Sign in to follow this  
News Feeds

Hillary Considered Tim Cook, Bill Gates, Mary Barra, Mike Bloomberg For Vice President,...

Among the Podesta emails released today, one of the more interesting disclosures comes from a March 17 email from John Podesta to hdr29@hrcoffice.com, aka Hillary Clinton, which laid out a list of potential Vice Presidential nominees for Hillary. The list of 39 names, "organized in rough food groups,” with regard to their gender, race or career; includes some interesting names:

• Business executives incl. Mary Barra; Michael Bloomberg; Ursula Burns; Tim Cook; Bill Gates; Melinda Gates; Muhtar Kent; Judith Rodin; Howard Schultz
  • Sen. Bernie Sanders was in his own grouping; also listed military leaders, black elected and appointed officials, Latino officials, white male senators, female senators incl. Elizabeth Warren
  • Former military leaders John Allen; Bill McCraven; Mike Mullen

The full email is below:

To:

Date: 2016-03-17 17:21

Subject:

Ok, I can breathe again! Congrats on a fabulous night.

I am feeling like it's possible to get back to the longer term again.

Cheryl and I met with Jim Hamilton on Friday to discuss lawyers who can help do the research and vetting that I outlined in the VP vet memo we discussed
. We also met with Marc Elias to get his input on firms that have already provided substantial volunteer lawyer assistance and to get prepared to execute non-disclosure agreements with anyone we involve in the process.

We put together the attached notional teams of “report writers” (confidential profiles/public record vet) and “vettors” (deep-dive/oppo-book), and want to run it by you before we execute on the list. Let me know if there are people you would like to see added or removed before we begin the process.

Cheryl, Robby, Jake, Huma, Jennifer and I also did a first cut of people to consider for VP. I have organized names in rough food groups.

Javier Becerra

Julian Castro

Eric Garcetti

Tom Perez

Ken Salazar

Tammy Baldwin

Kirsten Gillibrand

Amy Klobuchar

Claire McKaskill

Jeanne Shaheen

Debbie Stabenow

Elizabeth Warren