Quietsurvivalist

The Importance of Standards in a Group

This post is different because I really don’t care what you decide to use for group equipment or levels of Physical Fitness. What I do want to talk about are the reasons I and those who are around me decided to have high expectations of ourselves and our equipment.

Standards

Standards are important not just from a perspective of ” This Gear is Best” but also as a determination of effort.

How committed is someone to the group?

Can this person be disciplined to exercise on a schedule and maintain a level of endurance so they are not a burden?

Can their family do the same?

How much effort are they willing to put forth to benefit all in both time and money?

Read more here http://quietsurvivalist.com/importance-standards-group/

• Like 2

I'd push this further and state standards for training and performance must be established and adhered to. If a person has 3k worth of rifle and can't hit the side of a barn with it they really aren't bringing anything to the table. Likewise that 75 lb. ruck is worthless if you can't carry it more than 100 yards. So gassed you can't fight after sprinting 100 yards? etc...

The great part about firearms.. You don't need to be a rock hard spartan to be an effective fighter. I am not saying being in shape won't help, but not all battles will be conventional warfare.

• Like 1

The great part about firearms.. You don't need to be a rock hard spartan to be an effective fighter. I am not saying being in shape won't help, but not all battles will be conventional warfare.

If you find yourself in a conventional fight then you're doing it wrong. Unconventional warfare relies heavily on both the endurance and speed aspects of mobility and that requires a level of fitness beyond what the median adult in America has now. A good decent level of physical fitness improves your resistance to environmental stressors, helps you to endure lack of nutrition, increases your resistance to illnesses, and even benefits recovering from wounds. Bottom line: Stronger people are harder to kill and are a greater asset to their team.

This goes back to standards. If someone is physically disabled and can't sprint 100 yards and engage targets then they shouldn't be trying to, there's plenty of other things for them to do to contribute. PT costs nothing but time and effort. Does a person that is physically able to workout but fails to meet any standard? In my book absolutely not.

• Like 3

I can mostly agree to that. I wasn't thinking the extreme of physically disabled, but i can think of jobs that a physically disabled person can perform to add value to a group. Who speaks another language? Who trains in hand to hand combat? During the Rodney King riots in L.A. it was about communities protecting itself when the police couldn't. any one that can hold a gun up adds value there. Standards are good and fine. I just don't think people should be rejected from militia if they can't do 200 pushups and run the mile in under 7 minutes. People are a resource.

I was a mover for 10 years, i have lost some endurance in the last couple years. I would like to get the combat vest out and do some hiking/jogging. Put things in perspective for the fight. Not sure where i can do that without drawing the wrong kind of attention.

• Like 1

Just get a plate carrier and a backpack, add a few pounds. Not really gonna stand out.

Here in my area, I can walk down the highway with a shotgun and no one says squat.

• Like 3

I can mostly agree to that. I wasn't thinking the extreme of physically disabled, but i can think of jobs that a physically disabled person can perform to add value to a group. Who speaks another language? Who trains in hand to hand combat? During the Rodney King riots in L.A. it was about communities protecting itself when the police couldn't. any one that can hold a gun up adds value there. Standards are good and fine. I just don't think people should be rejected from militia if they can't do 200 pushups and run the mile in under 7 minutes. People are a resource.

I was a mover for 10 years, i have lost some endurance in the last couple years. I would like to get the combat vest out and do some hiking/jogging. Put things in perspective for the fight. Not sure where i can do that without drawing the wrong kind of attention.

Different jobs require different skills, logistics are just as important as the grunts and provides a place for the folks who for whatever reason are not in there peak condition. Unfit people in a fighting unit are a liability and put everyone at risk. As for not drawing unwanted attention but wanting to condition yourself, most stores with a sporting goods department sell weighted vest... Or you could pull a sweatshirt over your plate carrier. Also with the rise in popularity of events like goruck you would not look unusual Hiking down the road with a weighted pack.... just my 2 cents.

• Like 2

IMHO there are three critical task areas that can be done even by some that are really disabled:

- Signal support (especially SIGINT)

- Intelligence functions

- Logistics functions

Without these capabilities you risk being blind, deaf, and starving. Even the greatest gaggle of shooters in the world are going to be greatly impacted without support. These functions are serious combat multipliers. Things like knowing the threat's 5 Ws, being able to communicate in real time vs. courier, and being able to maintain an adequate load of 3Fs keeps you functional.

• Like 2

Different jobs require different skills, logistics are just as important as the grunts and provides a place for the folks who for whatever reason are not in there peak condition. Unfit people in a fighting unit are a liability and put everyone at risk. As for not drawing unwanted attention but wanting to condition yourself, most stores with a sporting goods department sell weighted vest... Or you could pull a sweatshirt over your plate carrier. Also with the rise in popularity of events like goruck you would not look unusual Hiking down the road with a weighted pack.... just my 2 cents.

Thanks!! :)

• Like 1

Guy seemed like a name brand only.   I don't buy colt because well why 6x more for the same ar15.  

I get it but he he must be daddy war bucks.    

Megatron

Apparently you don't get it

Colt, like a very few others guarantees their bolts for 10,000 rounds. The TDP they build rifles too doesn't change from the Mil side to the Civ side. DD and Bravo also publish their data and ordering specs. 

Knights doesn't but they spec their bolts out with MPI and alloys %100 

So the parts gun you bought from ruger, sig or dpms, is exactly that. Just a conglomeration of parts below spec and tho you worship at the shrine of " ITS MIL SPEC" , all mil spec means is it fits.

That's it, you buy shit, shit is what you have. It doesn't majically get better the longer it sits in the corner. Its your life and if your group allows it, its theirs too

Yeah colts bankruptcy must hold great value to you. 

The shit rifles we built from parts have been rode hard during training and sure mostly the failure is from shooting poly wolf after 500 rounds withot cleaning.  

The precious colt rifles are just that a outdated name that adds some insane value to it.

If you can afford to throw away money so be it.  Not all of us have a daddy war bucks fronting us.  If you wanted to argue optics then sure you get what you pay for.

• Haha 1

Take a good look at what that cheap ammo is doing to your throats after 500 rounds, use a scope 

There are reasons for standards, and cheap at the front end does NOT save you money at the back end.  I try to inform the majority but theres always one who races to the bottom and then wants someone to agree they spent their money well.

Typical of online, you buy and then look to have your purchase justified when you aren't sure if you did it right

Not my problem, but don't find fault with me when I know buy once, and do it right the first time. I just bought a 6920MP for $650 because some moron installed the rear sight backwards and couldn't zero it. 

Bet that's about what you have in 1 of your parts guns

• Haha 1

The TDP is what matters, not the name. 

You are just like a liberal, as soon as your argument runs out of facts you switch to emotional retorts and next thing is the race card.

I'm waiting

• Haha 1

Oh good did I upset the all knowing 1911 carrying lone wolf.  

It' pretty easy right now to build a ar15 that shoots less than 2 moa for 450 dollars.  Yeah the throats fine I had the rifle inspected and I know it's rough for you but a new barrel and swapping it out is less than 30 mins of work and 150 or less bucks after 10k rounds.   

Seriously the tight wads like you drive people away.  

I'll take 10 people with a 10 mosin nagant over 10 people saving for a colt unarmed 

• Like 2

Hey back up really quick because this is a good debate not argument what do you mean though about cheap ammo because it's all designed so the bullet goes down the barrel the same the rifling twisted the bullet for the most part the same just faster or slower more or less and the S w mp 15 cheap works great i would suggest changing the bolt and barrel and sear.or a db rifle is cheap and perfect.

1 minute ago, Ripcannon said:

Hey back up really quick because this is a good debate not argument what do you mean though about cheap ammo because it's all designed so the bullet goes down the barrel the same the rifling twisted the bullet for the most part the same just faster or slower more or less and the S w mp 15 cheap works great i would suggest changing the bolt and barrel and sear.or a db rifle is cheap and perfect.

For training I tend to use poly wolf.   500 for 100 bucks is hard to pass up.  It shoots about 1 to 2 moa .  I don't use tula because the loads are not consistent.   

It' a little harder on the throat but it's rather minimal.  The cost savings I'll just buy a spare barrel 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm dbag about ammo when I train....because the old saying train with what you use and it's a mix between liberty ammo and critical defense i call it liberty defense but I pretty much run fun time on good old federal ammo.but to each there own right i prefer one old guy with a colt fool of lapua ammo then a commie with a ak full of empty brass.

Edited by Ripcannon

No actually the cheap Russian ammo is not the same

There was a study published a year or so ago, I glossed over it but it basically came down to the steel or copper washed cases, the powder and the bullet combination caused throat erosion 10x faster than US or Nato spec ammo

Google it, 

Throat erosion is a huge contributor to accuracy, if your rifle standard is 2 moa, its an exponential problem getting worse with every magazine full you shoot

Didn't matter the barrel, or bolt though a bolt failure every 1000 rds or so doesn't thrill me at all.

I refuse to shoot belted magnums for the same reason, throat erosion creates a necessity of pulling the barrel and cutting the chamber end off, rechambering every 1000-1200 rounds. The expense of that is more than the rifle cost if you are using a reputable smith

If 2 moa is good for you, if replacing a barrel when your throat burns out is your solution with another cheap barrel you go for it.