Erik Hanson

What does it mean to be free?

Most people in the liberty movement will answer that it means to "be able to do what you want as long as it doesn't restrict the rights and property of others." Well, ok, but as a social creature just about everything we do has some affect on others. So how do we defend freedom in the "Land of the Free", when so many people feel affected by the actions of others in their society. Who judges what actions have real affect on others?

If we are to retain any sense of freedom in our nation, we must be able to clearly define what we mean by that. Our language is under attack and meaning is being lost and muddled. Words are becoming as relative as most of our morals. So, what does it mean to you to be free?

• Like 1

I think most of the judging of what affects others would be a LOT of common sense. Of course you have the cry baby hanky stomping suckers that don't the know the first thing about freedom. It's what they FEEL, how they FEEL, and any

little thing that happens anymore makes them go into a fit. The way i see it is a lot of people in this country have to grow some major cajones big time. Get over what other people think. If it dosen' t physically hurt them then it should be fine.

If it dosen't physically take something from them then that should be fine. TOO many rules. TOO many laws. TOO many cry baby liberals.

Freedom is an abstract thought that has been discussed and bandied about by philosophers for ages. In my opinion, Freedom is an oxymoronic ideal. Freedom is anarchy. What we consider free is paid for with responsibilities. The concept of civic duty identifies how our Rights (as outlined in the Bill of Rights) are paid for. It still isn't true Freedom, just merely Rights. No definition of Freedom will be universal, ever. Freedom to choose, freedom to believe, freedom to think, these are freedoms, in a sense of the idea, but are they the sole definition of Freedom? I don't think so. There will always be those who feel their freedom involves removing the freedom of others. Its alright to worship as you choose, as long as it doesn't offend me. Being anything but Christian in much of the movement is grounds to be cast out and ostracized. As with the ideals put forth by the Lightfoot Militia, its okay to be anything but Male and Christian, as long as you abide by their Male Christian ideals. This certainly seems to me to be wrong. Like saying you're free choose, as long as your choice is in line with my choice. That isn't freedom.

Good response. Freedom is a powerful ideal. Everyone desires freedom, but they also need security. Ben Franklin has a famous quote relating to this. Pure freedom is total anarchy. Anarchy allows the people with the most power to force their will over the powerless. Immediately, you have new government as those who have grabbed power now need to enforce and secure it. We saw this in the fall of the Soviet Union. In the immediate aftermath of the collapse of the Communist government, the mafias took over. The people did not want to have to feed from the hands of the mob, so they turned back to the very powers they overthrew. They former communists were basically back in power with just a new name. So, now the Russian people have rebuilt the very government they fought to get rid of. All in the name of freedom. So again, where can we find freedom?