Tactical-Life

HR 5490: House Dem Bill Calls for Handgun License in Every State

HR 5490 handgun license bill background check form HR 5490 handgun license bill elizabeth esty HR 5490 handgun license bill gun shop

A group of House Democrats have introduced a new bill calling for a handgun license for buyers across all 50 states.

Background

Sponsored by Rep. Elizabeth Esty (D-Conn.), Rep. Robin Kelly (D-Ill.) and Rep. Alma Adams (D-N.C.), HR 5490—otherwise known as the “Handgun Purchaser Licensing Act”—is framed as a means of reducing firearm homicide rates nationally.

“In 2013, more than 33,000 Americans were killed by guns and almost 90 percent of the firearms used in these deaths were handguns,” the legislation says, adding that in Missouri and Connecticut, “Missouri’s repeal of its handgun purchaser licensing law led to a 25-percent increase in firearm homicide rates while Connecticut’s adoption of its handgun purchaser licensing law led to a 40-percent decrease in firearm homicide rates.”

The measure also says that in states that have had handgun license laws like Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and New York, “the vast majority of guns traced to crimes originated in other States, which supports the need for handgun purchaser licensing laws in every State.”

HR 5490 Handgun License Bill Specifics

HR 5490 calls for federal grants to be given to state, local and tribal governments. The governments would then develop and implement a handgun license scheme. To qualify, a state must have a law requiring that a handgun license applicant be at least 21. Furthermore, applicants would have to apply through enforcement agency. In addition, all applicants would be required to supply fingerprints and photographs, as well as pass a “background investigation” and a “criminal history check.”

Under HR 5490, a handgun license would be good for five years. After that, a person would have to go through the process all over again.

In addition, the measure is backed by numerous gun control organizations. The groups include the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence; Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence; CT Against Gun Violence and the Newtown Action Alliance.

“Research shows that permit to purchase laws are effective and prevent guns from getting into the hands of dangerous individuals. In my home state of Connecticut, permit to purchase laws worked to reduce firearm homicides by 40 percent. The Handgun Purchaser Licensing Act is one step forward we can take to make our communities safer while respecting the rights of law-abiding gun owners,” Esty said.

The Handgun Purchaser Licensing Act has been referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary.

The post HR 5490: House Dem Bill Calls for Handgun License in Every State appeared first on Tactical Life Gun Magazine: Gun News and Gun Reviews.

View the full article

1 hour ago, Ripcannon said:

Guess who ain't follow that unlawful law of its passed.

Well if you get pulled over with a handgun they arrest you is my guess. 

Posted (edited)

Yup I'd figure but I'll fight it maybe loose and go to jail idk I'm not follow them unlawful laws you can not me.hell then ill be a felon and when I get out im  still gonna have a gun and if I get pulled over again with it I'll be a felon with a firearm witch is illegal and so on and so forth I'd imagine if you want a complete play by play there you go.

Edited by Ripcannon
  • Like 1

Why be so negative Megatron  nobody wants to go to jail but in this case there to ways to go about it lay down n take it or resist and slap your state and the Fed gov with a lawsuit and try and fix it.

Dude I showed you the article it's being handled already most the citizens guns never were confiscated the nra is helping the people of Deerfield with there already ongoing lawsuit and civil suit what should I head there for I'm all the way in pa were we elect and show up to the capitol and townhalls we know what's going on here if they woulda stood up for themselves from the beginning and did any of what we do here it would have never happened.

• Like 1

You wanna meet some real patriots go down to your recruiters office and look at a marine or a sailor there's your patriots come on down to my town here in pa i will introduce you to some of you want friend.hey or do what I do and hit the vfw that's a good place to meet some real patriots you don't have to be military to be a patriot i know a lot of just hard working Americans that help each other out and there communitys see being a patriot doesn't mean always trying to pick a fight it's more along the line of Love thy neighbor.

• Like 1

The Deerfield act is legal and I would never trust the nra. 

Yeah I get but patriots are very few these days most are rather good at claiming my cold dead hands.....but the sad truth is I see most complying with the new laws.   Who can afford a felony and lose everything.   They won't take guns In force until they make it illegal.  The mass majority don't even own guns so it' a moot point for them.