Ripcannon

A leaders job in a militia

Posted (edited)

So recently id say within the last year ive talked to plenty of self appointed leaders of militia groups and chapters so on....I've noticed most of them follow a rank system i mean people get butt hurt if the 300 lb civi forgets to salute and I totally understand that as well it teaches discipline and situational awareness...but it all falls to shit when nobody will listen to the 30 yr old private in my opinion...I feel a leaders role is simple they relay communication to there people that's all and keep there head down and how comes the smart guys are always the second in command and not the first I'm starting to notice that I've noticed when I talk to most "leaders" im talking more to the #2 because they have the whats going on speel and they just seem more educated...I guess this might not be a fair shake because I have a bias now that ive been around a little....how do yaw feel about leader to leaderless militias...and how could a leaderless militia work group votes???that takes to long for snap judgements...I got some other questions being I'd like to reamp the pa wolf hunters I didn't nail the name yet but something like that.

Edited by Ripcannon
  • Like 1

I'm not much for self appointed leaders either.  In our group the county leader is voted on every year by the group and it's not uncommon for the leadership role to change hands and sometimes back and forth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In our case, we spent over a year criss-crossing the state in an effort to unite the militias.  Then an election was announced and every person in the militia was given the opportunity to announce for any of the administrative offices to their respective unit / militia group.  Nobody told the other groups / units how they should pick their nominee.

With a slate of nominees, We held a big election, relying on our discussion board to allow people who wanted the positions to use that medium as an advertising platform.  Then, every two years, the state offices held an election for the C.O.,  X.O.,  Treasurer, Chaplain,  PR Director, Intel Officer,  and the Legal Liaison.  Every UNIT was allowed one representative to  have a vote in what we called the Rules Committee.  They had an almost unlimited power to vote any kind of rule or policy into effect.  If State HQ disagreed, the C.O. could veto the measure; it returned to the Rules Committee and could be over-ridden by a two thirds majority.  The problem was, you couldn't beat the Rules Committee hard enough to meet.  When they did, they demanded that the C.O. be present - Like asking Donald Trump to sit in as the House and Congress pass bills.  When the Rules Committee did not act, the C.O. and X.O. would agree on a rule and the Legal Liaison would certify it OR order the Rules Committee to act.  When the Rules Committee didn't act within 30 days, the measure by the C.O and X.O. was the rule.

Then people complained that State HQ was a dictatorship.  Getting people on the right to meet and do their jobs is like herding cats.

If someone had a DD 214, they kept their rank.  At the state level, rank could be attained by passing courses in S.P.I.K.E.  (Specially Prepared Individuals for Key Events.)   Other than that, each UNIT remained autonomous and created their own rank requirements, realizing that if the SHTF, the X.O. and the S.P.I.K.E. officer would lead any actual missions since they had combat experience.

Except for people not understanding that the C.O. was an administrative officer, not the leader of any potential combat operation, and the Rules Committee not meeting on a regular basis to pass rules, most of it was tolerable... Until the media and powerful financial concerns emptied the civilian militias to get involved in counterproductive political pursuits.  

• Thanks 1

I'm pretty interested in s.p.i.k.e i heard of this is there a website you could recommend or a book I should get to teach others?that might help me get people I deemed useless,meaning no formal training before I found them.I think I'd prefer learning with them to teaching them my tactics.

Bo Gritz sells the seminar portions of SPIKE

http://www.bogritz.org/training.htm

Bear in mind that this is only the seminar portions.  Virtually NOBODY sells the books (that constitutes thousands of pages)  We still teach the written portions on our group and Phase 8 is not sold by Gritz due to the fact that phase includes countering standard POLICE STATE actions.  S.P.I.K.E. is the equivalent of a college course.

Many of the skill sets are still taught on this site:

http://www.spike-team.com/

• Thanks 1

"Bo Gritz" ... Lord I haven't heard anyone mention him in years!  Great man

• Like 3