Sign in to follow this  
News Feeds

On sounding presidential

Some people who previously loved Trump don’t even like him today because they thought he sounded a little wishy-washy when delivering his 10-point solution to our immigration problem.

I, on the other hand, thought he sounded great. Perhaps that’s because I never put any stock in his promise to deport 11 million or perhaps 22 million people. Frankly, I don’t know if he was ever serious about it. I don’t even care. As I saw it, you can’t just round up people, stick them on a bus and drive them south. There have to be hearings to determine their status. Have you any idea how long that process would take? I’ll tell you how long. Try to remember the last time you had to renew your driver’s license and then multiply that by 11 or 22 million!

In fact, one of the things I liked best about Trump’s address is that for the longest time, I was the only person I knew questioning that magic number. It was probably 20 years ago that I first heard about 11 million people living in the shadows. Were we supposed to believe that nobody else had sneaked across the border during the next two decades? Besides, if they were all hiding in the shadows, who the heck was counting noses?

I’ll share another blasphemy with you. I don’t even care if Mexico pays for the wall. With all the money we presently waste on welfare, schools and incarceration, for illegal aliens and others, if we cut off the tap, as Trump has vowed to do, we’ll have plenty of money for construction projects. At least that will be the case so long as Trump is able to carry through on his promise to get them off the dole and get the criminal class out of the country or into prison once and for all.

Still, I would like to see Mexico have to pay. And the easiest way I can see to get it done is to deduct it from the money we insist on paying them annually in foreign aid. At times, when I see how much dough our government tosses around to other countries for no good reason, I picture America – we with our $20 trillion national debt – as one big, very drunk, sailor, buying drinks for the house. And then, for good measure, buying the house and letting strangers live in it.

I also liked Trump’s promise to imprison those who refuse to stay deported. I also gave him a sitting ovation when he vowed to cut off federal funding to sanctuary cities. Take that, San Francisco, with all your self-righteous freaks!

Experience more of Burt Prelutsky’s humor and wit in his books — at WND’s Superstore.

The man even spoke about cleaning up the visa mess, something other politicians don’t even whisper about, even though it’s estimated that 40 percent of the schmucks who are here illegally simply flew in and never flew out.

If Trump didn’t sound presidential to some people, I suspect that’s only because after two Bushes, Clinton and Obama, we have become accustomed to our presidents sounding mealy-mouthed, as they spouted their platitudes and insisted time and again that our existential enemies were followers of a wonderful religion and that, for good measure, we must take to heart the outrageous grievances of urban blacks and foreign trespassers.

When Trump went south to meet with President Enrique Pena Nieto, Nieto insisted that Mexico and Mexicans respected the law. That hardly jibes with millions of them sneaking into another country, too often transporting illegal drugs and weapons. But I suppose leaders of Third World nations always have to put up a good front.

I certainly found Nieto’s fibs easier to take than those of his predecessor, Vicente Fox, who, famously and fatuously, compared a wall at our southern border to the one Khrushchev had erected in post-war Germany. Nobody ever accused Senor Fox of being an intellectual heavyweight, but I would have thought that even he would have been able to spot the difference between a wall built to keep people in from one built to keep people out. But on the chance that Fox is as stupid as he was corrupt, someone should tell him it’s the same difference as the one between the wall around his house and the one around Leavenworth.

Then, of course, there is the little matter of hypocrisy. I understand that nobody really expects politicians in any country to be known for the purity of their character, but when the folks in Mexico carry on as if a wall between neighboring nations constitutes something akin to an armed invasion, they’d at least consider removing the one they have at their own southern border, which is defended by federales armed with machine guns.

Polls indicate that 40 percent of Americans don’t believe that either Trump or Clinton is honest and trustworthy. Oddly enough, I suspect that fewer than 40 percent of Americans are honest and trustworthy.

I know that this will fall on deaf ears in certain quarters, but as we get closer to Election Day, could we all agree to discourage stupid, disinterested people from getting out there and voting?

Every four years, these lunkheads are urged to do their patriotic duty and are reminded that others fought and died for their right to vote. For one thing, the right to vote also means the right not to vote. It’s only in dictatorships where people are punished for not voting in sham elections for someone like Josef Stalin or Fidel Castro.

The truth is, if people are too dumb or too lazy for three years, 364 days to pay attention to the issues, it’s irresponsible to try to get them off their duffs and into a voting booth. You can rest assured that on that all-important 365th day, those lunkheads will inevitably wind up voting for Democrats.

For sheer chutzpah, it would be tough to beat Hillary Clinton rebuking Donald Trump for saying that America is not an exceptional country – something, I confess, I never heard him say. In fact, the only American political figure I have ever heard utter those particular words was Mrs. Clinton’s partner-in-crime, Barack Hussein Obama.

Media wishing to interview Burt Prelutsky, please contact media@wnd.com.

Receive Burt Prelutsky's commentaries in your email

BONUS: By signing up for Burt Prelutsky's alerts, you will also be signed up for news and special offers from WND via email.

• Name*
    First Last
  • Email*
    Where we will email your daily updates
  • Postal code*
    A valid zip code or postal code is required

Click the button below to sign up for Burt Prelutsky's commentaries by email, and keep up to date with special offers from WND. You may change your email preferences at any time.

Continue reading...