and it affected my judgement of the situation. quite a bit happened though within the month of my original post. there was a failed coup d'etat attempt and we have state of emergency ever since. life goes on somewhat normally in the most parts of turkey (except south eastern parts probably where kurds are the majority) , but there is constant tension between different sections of the society. there were general elections 10 days ago and islamists won again although they lost quite a bit of their vote. people speculate all kinds of things like the islamist ak party already armed their supporters and they would've started a civil war if they had lost the elections. To be honest I was worried too and considered going to a Greek island until the election business was settled (didn't do it though). As the islamists won they continue to operate in a rather gradual fashion for the time being.

• Like 1

@BuryTheHatchet

I think Trump confuses everyone, Turkish people (or leadership) not being the exception. It seems like even the American establishment was caught off guard and they are trying to resolve the problem he constitutes for the status quo.

12 minutes ago, tixan said:

@BuryTheHatchet

I think Trump confuses everyone, Turkish people (or leadership) not being the exception. It seems like even the American establishment was caught off guard and they are trying to resolve the problem he constitutes for the status quo.

that’s a very simple way of putting it yet on point, still your opinions and dialect surprize me as to how correct and proper you are