Sign in to follow this  
Quietsurvivalist

Quiet Survivalist goes to DM AFB

I recently returned for Davis Monthan Air force base in Tucson Az. I was invited by some long time friends and I finally came up for air long enough to drive up and have a tour of the training facility.

This is where the A-10 is trained up. The pilots go to a separate facility, the people who keep them running and flying are trained here.

And it is a seriously cool operation.

First off the A-10

Image result for a-10 free pictures

It is a very functional aircraft, and I’m not going to go into much for the review of the aircraft because they wouldn’t let me take it for a test drive.

Can you believe that?

But the boys at the training squadron gave me a good look at everything, and they let me take pictures out the hangar door to the active flight line.

Which was pretty cool.

IMG_0517.jpg?resize=300%2C200  IMG_0516.jpg?resize=300%2C200

They also let me crawl up into the cockpit, which I managed to do without falling and letting the Army side down.

IMG_0504.jpg?resize=300%2C200

IMG_0505.jpg?resize=300%2C200Adult supervision , always a good idea when an EOD tech (me) is aroundIMG_0503.jpg?resize=300%2C200Obligatory top gun thumbs up picIMG_1359.jpg?resize=300%2C225view of the cockpit inside

I’m 5’10, 200 lbs ish. This cockpit is not a spacious and comfortable place.

And there will be no ” feel free to move about the cabin” either.

And these guys spent 24+ hours in these shuttling them to the Gulf.

My back started to ache after 15 minutes. Gotta hand it to the kids flying these.

IMG_0510.jpg?resize=300%2C200

IMG_0511.jpg?resize=300%2C200IMG_0514-e1522532302816-200x300.jpg?resiIMG_0513.jpg?resize=300%2C200

I even got a really cool coin to add to my collection

IMG_1366.jpg?resize=300%2C225

It was a good day getting to see this airplane from the view of the Ordnance guys who train and load it

The post Quiet Survivalist goes to DM AFB appeared first on The Quiet Survivalist.

View the full article