Sign in to follow this  
News Feeds

Columbine story 'antidote' to 'Natural Born Killers'

Columbine.jpg

Columbine

By Alex Murashko

Film industry newcomer and producer Chuck Howard hopes that his movie, “I’m Not Ashamed,” the story of the first victim shot and killed during the Columbine High School massacre, will serve as an antidote to Oliver Stone’s 1994 “Natural Born Killers,” a fictional tale of two “celebrity” mass murderers.

While skeptics and atheists have questioned whether Rachel Joy Scott really died as a Christian martyr as portrayed in “I’m Not Ashamed,” which opened nationwide this weekend, supporters of the movie and its premise stand firm on the film’s message of hope.

Howard wrote in a recent op-ed published at Breitbart that he wants to produce movies that will “inspire young people to have love and compassion for one another, not hatred and anger as so many films I’ve seen have done.”

He was shocked to discover that Columbine killers Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold desired to emulate the carnage displayed in “Natural Born Killers.”

See what American education has become, in “Crimes of the Educators: How Utopians Are Using Government Schools to Destroy America’s Children.”

Howard writes, “You can imagine my surprise when I set out to tell the story of Rachel Joy Scott, the sweet teenage girl who was killed at Columbine High School in 1999, and learned this fascinating fact when we researched videos and journals made by the two young men who killed thirteen precious lives: the killers bragged about their desire to ‘go NBK,’ and even referred to the tragic day as ‘the holy morning of NBK.’

“‘NBK?’ That would be Natural Born Killers … It’s supposed to be a satire, but if that was the case, I don’t think Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris got the point. To them, it wasn’t satire, but a roadmap.”

Howard believes the film’s producers showed an “appalling” lack of responsibility in the making of the movie.

He added that despite Stone’s claim that his movie is “ultimately a very optimistic film about the future,” and, “It’s about freedom, and the ability of every human being to get it,” others like himself had a very grim view.

Howard quoted John Grisham from his 1996 essay in the Oxford American, titled “Unnatural Killers,” on this: “Oliver Stone is saying that murder is cool and fun, murder is a high, a rush, murder is a drug to be used at will. The more you kill, the cooler you are.”

Howard states that Grisham acknowledges that Stone intended the movie to be a satire, “but it cannot be, he argues, because ‘a satire is supposed to make fun of whatever it is attacking.'”

Scott’s mother, Beth Nimmo, recently told WND. that the country’s youth is being “entertained by violence which is a sad reflection to start with because there is nothing entertaining about violence.”

“This generation of kids have been raised on entertainment that’s violent,” Nimmo said. “It’s glorified in so many ways. I think it has been a disservice to our children because real violence has real consequences. People that have experienced real violence know the pain and the loss and know how hard it is to recover from that. Some people don’t recover.”

Howard said he is thankful for “men with common sense like Grisham,” but adds, “I’m afraid they are vastly outnumbered by the likes of Stone and others who participated in the film, whom millions of Americans like me believe bear some responsibility for what happened by the careless way in which they made ‘Natural Born Killers’ and other films.”

He adds in his column: “In the meantime, the rest of us have the short time we’ve been given to do good in the midst of evil. And in my case, it has been my task to make a movie about a genuine American hero – not an astronaut who stretched boundaries or a president who did great things, but a young girl who courageously stared evil in the face and refused to let her killer take from her the thing she cherished most: her faith in God.”

The trailer:

Here are two additional clips:

See what American education has become, in “Crimes of the Educators: How Utopians Are Using Government Schools to Destroy America’s Children.”

Continue reading...