Sign in to follow this  
News Feeds

'The Supreme Court is what it's all about'

supreme-court-600-tw.jpg

The U.S. Supreme Court

“Do the Founders’ words mean what they say or is it a living document to be applied flexibly according to changing circumstances?”

Moderator Chris Wallace presented a stark choice on the Constitution to Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump. And as Donald Trump put it, “The Supreme Court, it’s what it’s all about.”

In a low-key opening to the third presidential debate, Hillary Clinton stated the Supreme Court should “stand on the side of the American people, not on the side of the powerful corporations and the wealthy.”

She declared her opposition to Citizens United, which allowed nonprofit corporations to make unlimited expenditures for political causes. A restrained Donald Trump missed the opportunity to criticize Clinton as the tool of corporate interests, a regular theme of his stump speeches in which he rails against what he calls the “Rigged System.”

“I feel that at this point in our country’s history, it is important that we not reverse marriage equality, that we not reverse Roe v. Wade, that we stand up against Citizens United, we stand up for the rights of people in the workplace, that we stand up and basically say the Supreme Court should represent all of us,” said Clinton.

“That’s how I see the court and the kind of people that I would be looking to nominate to the court would be in the great tradition of standing up to the powerful, standing up on behalf of our rights as Americans, and I look forward to having that opportunity.”

Sign the precedent-setting petition supporting Trump’s call for an independent prosecutor to investigate Hillary Clinton!

Pollster Frank Luntz reported his focus group approved of Clinton’s attempts to frame herself as a guardian of the underprivileged.

Hillary Clinton’s “stand up for America” SCOTUS opening resounded with undecided voters.

— Frank Luntz (@FrankLuntz)

Clinton vowed she respected the Second Amendment and acknowledged an individual right to bear arms. However, she said that was not in conflict with “sensible, common-sense regulation,” and condemned Trump for being supported by the National Rifle Association.

See the exchange:

Trump responded by pointing out the record levels of violence in Chicago, a city he said has the “toughest laws” and yet suffered from “tremendous gun violence.”

In a characteristic Trump move, he also refused to back away or disavow the NRA.

“I am a very strong supporter of the Second Amendment,” he said. “And I don’t know if Hillary was saying it in a sarcastic manner but I’m very proud to have the endorsement of the NRA. It’s the earliest endorsement they’ve ever given to anybody who ran for president. I’m very honored by all of that.”

In other comments which will cheer conservatives, many of whom have been suspicious of Trump’s credentials, the Republican nominee explicitly vowed to nominate justices which would overturn Roe v. Wade.

“If we put another two or perhaps three justices on, that will happen,” Trump promised. “And that will happen automatically in my opinion because I’m putting pro-life justices on the court.”

Trump also aggressively attacked Clinton for her extreme stance on partial birth abortion.

“I think it’s terrible if you go with what Hillary is saying, in the ninth month you can take the baby and rip the baby out of the womb of the mother just prior to the birth of the baby,” Trump said.

“Now, you can say that that’s okay, and Hillary can say that that’s okay, but it’s not okay with me. Because based on what she’s saying and based on where she’s going and where she’s been, you can take the baby and rip the baby out of the womb in the ninth month, on the final day. And that’s not acceptable.”

In response, Clinton called Trump’s comments “scare rhetoric” and called on him to meet with women. However, she did not deny her support for partial birth abortion.

Sign the precedent-setting petition supporting Trump’s call for an independent prosecutor to investigate Hillary Clinton!

Continue reading...