Bearing Arms

NJ Housing Developer Bans Guns On Rental Property

While homeownership may be a key part of the American dream, a lot of people rent their homes. Why they do it is irrelevant. What matters is that their money is good and they are (usually) good tenants, right?

It seems that’s not enough for one New Jersey outfit. They also want to tell you that you’re not allowed to own guns if you want to live in one of their properties.

Another “nobody is trying to take your guns” success story. It has come to our attention that a housing development group called RPM Development Group is prohibiting their tenants from owning firearms. You have two choices: keep your gun(s) or become homeless. A new low for the anti-gun bigots!

While Mom’s Demand Action claims that “nobody wants to take your guns away,” one common theme keeps happening: our guns are being taken away either by usurpation or now by being barred from having them in our rental apartments. Despite the fact that the Supreme Court’s Heller decision states that we have a constitutional right to own and bear firearms in our homes, RPM Development Group believes they are immune.

RPM_No_Guns_Allowed-600x438.jpgRPM Notice to All Tenants (Courtesy of Ammoland.com)

We were made aware that this sign was posted at RPM’s Richardson Lofts at 50 Columbia Street, Newark NJ. A search of RPM’s available properties shows they have multiple properties and buildings throughout NJ.

So are we.

On one hand, I can’t help but wonder how this is remotely legal. On the other hand, I remember I’m a big proponent of property rights and since RPM owns the property, what they say should go.

But what they’re saying is ridiculous.

It’s one thing to not want illegal guns on your rental property. I wounldn’t want to be renting a house or apartment to an armed criminal, either. I don’t think anyone would really disagree with that.

We’re not talking about crooks, though. We’re talking about law-abiding citizens who own firearms for recreation and/or personal defense. This is a lawful purpose and no one should get in the way of that right. What’s next? Is RPM going to ban people from owning cars, as well? After all, they’re responsible for more deaths each and every year than firearms.

This, right here, is what anti-gunners want for all of us. It’s not enough to oppose private ownership of firearms. Not for them.

No, they also want to press and push until those with guns are forced to live as exiles. They want to stigmatize us to such a degree that we’re not able to function in society. That includes making it harder for us to find places to live. After all, a little less than 65 percent of all American households own their own home. That leaves a lot of people still renting.

If something like this catches on, a lot of those people will be in a tough spot. They either have to lie and pretend they don’t have guns, or they have to find new places to live, places that don’t put these kinds of restrictions on their tenants.

However, we’ve also seen that financial institutions and the government aren’t above trying to press private industry into adopting anti-gun policies. How long until this spreads?

This is something to keep a wary eye on.

The post NJ Housing Developer Bans Guns On Rental Property appeared first on Bearing Arms.

View the full article

I don't know how the rental agreements are written out but I'd check that if you live there were clear that it's everyone that lives in that property's responsibility to take care of it.there all loosely wrote though  

Businesses have the right to keep / deny firearms being on their property.  There is some legislation in a couple states that if passed will make such business liable for harm, loss of property or life if people are attacked on their property and not able to be armed to defend themselves.  That being said, they have to know you are armed for sure and if they find out they can ask you to leave.  As long as you leave at the point you are asked you can't be charged with a crime.  If you refuse to leave when asked then you can be charged with loitering or trespass just as in any other time a business asks you to leave.   I go into businesses with no firearms signs posted all the time while carrying concealed.  If I ever flash and they ask me to leave then I would and I would also never give them my business ever again after that.  Printing is not the same as flashing / exposing your gun.  If they look at you and say, is that a gun you just say no it isn't.  It's none of their business what is technically hidden from sight.  The only way for them to know for sure is pulling it out and that is only going to happen in case of defensive need.  I have also lived in rentals in the past that had no firearms policies, I still kept my firearms in the apartment, I just made sure they were well hidden.  In the case of this landlord, they may enter and inspect and if they find firearms they can start eviction.  So I would say in this case, just make sure your arms are well hidden while in the meantime looking for a new landlord.

PS, Years ago Block Buster Video stores started posting no guns allowed on their entrance doors.  Many gun owners started boycotting them.  I'm sure it wasn't the only cause but also sure it helped, about 2 years later they ended up closing down and going out of business.  Use your wallets to apply pressure on the anti-gun supporting businesses.

• Like 1

Yeah that's crazy over stepping...,i employ and accept renters i don't agree with as long as there money's green and don t seem like horrible people why can't the left do the same always trying to make opinions personal it's becoming weird. 

1 hour ago, Let_Freedom_Ring said:

PS, Years ago Block Buster Video stores started posting no guns allowed on their entrance doors.  Many gun owners started boycotting them.  I'm sure it wasn't the only cause but also sure it helped, about 2 years later they ended up closing down and going out of business.  Use your wallets to apply pressure on the anti-gun supporting businesses.

That was due to red box and Netflix. 

22 minutes ago, Megatron said:

That was due to red box and Netflix. 

Yes that was a big part of it, but gun owners boycotting them helped put them out of business as well.

• Thanks 1

If you say so....they made bad busines practices and the final straw was turning netflicks down for joint venture. 

Never once heard anyone care about the anti gun stance .   I don't care most places that have the sign you can just ignore it.

I've had the cops called on me for open carrying at Wal-Mart it was just my usmc k-bar and I had my .380 in my pocket and nobody cared about the gun...at Turkey hill i got asked to leave by the manager I had my 10mm on my thigh rig and she asked the cop in the parking lot to trespass me...point is if they have it posted its not illegal to carry but if they ask you to leave you gotta go or risk being trespasses causing a disturbance just depends what the cop that's dealing with you feels like.(turkey hill is not posted and never will be I've since got a apology from the company and employee.)and I open carry most the time I go there still.