The Resister

What is the militia? Really?

Having just finished the longest opening OP in this board's history in the state forums (See Know your Georgia militias) it inspired me to be a bit more brief and ask you to think about something.

The Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) when someone asks what a militia is, you get answers like recitations of federal statutes like 10 U.S. Code § 246 (the federal statute defining a militia) and you might get a lot of founding fathers quotes about the militia.  I watched some videos on YouTube wherein some militia groups got members together and had answered that question for the media.

What I saw were people dressed in different camo outfits, some wearing masks and trying to articulate what the militia is.  Most of what I heard were defensive positions trying to respond to criticisms of the militia real or imagined.  You know, militia folks were getting defensive and saying we're not racists, we don't discriminate (when we do), and we're not violent.  Well, it says one thing:  the easiest questions about the militia are not that easy.

Most militia groups feel compelled to give you that liberal spiel they've been programmed to repeat about not discriminating based on color, religion, etc., etc. ad infinitum.  That's not true so I don't even understand why we bother saying it.  I mean, if your religion dictates that you are going to convert me or kill me,  you can bet your hind quarters your application to join many militia groups in this country is DOA... especially the one I'm in.  And we're all about limited government until that government promises to address our own personal political issues.

We say that we are the last line of defense in a free nation, but we spend in excess of half a trillion dollars on our military, so we won't ever have to face a foreign enemy (presuming of course, we maintain the Second Amendment.)  We cannot claim to be an apolitical entity because the most likely enemies of America are going to come from within.  Enemies of America have removed nativity scenes from public view; they have made it illegal to publicly display the Ten Commandments.  They have removed our flags, statues, monuments, and memorials.  The enemies of America have instilled a guilt complex in the posterity of the founders of this nation and have used that to silently work among our people to make drug addicts out of our children and eventually criminals out of an entire generation.

We cannot discuss lines in the sand.  That is conspiracy to commit.  We've fooled ourselves into ignoring the "citizen" part of being a citizen soldier.  Consequently, we ignore the historical, legal and political aspects of the battle.  In doing so we have become easy targets for political psychological warfare, Hegelian Dialectics, and Pavlovian conditioning.  So, we've settled for being an imaginary auxiliary for Homeland (IN) Security and I have to ask, What is the militia?  Really?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here is a similar thread in my state militia group the ICVM and some of the responses:

Why do we use the term "militia"? Views?

Militia
MILI'TIA, noun [Latin from miles, a soldier; Gr. war, to fight, combat, contention. The primary sense of fighting is to strive, struggle, drive, or to strike, to beat, Eng. moil, Latin molior; Heb. to labor or toil.] The body of soldiers in a state enrolled for discipline, but not engaged in actual service except in emergencies; as distinguished from regular troops, whose sole occupation is war or military service. The militia of a country are the able bodied men organized into companies, regiments and brigades, with officers of all grades, and required by law to attend military exercises on certain days only, but at other times left to pursue their usual occupations.

webstersdictionary1828.com/Dictionary/militia

You can change the name to 3 percenter, Oathkeeper, or whatever, But the fact remains the only legal definition is MILITIA. It is also the only name recognized by our Constitution. So legally we are Militia and so are the rest of the groups who are afraid to call them selves Militia. I believe to call us a Militia gives us Constitutional legal credibility.

It's great we use the term Militia! "Militia" the word is in the Second Amendment therefore we are protected by the Constitution. No where in the Constitution does it say you have a right to form a patriot group, constitutional group, prepping group.I for 1 am Proud to say "I'm in the Militia".

While the topic is militia, we actually do have a Constitutional right to form a militia, patriot or prepping group under the first amendment doctrine of freedom of association. The first amendment covers this under the free speech clause and "the United States Supreme Court held in NAACP v. Alabama (1958) that freedom of association is an essential part of freedom of speech because, in many cases, people can engage in effective speech only when they join with others." (Wikipedia) That case law is significant for a number of reasons and should be mentioned from time to time in this context when the Southern Poverty Law Center idiots try to suggest that we don't have the right to form an independent non-state controlled militia. They are wrong and the Constitution says so in TWO places, not one, partly thanks to folks like them!

...and thereby hangs the reason the term has been "smeared" by the lamestream press! "Constitutional legal credibility" - Power hungry corruptocrats hate anything that has that. A right. An organization. Anything. 

I, myself, as you may or may not know, have come here under an alias because I'm hiding my Militia participations in order to keep my employment. I have to hide from the public that I am in a militia or change jobs. I do not wish to hide but I do wish to stay employed. Questions were raised. In the organization I work for there is no defending anything. The second question is "Where do you want your last check sent?", figuratively, of course, since I have direct deposit. 

With the glee that many businesses (Dicks, Starcucks [did I spell that right?], PayPal, School Corps, county offices and others) voluntarily violate the 2A (...and yes it is a violation, an argument for another thread)  it is no wonder that the lamestream smeared term "Militia" is avoided. One of our missions should always include being Militia Ambassadors to an ignorant populace. They're ignorant not because they are stupid (they I tend to incorrectly mix the terms stupid and ignorant) they are ignorant because of widespread information control by the corporate lamestream media that has been bought off and perverted. 

A funny thought just entered my mind: The same lamestream that demonizes individual gun ownership glorifies gun violence on that same screen. Is it any wonder that our society is about as screwed up and murderous as HAL 9000 in Space Odyssey 2001?

So, I don't blame them for avoiding the term "Militia" when its necessary. But, honestly, there are some rooms full of people that get you the "Deer In The Headlights" look if you say any word connected with The Constitution for the United States. Be wise where you choose to be that Ambassador!

My own thoughts are that the militia is a locally focused grass roots level of voluntary cooperation in a common goal of protecting our communities.  Militias can voluntarily choose to join and cooperate with larger communities such as county, state and federal if doing so is in line with helping to protect their local communities.  It is just as much an unalienable as all the other rights which are confirmed not granted in the United States Constitution.

• Like 2

Not quoting ... too long. 

Whenever I have been asked about what is a militia, I have always stated to is the people of your community, the doctors, lawyers, librarians, cashiers, store clerks, car hops, preachers, etc...anyone in the community, willing to fight to protect their communities, their families and themselves.  

I try to look back at the original militias and their function. 

2 hours ago, Let_Freedom_Ring said:

Here is a similar thread in my state militia group the ICVM and some of the responses:

Why do we use the term "militia"? Views?

Militia
MILI'TIA, noun [Latin from miles, a soldier; Gr. war, to fight, combat, contention. The primary sense of fighting is to strive, struggle, drive, or to strike, to beat, Eng. moil, Latin molior; Heb. to labor or toil.] The body of soldiers in a state enrolled for discipline, but not engaged in actual service except in emergencies; as distinguished from regular troops, whose sole occupation is war or military service. The militia of a country are the able bodied men organized into companies, regiments and brigades, with officers of all grades, and required by law to attend military exercises on certain days only, but at other times left to pursue their usual occupations.

webstersdictionary1828.com/Dictionary/militia

You can change the name to 3 percenter, Oathkeeper, or whatever, But the fact remains the only legal definition is MILITIA. It is also the only name recognized by our Constitution. So legally we are Militia and so are the rest of the groups who are afraid to call them selves Militia. I believe to call us a Militia gives us Constitutional legal credibility.

It's great we use the term Militia! "Militia" the word is in the Second Amendment therefore we are protected by the Constitution. No where in the Constitution does it say you have a right to form a patriot group, constitutional group, prepping group.I for 1 am Proud to say "I'm in the Militia".

While the topic is militia, we actually do have a Constitutional right to form a militia, patriot or prepping group under the first amendment doctrine of freedom of association. The first amendment covers this under the free speech clause and "the United States Supreme Court held in NAACP v. Alabama (1958) that freedom of association is an essential part of freedom of speech because, in many cases, people can engage in effective speech only when they join with others." (Wikipedia) That case law is significant for a number of reasons and should be mentioned from time to time in this context when the Southern Poverty Law Center idiots try to suggest that we don't have the right to form an independent non-state controlled militia. They are wrong and the Constitution says so in TWO places, not one, partly thanks to folks like them!

...and thereby hangs the reason the term has been "smeared" by the lamestream press! "Constitutional legal credibility" - Power hungry corruptocrats hate anything that has that. A right. An organization. Anything. 

I, myself, as you may or may not know, have come here under an alias because I'm hiding my Militia participations in order to keep my employment. I have to hide from the public that I am in a militia or change jobs. I do not wish to hide but I do wish to stay employed. Questions were raised. In the organization I work for there is no defending anything. The second question is "Where do you want your last check sent?", figuratively, of course, since I have direct deposit. 

With the glee that many businesses (Dicks, Starcucks [did I spell that right?], PayPal, School Corps, county offices and others) voluntarily violate the 2A (...and yes it is a violation, an argument for another thread)  it is no wonder that the lamestream smeared term "Militia" is avoided. One of our missions should always include being Militia Ambassadors to an ignorant populace. They're ignorant not because they are stupid (they I tend to incorrectly mix the terms stupid and ignorant) they are ignorant because of widespread information control by the corporate lamestream media that has been bought off and perverted. 

A funny thought just entered my mind: The same lamestream that demonizes individual gun ownership glorifies gun violence on that same screen. Is it any wonder that our society is about as screwed up and murderous as HAL 9000 in Space Odyssey 2001?

So, I don't blame them for avoiding the term "Militia" when its necessary. But, honestly, there are some rooms full of people that get you the "Deer In The Headlights" look if you say any word connected with The Constitution for the United States. Be wise where you choose to be that Ambassador!

My own thoughts are that the militia is a locally focused grass roots level of voluntary cooperation in a common goal of protecting our communities.  Militias can voluntarily choose to join and cooperate with larger communities such as county, state and federal if doing so is in line with helping to protect their local communities.  It is just as much an unalienable as all the other rights which are confirmed not granted in the United States Constitution.

Thank you for the response.  Now, you're getting into the part where I can get to the bottom line.

You say that we should be "locally focused grass roots level of voluntary cooperation in a common goal of protecting our communities."

Okay, I agree with you that you start at local level, but what are you going to protect your community from?  Most of these militia groups have some standardized / boilerplate language that they are apolitical (that is they don't get involved in politics), so what are you protecting your community from?  You brought up the fact that we have a Freedom of Association.  That is an unalienable Right.  If we're going to invoke that into our definition of what the militia is, are we not then taking on a legal / political component?

We are citizen soldiers.  In my mind, at some point, we must acknowledge the domestic enemies and have some kind of protocol to deal with them.  How do we identify them?  Would we not have to believe in something before we could define a domestic enemy?  And, since we have now invoked a constitutional principle, do we not invoke the Constitution itself?  And, if you say yes, which Constitution?  The "living" Constitution or the Constitution as originally written and intended (strict constructionism?)  Do we acknowledge the Constitution?  If so, again as originally written and intended OR the one that includes the 14th and 16th Amendments that were illegally ratified?  Don't you think it's hard to describe a militia without history, law and politics?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ImTexan said:

Not quoting ... too long. 

Whenever I have been asked about what is a militia, I have always stated to is the people of your community, the doctors, lawyers, librarians, cashiers, store clerks, car hops, preachers, etc...anyone in the community, willing to fight to protect their communities, their families and themselves.  

I try to look back at the original militias and their function. 

The average major news articles I read online last week ranged from thirty six to 42 paragraphs. Mine are twelve and under.  Unfortunately, you cannot save America with a solution you can put on a bumper sticker.  

So far you've told me what a militia consists of, but we're still where we began.  If we are going to fight for our communities, don't you think that starts with the "citizen" part of citizen soldier?  How do you protect your community?  Do you wait until tanks are rolling down the street in your neighborhood?  Do you take any preventative measures (i.e. lobbying legislators?)  If so, what do you protect your neighbors from?  If you create options for your legislators; if you claim to want to defend the Constitution, then I would submit that you have a political and legal component that you're introducing to the militia.  Wouldn't you?  Let me give you a specific example regarding how America is being attacked:

The major threat we have in America today is drug use (both legal and illegal.)  At the core of most of our internal problems, drugs are number ONE.  We allow the government, doctors, Big Pharma and the mental health community to begin drugging children at an early age and by the time those kids are grown, This continues until those children are grown and full fledged drug users.  Isn't it the job of citizen soldiers to get to the root of community problems and eliminate them before we break out our rifles and go after the entrepreneurs we created (like drug cartels?)  Clean up the crap in your back yard and the flies go away.  I just used the number one problem to illustrate the fact that, as a militia, we could do much more.  But, if we are not going to do it, what is a militia?  Really?

I guess I don’t spell everything out. I give people more credit I guess ... like saying “We’ll meet Christmas Day” instead of “We’ll meet Dec 25th” ... 

The community are Citizens .. but I get your point. 

I think I write more than would fit on a bumpersticker... that was a snarky comment, but coming from a different background, I also am aware of readership attention span UNLESS it is a classroom setting or required for businesses. 

Think I’ll let you rock on. 

42 minutes ago, ImTexan said:

I guess I don’t spell everything out. I give people more credit I guess ... like saying “We’ll meet Christmas Day” instead of “We’ll meet Dec 25th” ... 

The community are Citizens .. but I get your point. 

I think I write more than would fit on a bumpersticker... that was a snarky comment, but coming from a different background, I also am aware of readership attention span UNLESS it is a classroom setting or required for businesses. 

Think I’ll let you rock on. 

I think you have a tendency to take the things the wrong way. My point is snarky to the extent that about 99 percent of the people who want to join the militia have never asked themselves what a militia really is.  And so America has gotten used to answers that fit onto a bumper sticker only to be disillusioned when things don't work out.

Add that to the numbers of people that play into the media stereotype plus the egotistical people that use the militia to promote single issue political agendas (again, while denying they are involved in anything political) and behooves us to ask what a militia is.  After we get a few responses, I'd like to take a stab at what the militia should be.

You may be right but since you quoted me,  I did take the comment to heart.  And the fact that I do not write (normally) very long postings.

1 minute ago, ImTexan said:

You may be right but since you quoted me,  I did take the comment to heart.  And the fact that I do not write (normally) very long postings.

You do know that I don't deliberately say things to hurt your feelings.  It is a generic response.  I promise to try and do better next time.

2 minutes ago, The Resister said:

You do know that I don't deliberately say things to hurt your feelings.  It is a generic response.  I promise to try and do better next time.

Thank you for that. I will try to NOT take it personally when it seems that way. You are right. Thanks.

Let me try the OP a different way:

Last September my local unit decided that we'd try the neighborhood I live in.  We invited all the people from around here covering three subdivisions.  IIRC 17 newbies showed up.  Among militia members ,four of us had over 30 years experience each.  The guy with the least amount of experience had six years time in service.

We tried the neighborhood watch / local community approach and let them know that anyone who had aspirations beyond that were welcome to participate in the S.P.I.K.E. program.  S.P.I.K.E. is the most advanced program available to people in the militia AND we also go further in teaching legal research techniques, political guerrilla warfare, understanding law, understanding history, and psychological / political warfare.  We did not get a single recruit.  Last week two houses were burglarized in my neighborhood.  One was next door to me.  The other house was across the street and maybe four or five houses down.  Oddly I came within feet and maybe seconds of catching the guy.  IF we had a neighborhood watch, I could have caught him.

Anyway, because we did not show up in camo sporting our latest high tech semi-auto rifles at our public meeting, we got a cold shoulder reception.  A couple of people told me the militia was not what they thought it was.

At the other end of the spectrum, the militia has NO think tanks to study policies, proposed legislation,  current legal trends, technology as it pertains to militia membership, nor ways to promote a positive perception to the public.  Show up in cammies; everybody carry a mean looking black rifle and you will get recruits.  So, I'm scratching my head and wondering what is the militia, really?

This is a good topic. I can add a few thoughts of my own over a few posts...

I think we all have images of what most outsiders imagine a militia as...and then a few images of the stereotypes when they get involved in protests or social activism...

MilitiaFatOldGuys.png

Militia1.jpg

Militia6.jpg

Militia3.jpeg

We should have a balance of community activities...awareness of issues on state and local levels, the schools and education, and helping community outreaches and services...

Militia8.jpg

Militia5.jpg

Militia4.jpg

Militiasoupkitchen.jpg

• Like 1

And with a balance of all of the above, I feel a person can become closest to the original militia member...

A little history lesson thrown in here too. If you have never heard of the Battle of Athens, then look it up. This is perhaps the pinnacle of what defined a working modern militia in action. These citizens were being soldiers, peace officers, lawyers, and election officials over the course of a couple days. They knew each other, pooled resources, and worked together.

MIlitiaBattleofAthens.jpg

MilitiaBattleofAthens1946.jpg

MilitiaBattleofAthensOverview.png

Stereotypes in pictures was not what I was after.  So, since this can go south really fast, I'll make a point since this thread will become a joke before people really weigh in.

So, you have all these groups and, like the oath keepers, let us presume they have all taken an oath to protect the Constitution.  I ask again WHICH Constitution?  Unfortunately these posts are not numbered, so let me repeat something so this makes sense for you:

We are citizen soldiers.  In my mind, at some point, we must acknowledge the domestic enemies and have some kind of protocol to deal with them.  How do we identify them?  Would we not have to believe in something before we could define a domestic enemy?  And, since we have now invoked a constitutional principle, do we not invoke the Constitution itself?  And, if you say yes, which Constitution?  The "living" Constitution or the Constitution as originally written and intended (strict constructionism?)  Do we acknowledge the Constitution?  If so, again as originally written and intended OR the one that includes the 14th and 16th Amendments that were illegally ratified?  Don't you think it's hard to describe a militia without history, law and politics?

What will make your small group jump in their cars and come to my group's defense?  You can't really answer the question because that is drawing lines in the sand; that is just shy of conspiracy to commit.  But, the whole problem is, all the guys in those pictures are illustrating is that they have cammies and rifles.  So, I'm left with my own personal opinion and this is how it goes:

The militia ought to be a body of citizen - soldiers who believe in the Constitution as was originally written and intended.  The Amendments that conflict with Liberty should be confronted and nullified by we, the people.  The militia ought to have a legal / political / historical component and serve as the public affairs and educational center for the militia.  

We should have something closely akin to the Declaration of Independence since a large contingent of the people on the right hate, loathe and despise unalienable Rights -  most of them unaware of it because the militia lacks that legal / political / historical component (which could also be a think tank effort for the militia.)  If the founding documents fall on deaf ears and blind eyes, its' time to come up with something that we can all support.  We're at this transitional stage where we use the Second Amendment and militia statutes to tell us WHO the militia is, but not WHAT it is.  As a result we do not know when nor how to exhaust all of our nonviolent legal and political avenues of redress in order to make the government live up to the guarantees under our Constitution that the posterity of the founders is being denied.  Other than providing entertaining pictures and detracting from the real question here, we should have a plan of action to bring us back to constitutional principles, but only after the rank and file of the militia are fully informed as to what those principles consist of.

Put another way: Our founders went from Declaration of Independence to a written Constitution in eleven years.  They did not have telephones, televisions, computers,  the Internet (along with blogs, discussion boards, Fakebook, Twitter), or cell phones.  Since the advent of the Internet, those who used to favor the Constitution as originally written and intended, have become fewer and fewer in number.  Over the past fifteen years, we have become more and more divided and I don't see anyone in a hurry to leave the comfort of their home and pledge to some other guy his life, fortune and / or sacred honor.  

In our founders era, they could sum up America and the ultimate utopia in one word:  Liberty.  In way more than 100 paragraphs of this thread, we've been unable articulate a message that all of us would rally around.  We're too scared or too caught up in something else to think about the most important aspect of belonging to the militia.  So, we'll avoid it and we will not talk about it.  But, I have some really tough questions.  

I am afraid the "entertaining pictures" in my post were your entanglement to losing my meaning, Resister. Let me add some more words to explain...

-Militia members don't have to be identified by our appearance. We are citizens that should be a part of our community and have established relationships that may be needed in future times. We should not feel isolated to ourselves for this is counter productive to a citizen militia.

-We should be aware of what our Constitution actually says and does not say. Aware of what it means, for we cannot defend our unalienable rights if we cannot define them. Having this awareness is the key to defining WHY we do what we are doing. It is also important to know the Constitution in its pure form and not diluted with socialist goals masquerading as a liberty.

-The Constitution is also our road map. It defines those "nonviolent legal and political avenues of redress" that you mention. So many voices are not in unity on how to properly follow this road map. Personally I feel way too many people jump to physical altercation as an avenue of action. Showing up armed to a rally attempting to start a fight is not casting any militia in a positive light.

-The Constitution charges the militia with the task of putting down insurrections and upholding the laws of the Union. Such duty can strike fear into anyone, for this has been intentionally diverted from public light. The powers of the people to uphold this liberty and seek punishment for those offenses have been watered down. We are getting closer to seeing the skeleton in the closet that few mention. Are we not charged to uphold liberty with the full authorization of the Constitution behind us? The citizens in the Battle of Athens did not forget it. Citizen grand juries and the militia are the venom in the snakes fangs for attacking those that pervert liberty. There is a no-holds-barred approach taught by our Founding Fathers for defending our unalienable rights, and multiple generations have let it slide away from us...

There are groups aimed at restoring the Constitution and mitigating the disasters befallen from too little representation in Congress (which started to happen as soon as George Washington left office.) Hopefully the "Bring Congress Home Act" gains some traction. It appears worthy of support.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BuryTheHatchet said:

I am afraid the "entertaining pictures" in my post were your entanglement to losing my meaning, Resister. Let me add some more words to explain...

-Militia members don't have to be identified by our appearance. We are citizens that should be a part of our community and have established relationships that may be needed in future times. We should not feel isolated to ourselves for this is counter productive to a citizen militia.

-We should be aware of what our Constitution actually says and does not say. Aware of what it means, for we cannot defend our unalienable rights if we cannot define them. Having this awareness is the key to defining WHY we do what we are doing. It is also important to know the Constitution in its pure form and not diluted with socialist goals masquerading as a liberty.

-The Constitution is also our road map. It defines those "nonviolent legal and political avenues of redress" that you mention. So many voices are not in unity on how to properly follow this road map. Personally I feel way too many people jump to physical altercation as an avenue of action. Showing up armed to a rally attempting to start a fight is not casting any militia in a positive light.

-The Constitution charges the militia with the task of putting down insurrections and upholding the laws of the Union. Such duty can strike fear into anyone, for this has been intentionally diverted from public light. The powers of the people to uphold this liberty and seek punishment for those offenses have been watered down. We are getting closer to seeing the skeleton in the closet that few mention. Are we not charged to uphold liberty with the full authorization of the Constitution behind us? The citizens in the Battle of Athens did not forget it. Citizen grand juries and the militia are the venom in the snakes fangs for attacking those that pervert liberty. There is a no-holds-barred approach taught by our Founding Fathers for defending our unalienable rights, and multiple generations have let it slide away from us...

There are groups aimed at restoring the Constitution and mitigating the disasters befallen from too little representation in Congress (which started to happen as soon as George Washington left office.) Hopefully the "Bring Congress Home Act" gains some traction. It appears worthy of support.

I agree with all you've said, but after three decades that the modern militia has been active, we have not united; have not set forth a statement of beliefs; have not determined a course of action.  All I have ever heard is that the units need to be local and small.  Yeah, we say we believe in the Constitution and Liberty, but I've tried for many years to get the leaders of militias to define their terminology.  

What we get is a leadership that stops by these discussion boards to recruit and then avoid the tough questions.  I realize that I'm being overly-aggressive in pursuing this, but I'm watching a nation rot and decay from the inside, out.  And, having witnessed several decades of the same old, same old, and seeing the militia getting the same old, same old, I would say we're due a real conversation.

I know that there was, at one time, National Militia Standards.  Don't even know if any militias are updating those at regular intervals.

What we've done (or more accurately haven't done) has fallen short of teaching people in the militia both the purpose and the history of the militia.  Then, at another level, we've not laid out a blueprint of where we are and where we are going to go.  Consequently, we have to vote for the lesser of two evils in every election and contend with political propaganda prostitutes whose ego prevents them from standing up for the right thing.  For them the right thing is responding to polling numbers.  The leaders of various factions don't come to one spot and figure out why they cannot all be working toward the same goals and objectives.

As a result we have some militias (most of them) that only tout their "combat readiness."  What we cannot do is transition from citizen soldier to patriot.  The founders told us that we have a Right to rebel against tyranny in government; that we should use force to protect the public Liberties if necessary; when someone asked Benjamin Franklin what kind of government we ended up with, he is reputed to have said, "a Republic - if you can keep it."  My perception (and if I'm wrong, please give some details) is that the militia has become some small groups of people having some soldiering skills, but are waiting for some apocalyptic SHTF scenario whereby we then rush out and defend America against this great world superpower.  Meanwhile, America is dying a slow death from within.

2 hours ago, The Resister said:

I agree with all you've said, but after three decades that the modern militia has been active, we have not united; have not set forth a statement of beliefs; have not determined a course of action.  All I have ever heard is that the units need to be local and small.  Yeah, we say we believe in the Constitution and Liberty, but I've tried for many years to get the leaders of militias to define their terminology.  

What we get is a leadership that stops by these discussion boards to recruit and then avoid the tough questions.  I realize that I'm being overly-aggressive in pursuing this, but I'm watching a nation rot and decay from the inside, out.  And, having witnessed several decades of the same old, same old, and seeing the militia getting the same old, same old, I would say we're due a real conversation.

I know that there was, at one time, National Militia Standards.  Don't even know if any militias are updating those at regular intervals.

What we've done (or more accurately haven't done) has fallen short of teaching people in the militia both the purpose and the history of the militia.  Then, at another level, we've not laid out a blueprint of where we are and where we are going to go.  Consequently, we have to vote for the lesser of two evils in every election and contend with political propaganda prostitutes whose ego prevents them from standing up for the right thing.  For them the right thing is responding to polling numbers.  The leaders of various factions don't come to one spot and figure out why they cannot all be working toward the same goals and objectives.

As a result we have some militias (most of them) that only tout their "combat readiness."  What we cannot do is transition from citizen soldier to patriot.  The founders told us that we have a Right to rebel against tyranny in government; that we should use force to protect the public Liberties if necessary; when someone asked Benjamin Franklin what kind of government we ended up with, he is reputed to have said, "a Republic - if you can keep it."  My perception (and if I'm wrong, please give some details) is that the militia has become some small groups of people having some soldiering skills, but are waiting for some apocalyptic SHTF scenario whereby we then rush out and defend America against this great world superpower.  Meanwhile, America is dying a slow death from within.

I agree as well. I think a cause behind our many splintered groups is the difference in ideologies on how liberty is observed. Some are men of staunch convictions that will fight at all costs. Others thrive to see anarchy. Most people in groups are observers looking to gain knowledge. These people know that things are sliding downhill, but lack the physical strength, resources, or the desire to engage on the front lines politically or physically.

Fear of backlash for militia actions has crippled us as a society. We know what to expect as a reaction from the government. There is a cost to liberty, and one should make sure that the footing is sound on principle when making a stand. Otherwise we can't discern if another person is fighting for liberty or looking for selfish gain.

We are also fighting groups on the flip-side of the spectrum that have been fed by socialism, mislead on what liberty looks like, and taught that all in authority are fascists. I had an interesting social media conversation with a fellow of African-American descent. I suspect he was a BLM member and most likely in a more combative group. He was openly defending his version of liberty and didn't agree with my definition of liberty because of my non-black genetics. One interesting final point that he made...he said, "They are coming for you, too." I took this as an understanding that he knows the evil that seeks to enslave all men, but has taken the position to fight it through those in authority. I think this would be explained as power through self and not through an understanding of the source of unalienable rights. Perhaps those past sacrifices that set our liberties in order have been intentionally twisted and explained to others as selfish sources of privilege and racial domination. I often wonder what the face of the militia would look like if we had that kind of determination seen in our counterparts. I wonder what this nation would really be like today had Americans kept the fires of liberty fueled like they did in the 1770s and 1780s. We have enjoyed the blessed fruits of liberty, while forgetting to water the tree and cultivate the soil it grows in.