Another poster wanted to argue over the AR 15 and whether commercial AR 15 parts are milspec.

So, let me begin with by giving the answer to his argument:

The AR 15 Bolt Carrier Group and the M 16 Bolt Carrier group are different in appearance and functionality.  Either will work in an AR rifle, but there are differences between commercial rifles and mil spec weapons.

I just checked AR15.com  and the first posting in their forum said one thing I had stated in a reply on this board.  The poster said:

The F/A carrier weighs a little bit more, this makes the cycling of the bolt a little smoother overall. Thats about the only difference though.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-/12-448372/

Well, yes and no.  The reason the M16 BCG is heavier is due to the fact that it has more metal in it.  So, who did they take out the extra mass from commercial AR 15?  It was to thwart the efforts by civilians to modify their rifle to fire fully auto.  So, yes, there IS a functional difference.  If someone ever converted an AR to fully auto, they would have to make permanent modifications to the bolt carrier group, put in a milspec BCG, or maybe machine something that could fill the void left by the AR 15 BCG once you mill out that mass that differentiates it between commercial and milspec.

So, that poster is factually wrong - both the AR15.com poster and the poster here on mymilitia.com

• Like 1

Yeah or not as a armor for the United States army and the commander of the northern hemisphere militia.  The full auto m16 bcg is recommended for your build. Which is the same bcg you find in the a1 to a4 rifles.  

If you ended up with a lighter m4 bolt which the army used in the m4s.  You can just buy one.  They avg around 80 to 150 dollars each.  

42 minutes ago, Megatron said:

Yeah or not as a armor for the United States army and the commander of the northern hemisphere militia.  The full auto m16 bcg is recommended for your build. Which is the same bcg you find in the a1 to a4 rifles.  

If you ended up with a lighter m4 bolt which the army used in the m4s.  You can just buy one.  They avg around 80 to 150 dollars each.  

Se Habla Ingles?  If so, your sentences ought to reflect it.  Some manufacturers use the cheaper AR 15 BCG.  And my point still stands that caused you to get your panties in a bunch.  After you upgrade a cheap rifle, it becomes a more expensive rifle.  But, I had rather spend a little stretched over a period of time and get what I want rather than to be inadequately armed.

I wouldn't know I build all mine.  I know it's unheard of In your world to use your hands and make something. 

Hense I get what I need before I spend more upgrading the safe queen.

10 minutes ago, Megatron said:

I wouldn't know I build all mine.  I know it's unheard of In your world to use your hands and make something. 

Hense I get what I need before I spend more upgrading the safe queen.

Hense?  You no habla Ingles?  no puedes construir mierda.  Maybe if we converse in your native language, you'll understand me.  What is hense???  Hen yes???

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, The Resister said:

Hense?  You no habla Ingles?  no puedes construir mierda.  Maybe if we converse in your native language, you'll understand me.  What is hense???  Hen yes???

Your clan members busy hanging brown skins?  Got gloves for those ropes.

Posted (edited)

I think the better question is low mass bcg or heavy for less recoil...I never messed with this in a real chat because I know die hard both ways and I prefer heavy anyway.

Edited by Ripcannon

You can also tune buffer weights    my pistol ar runs a h2 buffer and wolf recoil spring.   I also upsize the gas port as well. It's flame thrower and louder then anyone would like it to be.  The concussion will rattle you if your forward of the brake 

Posted (edited)

hell yeah nice.i run a super light bcg with a heavy action spring on my .223 wylde sbrish pistol...id like to do something with the gas port like that but it seems like another project.

Edited by Ripcannon

1 hour ago, Ripcannon said:

hell yeah nice.i run a super light bcg with a heavy action spring on my .223 wylde sbrish pistol...id like to do something with the gas port like that but it seems like another project.

It's your rifle whatever you need to get it to run well and train with it.

No one mentioned that a forward assist requires a carrier with the machined steps for the foot to push on. Some rifles are made without a forward assist, and there are carriers out there without the steps. Another horrible option (in my opinion) is the lack of dust door. (No dust door and no forward assist are "slickside" rifles.) Some carriers do not have the dish to pop open the dust door. We talk about a very few select manufacturers here that did this, but it happens.

Mil-spec descriptions must also deal with the many various coatings, alloys, and treatments the parts are subjected to, or lack thereof.

AR15s have become a tinkertoy of sorts. Rifles, pistols, and SBRs could all be built from one receiver with all the parts easily fitting in a backpack. Lots of parts can go together, and often times they really shouldn't be put together. 

We all fall in love with certain breeds of ARs...and I am guilty of that too. I have those ARs that are strictly hunters that live life in a safe 99 percent of the time, and there are those ARs that get banged on the ground and covered with dust at training events. A good friend of mine always said, "If you don't get it dirty and beat on it, you will never know if you can trust your life with it."

• Like 1

"Mil-Spec" doesn't specify the dimensions or materials that a weapon is made of. Those come in what is called a ""Technical Data Package". Mil-Spec is a set of performance and testing requirements written as a guideline by the military.  F'rinsatnce here's a copy of the military specification for the M4: http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/milspec/MIL-C-71186_(AR).pdf

The actual material specifications and dimensional drawings are contained in a Technical Data Package. Most often these technical data package rights are purchased by .mil or have fallen into public domain. For years the other (non Colt) manufacturers of M16s/M4s had to pay Colt for usage of the TDPs.  For SnGs read up on the M4 debacle (https://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/Colt-M4-Data-Rights-The-Individual-Carbine-Competition-06942/) . How is the quality and dimensional standards developed? Either ARDEC creates them or they are created as a result of a weapons solicitation competition by a manufacturer. As an example for the MHS competition there were several different models of pistols involved, but with the MHS contract being awarded to Sig the technical data package for their submission becomes the official standard for the M17 after review and modifications by ARDEC.

Are the materials in the TDP the ultimate top quality? Not always. Most often they are a compromise of what is most economical to produce while meeting the performance requirements.

• Like 2