So a question posed to me goes something like this:

During times of impending disaster, i.e. hurricane on the Gulf Coast, people rush to the store to buy out the shelves of whatever they can get their hands on. Do you plan to do so, and if so, what sort of items are you looking to get?

As for my response and the reasoning:

Yes, I have a list, kept with cash specifically for that purpose. No, I do not plan to use it normally. My whole purpose of it, is for when I'm away from my home base, and need to hunker down for a while before I can return home.

My list is specifically not a list of items, but of needs and how to accomodate those needs:

Air- Masks, filters, bandanas

Shelter- Long sleeve shirt, jacket, pants, socks, boots, matches, bics, fire starter, camp stove/sterno

Water- Stainless Steel/Aluminum container, sawyer filter + 20 oz/1 liter soda, purification tabs

Food- Small cheap pot(2qt a biggest), salt, pepper, misc spices, cheap canned food, can opener

First Aid- Additional items as I suspect I'll need

Communications- N/a

Navigation- N/A

Consider the following thoughts...

Food: powdered milk and canned tuna. Both last a really long time. No preparation necessary except adding water to the dry milk. Another emergency food is canned dog/cat food. Plenty of protein. Stores sold out of regular food are sure to have canned pet food. Beggars can't be choosers. Canned food won't spoil if you are forced to move through the water.

Supplies: aluminum foil. You can make a solar oven. Also cook on top of foil, and it can make a liner in any old pot, pan, etc and make it safe to cook on. Works great for wrapping food for later, especially if you need to travel.

• Like 2

Supplies: aluminum foil. You can make a solar oven. Also cook on top of foil, and it can make a liner in any old pot, pan, etc and make it safe to cook on. Works great for wrapping food for later, especially if you need to travel.

And helps with the foil helmet!

• Like 1

And helps with the foil helmet!

Well....maybe for a makeshift antenna or antenna booster for the weather radio that you should have packed. Perhaps it would make a homemade mirror for flagging aircraft or rescue choppers. Put it on your head and the hands stay free.

I need to keep that in mind for my list, tho. Valid points on the various uses for aluminum foil. We used to cook MREs and other food on the engines of our vehicle using foil. Plus, for want of a means to boil water, you can make a precarious cup to put over a fire, just gotta be damned careful!

Duct tape should be on that list. Good for sealing sleeves and boot tops. Makes bite proof leggings to prevent snake bite. Useful in houses to seal doors, windows, and prevent glass shattering.

I have rolls and rolls of duct tape, helps in too many scenarios to list. I usually have at least my half-roll in my edc bag. Wouldn't kill to include it on an emergency shelter in place purchase plan.

I prefer wet ones, covers three purposes: Clean the key points, nature, and if you dry it out or keep used body cleaning ones dry - fire starting. Additionally, you can use it to fill gaps in items that rattle or make noise, as well as use it for trail marker, since rain won't make it break down immediately.

• Like 1

I prefer wet ones, covers three purposes: Clean the key points, nature, and if you dry it out or keep used body cleaning ones dry - fire starting. Additionally, you can use it to fill gaps in items that rattle or make noise, as well as use it for trail marker, since rain won't make it break down immediately.

I will go to KFC and ask them for extra wetnaps when getting food. They are small, lightweight, and free.

• Like 1

That's a good idea, @darksquire. I also pick up all the various condiments at the different restraunts I hit. Nothing helps food taste moderately better than cheap condiments!