Sign in to follow this  
News Feeds

Murder suspect killed by gun-owning family he held hostage

Police-Mississippi-.jpg

Police in Vicksburg, Mississippi, arrive outside the home of a family taken hostage by Rafael Arnez McCloud (Photo: CNN screenshot)

A Mississippi family that was taken hostage by a murder suspect fought back and killed the man.

Police in Vicksbug said Rafael McCloud, 34, escaped Warren County jail on March 2. The suspect, who was indicted on murder and rape charges in January 2015, tied up a local family and kept them in their bathroom early Thursday morning.

All you ever needed to know about guns and gun rights – right from the WND Superstore

“The homeowner said he was able to free himself, fought with the suspect and sustained a stab wound to the back side of his shoulder,” police said, CNN reported Thursday.

After the female hostage exited the bathroom around 7 a.m. EST., “[she] returned with a handgun and fired one shot believing to strike McCloud. After the husband’s bonds were cut by the wife, the husband took control of the weapon and fired additional shots, striking McCloud. The family then ran outside and flagged a motorist and asked them to call 911,” police added.

mugshot.png

Rafael McCloud

McCloud escaped prison by using a homemade shank to surprise an officer and take his keys, clothes and a radio. He faced charges of arson, battery, capital murder, home invasion, sexual battery, weapon possession by a felon, grand larceny auto theft and burglary in connection for the killing of Sharon Wilson. The 69-year-old woman’s body was found in the grass behind a local hospital in June.

“I was kind of surprised he was still in the area,” neighbor Mike Keck said, the Associated Press reported Thursday. “I thought he would’ve tried to get as far away as possible. I’m glad to see it’s finally over. We can be at ease now.”

Warren County Sheriff Martin Pace said McCloud’s death was “not the outcome we wanted” since he will not stand trial.

“I am relieved that the family this morning was not injured more seriously than they were,” Pace said, CNN reported.

The husband was treated for a stab wound. His wife and 5-year-old son were not injured during the ordeal.

“There’s no telling how many lives were saved,” Vicksburg Police Capt. Sandra Williams added.

Continue reading...