Sign in to follow this  
News Feeds

Prepper Book Festival 12: Complete Guide to US Junk Silver Coins + Giveaway

Complete-Guide-to-US-Junk-Silver-Coins-225x300.jpg

You might think this is an unusual title for the Prepper Book Festival but given the keen interest many of you have in precious metals, I felt this book worthy of your attention.

The Complete Guide to US Junk Silver Coins by Brian Smith is a fascinating journey down the historical path of U.S. coinage. Not to be left out, it also includes a brief history of paper currency in the United States. Remember when paper currency was a “silver certificate” and not a Federal Reserve Note? Back in the day, currency was backed by silver that the US government had on deposit, dollar per dollar.

Complete-Guide-to-US-Junk-Silver-Coins.jpg

In this book you will find chapters on buying and selling junk silver as well as a chapter on ensuring you do not get ripped off during the purchase process For those of you that are from other countries, there is a chapter on Canadian coinage as well as a chapter on bouillon silver coins that are minted by many different countries around the globe. The book is very readable, and I appreciate that it is not a jumble technical jargon that takes a PhD to compehend.

Note: “Junk silver” is a term to describe U.S. dimes, quarters, half dollars and other coins that were minted in 1964 and earlier. These coins were composed of between 35% and 90% silver, while newer and current coins are composed of much cheaper base metals.

Getting back to history, the truly fascinating part of this book, for me, was the historical perspective. Although I did not always like what I was reading, it was good to finally understand how we got to where we are in terms of coinage. There is even some humor that only a prepper will appreciate. (More about that in “The Final Word”.)

Today I share an interview with Brian plus I have three copies up for grabs in a giveaway.

An Interview with Brian Smith, Author of The Complete Guide to U.S. Junk Silver Coins

Tell me about your book. What is it about?

My book,
The Complete Guide to U.S. Junk Silver Coins, 2nd Edition,
is all about junk silver coins.

“Junk silver” is a term to describe U.S. dimes, quarters, and half dollars that were minted in 1964 and earlier, as well as various other U.S. coins, because they are composed of between 35% and 90% silver, while newer and current coins are composed of the much cheaper base metals copper and nickel.

This comprehensive book covers everything you need to know about U.S. junk silver coins, from the history of how and why the Government made the switch away from silver, to the many benefits of holding junk silver today. In addition, it contains crucial information including: how wear and condition affect the silver content of coins, how to detect counterfeits, how to buy and sell junk silver coins wisely, and much, much more.

What type of research did you have to do while writing your book?

I did a lot of research, particularity for the history chapter of the book where I cover the background of how and why silver was removed from coinage in the 1960’s.

I spent a lot of time at libraries in the area looking at old newspaper articles on microfiche, and even worked with my library to borrow some microfiche from the Library of Congress. In addition, I did extensive research online and read several books on related topics.

How long did it take to write?

The first edition took a year to write, and the second edition took another year.

Every book, fiction and non-fiction, includes a message. What message do you hope my readers will take with them after reading your book?

I hope that readers of my book take away everything they need to know about all topics related to junk silver.

Additionally, I hope they learn that junk silver can be a fun and interesting investment, as well as a great way to diversify their savings and learn about the history of when the United States used to produce silver coinage.

Can you tell us a little bit more about yourself?

I work in the Information Technology field and am married with three children. When I’m not spending time with my family or writing, I love spending time outdoors.

As an author in the survival, prepping, self-sufficiency or homesteading niche, what are you personally preparing for?

I am preparing for both the good times and the bad times. I try to take a balanced approach and invest in items and skills that will help me in my day to day life, as well as an emergency situation.

What would be your first prep-step if you were just getting started?

It is easy to get started with junk silver. After reading the book, you’ll have all the information you need to know to buy it.

One of the great things about junk silver is you can get started for very little money, as a junk silver dime contains less than a tenth of an ounce of silver so they are very inexpensive. One of the best places to start is at a local coin store where you can easily buy 1964 and earlier dimes, quarters and halves. There are also many online silver dealers if you don’t have a coin store in your area.

What movie do you think gives the best portrayal of what could happen?

It’s not a movie (yet), but I loved the

Do you have plans for another book?

I love writing, and I’m sure at some point in the future I will publish more books. Right now I have a couple of book ideas that I am considering, and hopefully will start on another book project soon.

The Giveaway

Brian has reserved three copies of his book in this newest Book Festival Giveaway.

a Rafflecopter giveaway

The deadline is 6:00 PM Pacific Tuesday with the winner notified by email and announced on the Rafflecopter in the article. Please note that the winner must claim their book within 48 hours or an alternate will be selected.

Note: This giveaway is only open to individuals with a mailing address in the United States.

The Final Word

Remember I said their was a bit of humor in the book? Brian talks about silver and coin hoarding. I had no idea this had occurred but apparently there was a time in the early sixties when people started hoarding coins. This happened right about the time silver was being all but eliminated from coinage.

Brian tells the story of how Johnny Carson mentioned on his late-night TV show that there was a minor shortage of TP. The mere mention of this send hoards of people to the store to do just that, hoard TP.

Much the same thing happened with silver coins. Word spread that silver content was being eliminated and that some people were hoarding the older coins, just in case. More hoarding occurred, setting off a vicious cycle. I don’t know about the rest of it, but most preppers can relate to hoarding TP!

I really enjoyed this book and believe you will too. Good luck in the giveaway,

For more information about the books in this latest book festival, visit Prepper Book Festival #12: The Best Books to Help You Prepare, Stay Healthy and Be Happy.

Enjoy your next adventure through common sense and thoughtful preparation!

Gaye

If you enjoyed this article, consider voting for Backdoor Survival daily at Top Prepper Websites!

In addition, SUBSCRIBE to email updates and receive a free, downloadable copy of my e-book The Emergency Food Buyer’s Guide.

~~~~~~~~~

Spotlight: .The Complete Guide to US Junk Silver Coins (2nd edition)

“Junk silver” is a term to describe U.S. dimes, quarters, and half dollars that were minted in 1964 and earlier, as well as various other U.S. coins, because they are composed of between 35% and 90% silver, while newer and current coins are composed of the much cheaper base metals copper and nickel.

This comprehensive book covers everything you need to know about U.S. junk silver coins, from the history of how and why the Government made the switch away from silver, to the many benefits of holding junk silver today. In addition, you’ll learn crucial information including: how wear and condition affect the silver content of coins, how to detect counterfeits, how to buy and sell junk silver coins wisely, and much, much more.

The 2nd edition has new and updated material throughout the book, as well as several new chapters, including information on Canadian junk silver coins, and U.S. base metal coinage.

Bargain Bin: For your convenience, here is a complete list of all of the books in BDS Prepper Book Festival 12.

Survival Fiction

Non-Fiction

~~~~~~~~~~

Plus: The Preppers Guide to Food Storage

No list of books would be complete without my own book,

The Prepper’s Guide to Food Storage. The eBook is only 99 cent plus the print version is available for less than $6.00.

q?_encoding=UTF8&ASIN=1500153362&Format=_SL160_&ID=AsinImage&MarketPlace=US&ServiceVersion=20070822&WS=1&tag=continmoti-20

~~~~~~~

For over 25 years Emergency Essentials has been providing the highest quality preparedness products at great prices. Plus, each month they feature sales that quite honestly are fantastic. This month note the great sale prices on Mountain House and the gear you need to cope with any type of disaster.

EE-July-Large.jpg

~~~~~

Need something from Amazon (and who doesn’t)?

I earn a small commission from purchases made when you begin your Amazon shopping experience here. You still get great Amazon service and the price is the same, no matter what.

Amazon has a feature called Shop Amazon - Most Wished For Items. This is an easy tool for finding products that people are "wishing” for and in this way you know what the top products are. All you need to do is select the category from the left hand side of the screen.

Help support Backdoor Survival. Purchases earn a small commission and for that I thank you!

~~~~~

The post Prepper Book Festival 12: Complete Guide to US Junk Silver Coins + Giveaway by Gaye Levy first appeared on Backdoor Survival.

Continue reading...