Ripcannon

vetting in most militias is a joke

Posted (edited)

I'd usually start with why but im gonna start with asking you why....and my question is if your 17-45 and all ready a unorganized militia who got the right to vet you and say if you are or are not...as to vetting to join a certain group I can get that to a point I mean not every body is like minded just because they say like minded but shouldn't that be as far as it goes way do they want extras, a copy of ssn and I.d, dd form 214...if there a felon in control of a firearm they brought its there risk anyway plus as a constitutionalist I know even felons have the right to protect themselves...I just find it annoying how some folks preach militia and damn near makes it impossible to join for joe blow down the street cause of no military or law enforcement creds... same with bigger ppl theres gotta be a well guarded HQ in any crisis and how much can you move once fortified in a defensive position...im sure theres better points I missed but I see people turned away from militias due to drinking I get that and smoking the herb still I get that but its at a crazy rate I tell people id like a piss test (id never piss test anyone just a little technique)and they either tell me if they will fail and why or they reschedule and never come back its a pretty good way to weed out the hard drug users from self medicators Anyway I don't see a better place or no better people to talk about this with and id like for there be a little push back to some militia leaders to let ppl in and go from there learn some techniques to find out what you wanna know and not be intrusive its not as blunt but same results and we might gain a active member....anyway any thoughts? or pick it apart

Edited by Ripcannon
  • Like 1

There has to be some vetting because you may be needing to fight along side each other and trust in each other to do so.  The vetting for our group is someone meeting and talking in person with a possible new member just to make sure they are citizens and not the type of people who are for better want of a term "nut jobs".  As long as they are 18 years or older and  meet these basic requirements and continue to do so they are in.  If others want to have super exclusive groups with extremely high standards, well that is their right to do so.     

Posted (edited)

for sure its there right...I just don't understand the reasoning behind it nor do I agree....I mean illegal activities aside whats another reason....and im also talking about prying into others business I totally agree that the views should align other wise its a ineffective member towards your cause and it just wouldn't make sense...I just know a afternoon of training and talking is a better process then a backround check...plus anymore if you check a recruits f/b itll tell you the important shit. 

Edited by Ripcannon

Yes, the vetting process is ongoing.  The more newbs participate and train and get to know others the more they are trusted and respected for their abilities, contributions and ideals.

In my experience...The vetting process can depend on how serious the group gets with weapons and drills. If a group is focused on community events or proactive legal issues only, then the vetting can be a bit lax.  If this is a prepper or prep-steader group involving family, then one might want to research if there are any sex offenders trying to join. If this is a patriot group with range time, weapons proficiency, two man team drills, etc. are in a part of the groups, then one is going to look very carefully at new prospects.

Felons can be productive members of the group, and the ones with a sense of openness will say they are a felon up front when trying to join a group. They will know their legal limits and should avoid all group activities anytime firearms training is present. In fact, you may even learn a thing or two as most felons that hunt learn to be well trained with bows, spears, knives, and other forms of non-firearm weapons.

My patriot group asks several questions about the Constitution of prospective members, and then check Facebook posts can usually give a feeling on what part of the political spectrum a person falls into. More questions can then be asked. Flaws in character will show up on the group chat and forum posts. Most people find it easy to put their foot in their mouth if allowed to do so, and then they can be removed from the group if showing thought out of line with a group's goals. People that don't feel comfortable with others are going to argue with them on social forums, forge alliances often destructive to group as a whole, and ultimately could lead to the splitting up of the group. A group that works together and interacts often is going to be a stronger group with less issues. No one is going to rely upon someone that just wants to just be a part of a social forum and never show up to events. Usually there is a group rule that one needs to attend one social function or training session a year, otherwise they are considered "inactive" and get the boot.

If you want to have a good group, contact your local high school buddies, coworkers, or others that you see on a weekly basis. At least you will know if you can trust their word or not. I would not want to join a group without knowing that others are concerned for my safety.

• Thanks 1

that's what im saying id rather help the crazys then send them packing not that ive found any trying to join and yes sir every able body man I just think if your gonna run a militia theres gotta be room for everybody that agrees the same mission statement I don't think you should share all parts until theres that trust and bond but that goes into a family dynamic run'd militia I agree with.

yeah that sex offender question is the first thing you usually here ive never met a sex offender and ive been a patriot all my life good question but I don't think theres ever a yes.

Just now, Ripcannon said:

yeah that sex offender question is the first thing you usually here ive never met a sex offender and ive been a patriot all my life good question but I don't think theres ever a yes.

One can be labelled a sex offender for doing some stupid stuff which would never qualify one as an actual sexual predator. Here is an instance where one had better have a good friend already in a respected group that can vouch for you.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Megatron said:

Depends all able body men.... wonder what that means 

Well, back in the day when the ink was fresh on the Constitution...serious criminals lived short lives. Sex offenders were terminated, and I think the first one was executed in 1649 for having relations with a chicken. One didn't have to worry a bunch back then on finding someone that would know how to survive with a light day pack and be proficient with a firearm.

5 minutes ago, BuryTheHatchet said:

Well, back in the day when the ink was fresh on the Constitution...serious criminals lived short lives. Sex offenders were terminated, and I think the first one was executed in 1649 for having relations with a chicken. One didn't have to worry a bunch back then on finding someone that would know how to survive with a light day pack and be proficient with a firearm.

So we pick and choose which laws fit when it's needed . 

5 minutes ago, Ripcannon said:

screw that.lol...id prefer any other crime over that in a militia I affiliated with.

I can't say that a registered offender ever asked to join us either. We have had those convicted with domestic abuse that were very productive members of a group. We jeered them a bunch on non-firearm gear check days because they had utility belts which held their arrows upright behind their backs. They kind of looked like robin hood, and we let them know it. All in good fun of course...and that kind of brotherly fun is what helps keep a group together.

• Like 1

recently TWIC seems more well regulated and updated than NICS which is quite odd

2 minutes ago, Megatron said:

So we pick and choose which laws fit when it's needed . 

We pick and choose those that fit our patriot groups according to a group's goal. A true Constitutional militia will involve everyone locally that can physically perform tasks of militia duty. This is why the Constitution said the states will fund the training, actually conduct training, and appoint leaders over the men. If one could not handle the rigors of training, then other duties were assigned to them. Everyone could have a role, and in this day and age, there are more roles to fill than ever. Let's not get confused when talking patriot groups and true militia duty.

• Thanks 1

ive had more trouble in the real militia community not for my sake but for other ppl that aint good enough its the patriot groups for the most part that want any and everyone...plus there military style dictatorship aint my style.Thats a rough thing to say why separate I bet I know a "patriot group"just as helpful or more helpful in there community's as the next 'real militia'...not trying to sound offended but a militia is a militia and they should all be a patriot group as well. 

13 minutes ago, Megatron said:

Yeah I that's why I don't believe in militia groups as anything bigger than a squad size. 

yeah...still wanna know were to stash family kids with a small group it makes for high stress during shtf but you get 15-20 trained fellas maybe even a pt drop out and a asvab wavier and you can hq up and atleast have a nap and a meal knowing your familys semi safe.

2 minutes ago, Ripcannon said:

yeah...still wanna know were to stash family kids with a small group it makes for high stress during shtf but you get 15-20 trained fellas maybe even a pt drop out and a asvab wavier and you can hq up and atleast have a nap and a meal knowing your familys semi safe.

Why would I trust my life to someone who couldn't make the simple commitment of passing a apft.  I don't need 300s but if you choke on running 2 miles in under 18 mins your doing it wrong 

• Like 1

You have 3 basic things as a lower enlisted pass pt show up on time and do what your told.  Those failures drag the unit down .    Now talk to me about height and weight then sure .   I'll agree if you pass pt at 70 percent they shouldn't be flagging you for weight 

• Like 1

well ill take a 300 lbs guy guarding my family then nobody when im gone.i understand big ppl that need extracted is a problem and having them set the pace under fire would piss me off but theres ways around that utvs are great.i don't mind running I do everyday but in most situations id rather drive with my fat buddy riding shotgun with a shotgun  then me doin everything.