Sign in to follow this  
News Feeds

Survival Buzz: Relieve Stress By Taking Time for a Progress Check

Relieve-Stress-By-Taking-Time-for-a-Progress-Check-225x300.jpg

Whereas I am not generally a doom and gloom person, sometimes I get both stressed and depressed over the state of the world, generally, and my country, specifically. Furthermore, as much as I do like to stay informed, there are times when what I read is all too much and I just want to go hide under a rock somewhere. The upcoming election is a good case in point. Regardless of the outcome, my belief is that uncertain times are not over and further, bad times are right around the corner.

Does this make me angry? Yes. But unlike six years ago, I am now well-prepped and know that when it comes to material things, I will weather the storm.

Relieve-Stress-By-Taking-Time-for-a-Progress-Check.jpg

Have you noticed that lately the Survival Buzz has become a discussion centering around the more psychological and mental aspects of prepping? For me, this discussion and especially what I read in the comments, becomes a personal catharsis. I say this because as well-prepped as I am, it is often the mental process of coping that gets to me. Believe it or not, I sometimes have the same doubts you do.

Will the crisis ever be over? Will I even be able to get through the day without worrying about the future? Am I safe? Are my friends and relatives going to be okay? And, finally, donning my tin-foil hat, is the government out to get me?

My goal today is to remind you that as angry, upset, disillusioned, and stressed as you may be about the state of the world, you should not become angry with life. Take some time to relieve stress by taking a progress check. Review your accomplishments and the steps you have taken to control your life and your destiny though self-reliance, independence, simplicity and a strong dose of frugality.

To get you started, here are some of my own accomplishments.

I now know that the amount of money I have only needs to equal the amount of money I need to do the things I want to do. I don’t need to work myself to death trying to reach some multi-millionaire goal just for the sake of having the money. The popular Tim Ferris book,
, describes this perfectly.

My food storage pantry is full and getting fuller with each passing month. If needed, I could go two to three years without shopping for food.

I have plenty of water in the event the public water system becomes contaminated or unavailable. I also have multiple methods for both
so that it becomes drinkable, including pool water and salt water.

My home is no longer cluttered with useless stuff although I do have boxes of old junk stored in the garage. Those are going to get picked over and recycled or dumped sooner rather than later. If you have not used something or have forgotten about it, now is the time to get rid of it! By the way, for tips on letting go of old stuff, check out the classic book,
by Peter Walsh.

My primary form of entertainment is reading, listening to audio books, watching films and TV shows streamed via
and Hulu, and taking hikes with my dog, Tucker, and husband, Shelly. I am also not embarrassed to say that I do a

I rely on essential oils for 90% of my health care concerns. OTC remedies are a thing of the past as I have learned through trial and error, how to control blood pressure, joint pain, headaches, and other maladies using oils from natures pharmacy.

Although my home is on the small side, it is both economical to live in and easy to maintain. It provides me with everything I need to do the things I want to do. That is not saying I do not want a larger home because I do. But I do not need one.

And perhaps most important, I have made it a mission to continue to take more control of my life each day, each week, each month, and each year. I do this one step at a time.

That is my list. Why not take a few moments today and come up with your own list. I guarantee the process of doing so will be calming, and that the rest of your day may be brighter as a result of this self-assessment.

No one I trust has ever said that prepping is easy 24/7. Sometimes, a lot of times, it is hard. Don’t let that stop you. And don’t let that ruin your day.

Backdoor Survival Mail Bag & Reader Tips

I have written about using essential oils to control psoriasis and have had good luck treating Shelly with the formula described in Treating Psoriasis with Essential Oils. Along those same lines, Sarah offers the following suggestion:

Been dealing with psoriasis for many, many years since I was a child. I found that like me, others have found better results with natural cures then steroid base.

What really helps me get to ‘break’ into the scales with oils is using a piece of plastic wrap on area after applying oils and lotion. I’d sleep with ace bandages on my knees and elbows to keep the plastic on longer. Until I was uncomfortable and throw them off at night, it would get into the scales and let the oils do the work it should.

Hopes this helps someone.

Loosely related to today’s Buzz, Milo shared this:

My family motivates me. I want to protect them as much as I possibly can so that we can also survive these possible horrible situations.

Although I do enjoy shiny new toys and guns…I do take prepping very seriously…it’s just part of my life and it’s important to stick with it as much as you can because no matter how well you plan and prep you still won’t be 100% ready.

I would add to the thinking outside the box and that’s to “NEVER EVER GIVE UP”….it’s just not an option….there’s too much at stake.

All I can say is “Amen” to that.

Current Backdoor Survival Giveaways

Be-Your-Own-Herbalist-Backdoor-Survival-225x300.jpg

With all giveaways, winners are notified by email and have 48 hours to claim their prize or an alternate will be selected. Once selected, the names of winners are also displayed in the Rafflecopter on the original giveaway article. This usually happens on the Friday following the end of the giveaway.

Canning With Confidence – August 9th

Sometimes silly stupid things happen. A few days ago I sent out an email and one of the links to register for this free online class did not work. If you are still trying to register, here is a link that does work! See you Tuesday.

Learn-to-Can-Register-Now.jpg

Other Announcements

The site re-vamp is now in the hands of the designer. The final layout has been something I have been working on for a couple of months with the goal of speeding things up for faster load times.

I also have some back end domain changes going on as I switch registrars. This most likely will be seamless but there may be three of four hours when access to the site it goofy. In addition, there may be some delays in emails reaching my inbox. None of this should become a huge disruption but I thought I should mention it none the less.

The Final Word

If you have ever had someone close to you get very sick and possibly die, then you know how precious life can be. Every day counts. That is why I so strongly advocate getting outdoors to enjoy the fresh air, finding some glory in a beautiful sunset, and enjoying some quiet time on a leisurely walk.

You fill in the blanks. Life can be so much more beautiful when you take time for personal peace and simplicity. I, for one, need to do more of that, and, believe it or not, writing helps.

Although you will have to trust me with this, I truly believe you can relieve stress by taking time for a project check. Couple that with knowing that “done” is better than “perfect” and you should be good to go! And that, for now, is all I am going to say about that.

Enjoy your next adventure through common sense and thoughtful preparation!

Gaye

If you enjoyed this article, consider subscribing to email updates. When you do, you will receive a free, downloadable copy of my e-Book, The Emergency Food Buyer’s Guide.

Emergency-Food-Buyers-Guide-2016-02-26r-250x250.jpg

You can also vote for Backdoor Survival daily at Top Prepper Websites!

Related Articles:

Bargain Bin: Have you ever wondered what preps I value the most? There are way too many to list so those I have listed below are a sampling of items I use all of the time and not simply tucked away for emergencies.

Note: As I was going around the house looking for things to add to this list, I had to stop. There are simply too many items so I will reserve the rest for another time.

UltraFire Mini Cree LED Flashlightir?t=bds2016-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B006E0QAFY: I personally keep flashlights in every single room of my house and you should too. At the time of this writing, these flashlights are $3.20 with free shipping. Or you can purchase 4 for $13.99. These favorites are super mini sized, bright and waterproof. Plus, they use a single, standard AA sized battery.

10790014915_ede2543e1c_m.jpg Green-Mini-Cree-250.jpg

Berkey Water Filter System: For in home use, nothing beats the Berkey. My own Royal Berkey represents a key component of my water preps. The Berkey system removes pathogenic bacteria, cysts and parasites entirely and extracts harmful chemicals such as herbicides, pesticides, VOCs, organic solvents, radon 222 and trihalomethanes. It also reduces nitrates, nitrites and unhealthy minerals such as lead and mercury. This system is so powerful it can remove red food coloring from water without removing the beneficial minerals your body needs. Virtually no other system can duplicate this performance.

NALGENE BPA-Free Water Bottle: These water bottles have served me well. I fill them up with water from my Royal Berkey and keep one bedside, one at my desk and another in the bathroom. Keep in mind that price-wise, some colors will be more expensive so if color does not matter, go with the cheapest (currently the green version).

RAVPower 15W Solar Charger with Dual USB Ports: This compact, three panel, solar charger will charge two devices at once, including tablets, smartphones, Kindles, and even AA/AAA battery chargers. Value priced at about $50. For more information, read: Gear Review: RAVPower 15W Solar Charger with Dual USB Ports.

First Aid Ammo Kit: Okay, this is an article and not one single item but I use my first aid kit at least once a week.

Panasonic eneloop AA New 2100 Cycle Ni-MH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries: These days, I try to use eneloops as much as possible. They hold a charge forever – or so it seems – and work well in flashlights and small electronics. Note: I also use the Amazon Basics brand and will purchase those if the price is less. I have done a lot of reading and to the best of my knowledge, they are an eneloop twin, branded by Amazon.

Emergency-Blanket-Gaye.jpg

Grabber Outdoors Original Space Brand All Weather Blanketir?t=bds2016-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B002CQUA28: I was interested in a re-usable emergency blanket so I purchased one of these based upon the excellent reviews. This space blanket is definitely “heavy duty” compared to the cheapies (not that they don’t have their place because they do).

8521980999_f962586fa2_n.jpg

Maximal Power FC999 Universal Battery Charger: This nicely built charger will charge charge AA, AAA, C, D, N, 9V, Ni-MH, Ni-CD, and Alkaline batteries. It has an LED display so that when you first put a battery in the charging bay, you know whether it is viable for charging or simply bad and ready to go back to the recycle box.

Battery-Tester-BT-250.jpg

Amprobe BAT-250 Battery Testerir?t=continmoti-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B00OCBSASM: I do not know anyone that is sorry they purchased or gifted an inexpensive battery tester. Mine sits in my desk drawer and is used 3 or 4 times a week. This newer version is an upgrade from the BAT-200 and well worth the additional dollar in cost. I especially like the redesigned side cradle that holds batteries securely in place during testing – no more erratic battery readings from movement off contacts.

Morakniv Craftline Q Allround Fixed Blade Utility Knifeir?t=bds2016-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B004GAVOUU: ANOTHER FAVORITE! Also known as the Mora 511, this is now my favorite knife. It is made of Swedish steel and is super sharp. Many Backdoor Survival have emailed me indicating this is now their favorite knife too.

~~~~~~~

For over 25 years Emergency Essentials has been providing the highest quality preparedness products at great prices. Plus, each month they feature sales that quite honestly are fantastic. One of my favorite sale items this month is this Mobile Washer (Hand Operated Washing Machine)show?id=9PGNDhpmhqI&bids=417574.10001422&type=3&subid=0.

Mobile-Washer.jpg

This is hand operated washing machine. Like a plunger, it uses a technique of pushing and pulling the water through clothes to clean them well without wearing them out. It uses a minimum of water and less soap due to the agitation motion. Use in a bucket (5-gallon suggested), sink or tub.

~~~~~

Need something from Amazon (and who doesn’t)?

I earn a small commission from purchases made when you begin your Amazon shopping experience here. You still get great Amazon service and the price is the same, no matter what.

Amazon has a feature called Shop Amazon - Most Wished For Items. This is an easy tool for finding products that people are "wishing” for and in this way you know what the top products are. All you need to do is select the category from the left hand side of the screen.

Help support Backdoor Survival. Purchases earn a small commission and for that I thank you!

~~~~~

Which are the best oils for your survival kit? This article describes my top picks.

9-Best-Essential-Oils-for-Your-Survival-Kit-400x267.jpg

The post Survival Buzz: Relieve Stress By Taking Time for a Progress Check by Gaye Levy first appeared on Backdoor Survival.

Continue reading...